• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 KER828

KER828
  • Villager
  • 564 posts

• Joined 28-October 08

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

So how do I go about spinning human hair?

Why on earth would you want to? (I've been dying to say that since I saw this topic - just had to get it out of my system!!!:devil)
Karen

WIP:
2010 Scarf & Hat Project - 2/55
Chemo Hats - St. Francis - 6 done
Promised RR's - 6 to be done
Luna Scarves - 1/6

Wishlist #10, #23

#22 Kimblee

Kimblee
  • Villager
  • 200 posts

• Joined 13-May 07

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

My dad has a pocket watch where the chain is made from human hair, he told me it's from the Victorian era and that it was made from one of my family members' hair, I forget whose tho. Very interesting :think

A friend of my uncle has a watch chain of my hair.

I was at Uncle's combing out my hair and mentioned i was having it cut intoa pixie in a few days, and he asked If he could have a strand of it, since it was coming off anyway.

Aparently, where he comes from, a little girl "memento" is a good charm against some evil. Don;t remember much, just that he's always been very superstitious and I thought it was funny, so i agreed. Uncle braided a littlwe strand really tight, tied it at the top and bottom and snipped it off.

Sometimes I see his friend's watch and have to giggle a bit.

#23 Suigetsu

Suigetsu
  • Villager
  • 24 posts

• Joined 21-January 10

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

In Japan they make a calligraphy brush out of the baby's first haircut. I think it would be neat to make stuff out of human hair as long as it's washed properly.

#24 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,825 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

I would think younger age hair..ie baby hair would be soft and ok as a scarf or something..just seems adult hair for the most part would be coarser and not as comfortable..thinking ends.. unless it was all split ends :D: crack me up

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#25 emtpixie

emtpixie
  • Villager
  • 128 posts

• Joined 14-September 09

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

Interesting concept... I have never thought of using hair to crochet with! I'm not sure what all would be good to make from it, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless. I bet you will have the only scarf around that has to be shampooed rather than washed! :D
"Be the change you want to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#26 HelloLittleBirds

HelloLittleBirds
  • Villager
  • 30 posts

• Joined 29-January 10

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

There's also stories from ancient history of besieged cities where women gave up their hair to make ropes that were used to fire mechanical artillery back at the seige force. So, it must be pretty strong.

#27 silkymist

silkymist
  • Villager
  • 1,102 posts

• Joined 30-December 05

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

Heheh..love this thread topic,err hair. I think it would be very unusual, and something that might catch on.l
SilkyMist
Before giving someone a piece of mind be sure you have enough to spare!

MyEtsy:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5714219

MySpace URL:

http://www.myspace.com/stitchniche

#28 cm4bleenmb64

cm4bleenmb64
  • Villager
  • 76 posts

• Joined 18-February 08

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

I was always under the impression that human hair did not work well because of the structural make-up; something about the cuticle, I think. I'm not a spinner and I don't remember what I read, it was a long time ago. Lately I have been thinking about learning to spin, and if I do, I thought of collecting hair from my step-daughter's cat and trying that mixed with some wool or something so I could make her something from it. I, too, would love to see some pictures if anyone does this.
I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library. - Jorge Luis Borges

#29 MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm
  • Villager
  • 209 posts

• Joined 05-October 06

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

I am currently keeping my hair I comb out and spinning it up for a watch chain for my husband.

I have long hair and do not need to do anything special before I spin. It is not soft by any means of the word, but it will be a very sturdy watch chain!
Cyndi

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading

Real Milk Soaps!

#30 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,825 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

very cool Cyndi. Do you have some pictures?

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#31 MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm
  • Villager
  • 209 posts

• Joined 05-October 06

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

No pictures of the spun hair yet. I only started this about a month ago. I have maybe 10 yards spun up. I do have pictures of my hair though

http://www.mullersla...ir04052012d.jpg

hmmm, what happened to the image posting???
Cyndi

Muller's Lane Farm

Real Milk Soaps!

#32 Montynz

Montynz
  • Villager
  • 9 posts

• Joined 28-April 12

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

if you dont tie up your hair while spinning,you well end up spinning your own hair into it,and having to pick/pull it out LOL
Apparently our hair is over 60 microns and most desired wearing fiber is between 16(and under)-35 microns,but just because you spin hair doesnt means you have to wear it,eg/ a woven wall hanging.The art yarn spinners well spin anything including horses tail and mane hair that is more like fishing line.

#33 MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm
  • Villager
  • 209 posts

• Joined 05-October 06

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

if you dont tie up your hair while spinning,you well end up spinning your own hair into it,and having to pick/pull it out LOL

Never have this problem since my head is far above my arms and my arms are far back from the orifice while spinning.
Cyndi

Muller's Lane Farm

Real Milk Soaps!

#34 Montynz

Montynz
  • Villager
  • 9 posts

• Joined 28-April 12

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

wow you are lucky... mine gets everywhere

#35 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,542 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Now this is giving me ideas! My hair is long and baby fine. I wonder if I could crochet with it the way it is? Just snip a small amount right at the scalp and make a thin crocheted chain with it. Part way along, start adding more, and continue in this manner until I am either bald, or I think the chain strand is long enough. The chain strand would be like having a strand of yarn.

I wonder how badly the hair would be trying to slip out while I'm trying to crochet it in? Well, it's an idea anyway. I don't know if I would really do it, but my hair is about 2 feet long, maybe more.

#36 wheat

wheat
  • Villager
  • 404 posts

• Joined 16-May 07

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

I am currently keeping my hair I comb out and spinning it up for a watch chain for my husband.

You might also want to look for a book on Victorian Hair Braiding as keepsakes. - interesting bits of history

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Wheat@YARNandTHREAD.net

Read: Wheat Wrote WHAT !?!?  http://www.WheatCarr.com

Shop: ItsAllJustString http://www.itsalljuststring.com/

Like: Facebook http://www.FaceBook/ItsAllJustString

#37 HomekeepingGran

HomekeepingGran
  • Villager
  • 3,224 posts

• Joined 19-February 07

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

I would think younger age hair..ie baby hair would be soft and ok as a scarf or something..just seems adult hair for the most part would be coarser and not as comfortable..thinking ends.. unless it was all split ends :D: crack me up

I'm 62 and STILL have baby fine hair — well, most of it is. The brown is still baby fine while the grey is a tiny bit coarser. The brown at the nape of my neck is incredibly soft. It's so long (past my hips) that I don't think it could be spun, but certainly it could be braided.

Check out spinning magazines, especially ones like Interweave's Spin-Off. There you will fairly regularly see projects of dog hair. I don't know why at least some human's hair would not work as well; I'm not so sure about heavily dyed or otherwise processed hair.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. Proverbs 31:13

Crochet WIPs:
Oh, just whatever strikes my fancy, but probably thread...

ATM: http://www.ravelry.c...enterpiece-p-20

#38 wheat

wheat
  • Villager
  • 404 posts

• Joined 16-May 07

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

With the clear understanding, based on hard lessons learned, I am NOT by any means suggesting you really want to pursue this.

Victorian Hair Braiding was often referred to as "Mourning Jewlery" because it was done to keep momentos of deceased loved ones.

Spinning "Hair" type fiber (as opposed to "Fleece" like sheep or dog undercoats) is by no means a beginner spinning project.

You are also going to need a lot more hair than you might think.  Probably at least 3/4-1.5 pounds of hair to get enough yarn to make a scarf.  A project I would not undertake because the yarn is going to be too fragile to hold up to the normal wear of a scarf.

Spinning human hair can be done, but like any other "hair" it will not be easy.  Basically the structure of human hair does not lend itself to spinning but if you are determined to go forward. It is going to be a very slippery yarn and so you will have some issues when it comes to crocheting the scarf first because it won't hold together very well and second because it will stretch and break rather easily.

(yes, I am really trying to discourage you - painful as it is for me to do so)

If you are still determined to go forward <G>

Interweave has/had at least one free ebook on spinning with a drop spindle, you will want to learn the technique often used for cotton with a supported spindle.

You may want to see if your library can get a copy of

The Art Of Hair Work, Hair Braiding and Jewelry Of Sentiment, Mark Campbell

as it contains LOTS of good information on working with hair.

Although more of a knitting book, Knitting with Dog Hair has some info on how to spin. 

Once again, I am not encouraging this, just giving you some possibly useful sources of information

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Wheat@YARNandTHREAD.net

Read: Wheat Wrote WHAT !?!?  http://www.WheatCarr.com

Shop: ItsAllJustString http://www.itsalljuststring.com/

Like: Facebook http://www.FaceBook/ItsAllJustString