#1 a_stitchintime

a_stitchintime

• Villager
  • 4,682 posts

• Joined 19-February 06

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

In time for Memorial Day:
[IMG]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr13/a_stitchintime/100_0470.jpg[/IMG]

....with a special thanks to those who tested the pattern, especially WIZ3283, who became my new friend in the process:clap

American Flag 10" square

Materials: Less than 1 ounce each of red, white, blue and gold worsted weight yarns.
Hook: G/4mm or size needed to obtain gauge
Tapestry Needle – for weaving in ends.
Gauge: 8 sc = 2", 8 rows = 2"
Note: Carry unused color on the wrong side of work where indicated. Each row = 39 sc

Instructions:
Row 1: With red, chain 40. Sc in 2nd ch from hook, and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn. (39 sc's)
Row 2: Sc in each st across, ch 1, turn.
Row 3: Sc in each st acrosstolast stitch. Finish last st with white(color change made).,. ch 1, turn.

Rows 4: With white and carrying red across the row, Scin each st across, Drop red ch 1, turn.
Row5. Sc in each st across
Row 6: Sc in each st across to last stitch. Drop white. Pick up red and finish last st with red. (color change made) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 7: With red and carrying white across the row, Sc in each st across, Drop white ch 1, turn.
Row 8. Sc in each st across
Row 9: Sc in each st across to last stitch. Drop red. Pick up white and finish last st with white. (color change made) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 10 - 12: Repeat rows 4 - 6.

Rows 13 - 15: Repeat rows 7 - 9.

Rows 16 - 18: Repeat rows 4 - 6.

Row 19: With red and carrying white sc in 1st 15 sts, finishing 15th st with blue to join & switch color. Drop red. With blue and carrying white sc across remainder of row. Ch 1, turn. (39 sc)

Row 20: With blue and carrying white Sc in next 3 sts. **Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o with white and pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 4 times; In next st, insert hook and draw up loop, Drop blue and white. Pick up red, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). Sc across remainder of row. Ch 1, turn.

Row 21: With red sc in next 14 sts. In next st, insert hook and draw up a loop, drop red and pick up blue and carry white. With blue Y/o and draw through 2 loops on hook (color change made). With blue and carrying white Sc across remainder of row. ch 1, turn.

Row 22: With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 5 sts. ** Pick up white carry blue In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 3 times; Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. SC in next st. In next stitch insert hook and draw up loop. Drop blue, pick up white, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). With white and carrying red Sc across remainder of row. Drop red. Ch 1, turn.

Row 23: With white Sc in next 14 sts. In next st, insert hook and draw up a loop, pick up blue and carry white Y/o and draw through 2 loops on hook (color change made). With blue and carrying white sc across remainder of row ch 1, turn.

Row 24: With blue and carrying white Sc in next 3 sts. **Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o with white and pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white, Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 4 times; .In next st, insert hook and draw up loop, Drop blue. With white y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). Sc in each st across to last stitch. In last stitch insert hook and draw up loop. Pick up red and carry white, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made).Ch 1, turn.

Row 25: Repeat row 19.

Row 26 With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 5 sts. ** Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 3 times; Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. SC in next st. In next stitch insert hook and draw up loop. Drop blue and white, pick up red, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). Sc across remainder of row. Ch 1, turn.

Row 27: repeat row 21.

Row 28: With blue and carrying white Sc in next 3 sts. **Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o with white and pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 4 times; In next st, insert hook and draw up loop. Drop blue, pick up white, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). With white and carrying red Sc across remainder of row. Drop red. Ch 1, turn.

Row 29: Repeat row 23

Row 30 With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 5 sts. ** Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 3 times; Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. SC in next st. In next stitch insert hook and draw up loop. With white y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). Drop blue. With white Sc in each st across to last stitch. In last stitch insert hook and draw up loop. Pick up red and carry white, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made).Ch 1, turn.

Row 31: Repeat row 19

Row 32: Repeat row 20

Row 33: Repeat row 21
Row 34: Repeat row 22

Row 35: Repeat row 23

Row 36: Repeat row 24

Row 37: Repeat row 19

Row 38: Repeat row 26.

Row 39: With red sc in 1st 15 sts, finishing 15th st with blue to join & switch color. Drop red., cut and tie off. With blue sc across remainder of row. Cut and tie off.

Weave in all ends.

For Border
Join gold with a sc in any stitch. Sc in each stitch and end of each row, making 3 sc's in corners. Finish off and weave in ends.

Copyright 2009: LeaAnne Marashio / a_stitchintime creations. All rights reserved. No sale of finished item without written permission.
This pattern was designed with the intent of supporting our troops, and showing American pride.
  • alacajun likes this

#2 kittyloverdeb

kittyloverdeb

• Villager
  • 7,242 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

Wow...what a great square! Thank you so much for sharing it with us here! :hug

Deb
Bag Lady #52 Miss Liberty 2010

#3 wiz3283

wiz3283

• Villager
  • 4,589 posts

• Joined 07-July 07

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

LeAnne Thanks again for letting me test this and help you out. I had a great time with it. I ended up making it into a pillow to go with a flag blanket I am working on. I will post a picture later this weekend.
Congrats on your new design! :hug
Wiz3283 - (Tammy)

Wish List - Click Here
Proud C'ville Bag Lady XXII - April Painted Desert

#4 _Stacy_

_Stacy_

• Villager
  • 3,372 posts

• Joined 18-August 08

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:44 AM

What an awesome square!! I love it. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern.

CAL:
Good Clean Fun
Swaps: chocolate, amigurumi
WIP: too many to list

#5 ratdog

ratdog

• Villager
  • 3,904 posts

• Joined 14-October 08

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

It is beautiful!

#6 oliveoil

oliveoil

• Villager
  • 4,901 posts

• Joined 13-April 07

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

That is one awesome square!!

#7 craziebunny

craziebunny

• Villager
  • 14,358 posts

• Joined 15-April 08

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful square!!
Sheila

Proud owner of #33"Violets of February Bag" Febuary 2009
Proud owner of Elle's Garnets on Ice Shawl January 2010
my blog
8" squares needed for friendship Ville afghan!!any color,any pattern >:)
wishlist

#8 darski

darski

• Villager
  • 13,333 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

Beautifully done!!!

I'm so proud of you. WTGG!

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships were built for..  :think

When in doubt... make a hat.      And feel free to *pin* me.
http://groups.yahoo....p/dudsfordoras/ 

#9 deedes

deedes

• Villager
  • 494 posts

• Joined 23-January 06

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

That is really beautiful. Great job

#10 MaryPat

MaryPat

• Villager
  • 4,037 posts

• Joined 14-July 05

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

What a wonderful design. I love how you've done the stars.

#11 DavaJ

DavaJ

• Villager
  • 679 posts

• Joined 26-February 07

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

Awesome job...Love it...
Proud Air Force Mom

#12 a_stitchintime

a_stitchintime

• Villager
  • 4,682 posts

• Joined 19-February 06

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

thanks, everyone, for the kind words!

I felt compelled to share it here, because it was for a Crochetville comfortghan that it came to be.

And, Tammy, I can't wait to see that 'ghan & pillow!

:ghug you all made my day!

#13 wiz3283

wiz3283

• Villager
  • 4,589 posts

• Joined 07-July 07

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

thanks, everyone, for the kind words!

I felt compelled to share it here, because it was for a Crochetville comfortghan that it came to be.

And, Tammy, I can't wait to see that 'ghan & pillow!

:ghug you all made my day!

Unfortunately the ghan I am making requires you to make 50 stars seperatly then sew them on. :rant:thair:bang:grumpy Since I hate sewing I most likely won't make another one of these ghans. I just finished making all those stars and I hope to get them all sewn on tomorrow. If not I will post a picture of the pillow seperately and post the ghan later.

Since I really hate to sew or weave a ton of ends, I really like this pattern. Only a few ends to sew in and no sewing on all those stars. :clap

Thanks again for letting me help you with this square. It was a lot of fun!!!!:hug
Wiz3283 - (Tammy)

Wish List - Click Here

#14 wiz3283

wiz3283

• Villager
  • 4,589 posts

• Joined 07-July 07

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

Since it is going to take me awhile to block and stitch on all these stars I decided to share these pictures for now. I used this square for the front of the pillow and then made another square in 3 stipes for the back. THe pics are not that great but here you go.

Attached Thumbnails

• LeaAnne flag 015.jpg
  • LeaAnne flag 018.jpg
  • LeaAnne flag 016.jpg
  • LeaAnne flag 017.jpg
  • LeaAnne flag 007.jpg

Wiz3283 - (Tammy)

Wish List - Click Here

#15 imanurse55

imanurse55

• Villager
  • 18,057 posts

• Joined 01-March 09

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

Way to go!:cheer and thanks for sharing the pattern with us

Joanne
Proud owner of Jelly Beans- Bag Lady #61!!(April 2011)

Make every day a good day!

#16 a_stitchintime

a_stitchintime

• Villager
  • 4,682 posts

• Joined 19-February 06

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

:drool :faint

Tammy, that 'ghan is drop-dead GORGEOUS!!!!
I really love it! :cheer:clap

I am glad that this square made such a nice pillow to go with it :hug

#17 rshseaeagle

rshseaeagle

• Villager
  • 775 posts

• Joined 17-April 08

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

Thanks so much for sharing - on my list of things I want to make.
This is the first American Flag pattern I have found that I really like. You did a super job with it.

Thanks again,
TLOL,
Toni
TLOL means Toni's Lots of Love not laugh out loud! Thank you Lady Crochat for the great idea!

#18 Arlinka

Arlinka

• Villager
  • 2,384 posts

• Joined 09-December 08

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:23 AM

Love this pattern!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

#19 unicorn37757

unicorn37757

• Villager
  • 4,701 posts

• Joined 14-April 05

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:23 AM

Looks great!:yay
Penny East Tennessee
http://www.ravelry.c...le/unicorn37757
2013 50 book challenge
2013 Stashbusting WTD = 0 YTD =+ 1
2013 Let it Snow (Snowflake CAL)

#20 tcandlgmom

tcandlgmom

• Villager
  • 542 posts

• Joined 11-June 07

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for sharing and great job!
Jenny

Proud owner of thepunkrockinchick's 1st June 2010 Sunburst Marketbag
2010 Favorite Color 2009 Winter Scarf ; Purse/Tote and Faux Can Be Fun 2008 Notions and Amigurumi Swaps
My Wishlist
My Blog

Friendship-ghan Square CAL I need 12" ww acrylic squares 15 of 24
Soldiersangels.org support our troops