10 replies to this topic

#1 smith

smith
  • Villager
  • 1,294 posts

• Joined 06-January 08

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

what do you do with old afghan's?

I have one I did for me several years ago out of redheart and it has been washed multiple times, it's kinda scratchy, some stitches came out but I hate to send it to the trash. We have a couple extras for the bed and a few snuggle blankets.
~Susan

#2 JoBug

JoBug
  • Villager
  • 4,604 posts

• Joined 28-August 06

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

I had an OLD granny square blanket that was made for me many moons ago, although I took very good care of it, some wear and tear does happen. What I did is, if you can no longer find the matching yarn, to fix the holes, find the closest thread color and sew them up best you can, then I covered the back of mine with fleece, hand sewed it on. Now I use it only as display, but because this one ment alot to me, I repaired it best I could and lined the back of it, because I want to keep it forever and ever. So thats just one persons idea.
If it doesn't mean anything to you, maybe you could frog it, take it apart and reuse the yarn?
Hugs
JoAnn
Hugs and Hooks
JoAnn
PROUD owner of MaryJo's CrochetVille Bag
Thank you all for loving me! As I am, the JoBug, and I STILL cant do the Daisy square..urghhhh

#3 KER828

KER828
  • Villager
  • 564 posts

• Joined 28-October 08

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

then I covered the back of mine with fleece, hand sewed it on.

What a great idea!!! I have an afghan my grandmother made in the pattern she taught me to crochet with - it is wearing thin so I think I will follow your example!!! Thanks!!!
Karen

WIP:
2010 Scarf & Hat Project - 2/55
Chemo Hats - St. Francis - 6 done
Promised RR's - 6 to be done
Luna Scarves - 1/6

Wishlist #10, #23

#4 bgs

bgs
  • Villager
  • 7,025 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

A few months ago my sister had me look through some blankets and afghans my folks no longer wanted. I suggested that she take them to a nursing home. She had never thought of that and said they were most grateful to get them.
Brenda

>>>Bag Lady 43 "Butter Popcorn" Nov 2009<<<

>>>Turtle's TLC Sept. 2011<<<

Friendship Ghan Square Cal

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,323 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

I fix them. I took a lot of my step moms old afghans to the local nursing home after she died. Dad just couldn't handle it. They gave them to the people that didn't have family to bring them things.

It's a wonderful thing to do (to donate) and bring joy and color into someone's life.

#6 Hookmaster

Hookmaster
  • Villager
  • 309 posts

• Joined 04-April 07

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

If they are not in good enough shape for the nursing home how about your local animal hospital or vet, dogs and cats love to snuggle up in them. I know mine do.

#7 oliveoil

oliveoil
  • Villager
  • 4,901 posts

• Joined 13-April 07

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

If the old afghans really mean something to you/sentimental value, I would fix them up as best I could. And if they are still in pretty much good condition, I would take to the the local rest homes, but if they're not in that good of condition, how about the local pet shelter...........just a thought!!:)

#8 rshseaeagle

rshseaeagle
  • Villager
  • 775 posts

• Joined 17-April 08

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

The nursing home is a great idea. Do you have a Hopsice in your area? They can always use afghans. My FIL was in hospice for two weeks before he passed away and we had taken in two afghans for him. It brought him a world of comfort.

The other ideas for the local animal shelters is a winner also. They Always need blankets, afghans, etc. You can also check with your local vet. I know mine always uses blankets and afghans for the animals who have just come out of surgery. It is more comfortable for them to lay on and makes them feel better.

TLOL,
Toni
TLOL means Toni's Lots of Love not laugh out loud! Thank you Lady Crochat for the great idea!

#9 MadeJust4You

MadeJust4You
  • Villager
  • 306 posts

• Joined 28-February 08

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

My 2 cents...I have found that sometimes when you take them apart and use the yarn for something 'new' and they seem to come back to life. My dad gave me an afghan that he knew I would love and it is huge. So huge I could not wash it after several years I had to start taking it apart. I used some of the yarn from that afghan to make the 45 roses for mom for Christmas to stand for the 45 years Mom was married to dad before he went to his promotion. =)
Lisa
Working on 8 Cowls for Cmas

#10 craziebunny

craziebunny
  • Villager
  • 14,358 posts

• Joined 15-April 08

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

really sure that in a mag thinking it was crochet today back in april 2008 that it had where you can make purses and stuff from old afghans..
Sheila

Proud owner of #33"Violets of February Bag" Febuary 2009
Proud owner of Elle's Garnets on Ice Shawl January 2010
my blog
8" squares needed for friendship Ville afghan!!any color,any pattern >:)
wishlist

#11 smith

smith
  • Villager
  • 1,294 posts

• Joined 06-January 08

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

thank yoiu all, I'm thing I'm going to try to fix it and see if anyone at work could use it....
~Susan