• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 loopy1

loopy1
  • Villager
  • 4,812 posts

• Joined 14-September 06

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

Anybody know how to make these curlies for a candy cane ornament (link below). I have some instructions for using white pipe cleaners and I don't like how they turn out. This one looks like it might not have a pipe cleaner.

I used to make hair ties that would curl up but I don't remember how.

About 2-3 mos. ago, I pm'd Vik who made it but never heard from her. Some links were posted by shadow and angelfire, but I get the "404 Not Found" message.

http://www.crochetvi...79&postcount=88

Thanks for any help...:ty

:hug

Jeannie - Partially Color Blind

* If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.-- Ronald Reagan
* It's such a comfort to drop the "tangles" of life into God's hands & leave them there. ~ He puts the song in my heart!

#2 lhendrix35

lhendrix35
  • Villager
  • 973 posts

• Joined 19-October 08

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

I used to make curly things, too, and can't remember exactly how. Try making several stitches in each chain and see what thet does. Good luck.

#3 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,306 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

To make the curliques: Chain a length (I'm guessing) about 1/3 again longer than you want the end product. It's safer to chain more, and you can always pick out what you don't need without harm.

Chain 3, turn, and make at least 5 dc in each chain; the more, the curlier. When you are done, thread the pipe cleaner down the middle (or wrap the curl around it). Tada!!

I make padded hanger covers for my wire hangers this way to get rid of little partial yarn balls, works great!!

Edited by Granny Square, 29 November 2008 - 06:33 PM.
can't spell

Granny Square

#4 ScoobyDoo0811

ScoobyDoo0811
  • Villager
  • 2,447 posts

• Joined 06-February 08

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:07 PM

Here is teakaycee's book thongs that have the curly cue thingies at the end. I hope this will help you.

http://www.crochetvi...k thongs&page=3

#5 loopy1

loopy1
  • Villager
  • 4,812 posts

• Joined 14-September 06

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hey, thank you all! Looks like the information you gave me should work. Not gonna try again tonight but probably tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks bunches!

* If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.-- Ronald Reagan
* It's such a comfort to drop the "tangles" of life into God's hands & leave them there. ~ He puts the song in my heart!

#6 angelfire

angelfire
  • Villager
  • 5,454 posts

• Joined 01-April 06

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

To make the curliques: Chain a length (I'm guessing) about 1/3 again longer than you want the end product. It's safer to chain more, and you can always pick out what you don't need without harm.

Chain 3, turn, and make at least 5 dc in each chain; the more, the curlier. When you are done, thread the pipe cleaner down the middle (or wrap the curl around it). Tada!!

I make padded hanger covers for my wire hangers this way to get rid of little partial yarn balls, works great!!

I made an ornament like that, no pipe cleaner though, I made one white curlique and one red one and then twisted them together. I made them with thread and starched them afterwards
Circles of Hope
Charity 2012, Crochet for a Cure, Relay for Life tote bags

#7 tjw1963

tjw1963
  • Villager
  • 149 posts

• Joined 05-January 08

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:50 AM

Is this what you might be looking for?
Video Tutorial: Crochet Candy Cane - Christmas Holiday
Written Instructions: Crochet CandyCane

Video Tutorial: Crochet Christmas Wreath - Holiday
Written Instructions:Crochet Christmas Wreath
Teresa
Free Crochet Patterns
http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/

Crochet Video Tutorials
http://www.youtube.com/tjw1963

Granny Square and Applique Patterns
http://crochet-mania-grannysquare.blogspot.com/

#8 craftylady1956

craftylady1956
  • Villager
  • 1,496 posts

• Joined 10-September 06

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:44 AM

Hi I saw your posts about the curly candy cane--I am in midst of making
(from my own pattern) a curly arm & leg clown someone had shown me....It is coming out perfect---Here's how I did the arms & legs... if you have a cane you like--count how many "circles or rounds" there are. Multiply that number by 4. Now ch that many ch sts to begin. ch 3, 2 dc in same ch , 3 dc in ea remaining ch.ch 3 turn. Next row-- 2dc insame st, 3 dc in each ch. this will get it to curl...I will post the entire pattern with photo when clown is complete--I hope the above helps:manyheart

#9 dmandy

dmandy
  • Villager
  • 185 posts

• Joined 28-August 05

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:09 AM

This isn't a curly one but it is still nice.

http://www.planetjun...rns/candy-cane/

Donna Marie

#10 loopy1

loopy1
  • Villager
  • 4,812 posts

• Joined 14-September 06

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. The one where you put 3sc in each chain works very well for me. I did one in yarn and it was too fat and huge for what I want. So I did one in #5 thread, Pearl/White with silver metallic and Red. I like the sparkle the silver metallic gives it.

So again, thank you all so much for taking your time to respond.

#11 loopy1

loopy1
  • Villager
  • 4,812 posts

• Joined 14-September 06

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

Oh Bonnie! I just saw that you didn't use a pipe cleaner but starched yours instead. I like that. Making mine with #5 thread as I stated above.