Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

How much yarn do I need?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ratdog

ratdog
  • Villager
  • 3,149 posts

• Joined 14-October 08

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

Hi! I am thinking about making an afghan for a gift. The recipient is a big guy! I would like to make a 'ripple' (which I have never tried before) and would need to make a larger than standard afghan (about 78" long/ 60" wide)

Most patterns I have sen are for "throws" or Lapghans.

Any ideas for patterns and yarn quantity? I am thinking about Vanna's Choice or Thick and Quick.

#2 debra way

debra way
  • Villager
  • 829 posts

• Joined 02-March 08

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hello ratdog,

I am no expert, but I found a pattern for a easy ripple (think it's called beginners ripple) on line somewhere. Maybe at Bev's crochet cottage. What I would do is maybe double it or at least increase the width by half, and the same with the length. Ripples might be hard to double the pattern with. If I were doing this, I would get the patter for a 5 &1/2 hour afghan, and double it. It's a simple pattern, and would be easy to increase in size.Vanna's choice is nice, I am not familiar with Thick and quick.

Good luck, hope this helped some!

Debra
Debra
Ask me about Scentsy!

#3 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,603 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

I love the quickie ripple, works up very fast and is an easy goof proof pttern. Just chain longer for what you need and you can remove any unsed chains when you get to the end. Then just keep going until it's as long as you want. If you start this and need help just PM me. Mary

#4 marikamum

marikamum
  • Villager
  • 1,573 posts

• Joined 24-January 08

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

If you were thinking of a ripple with Vanna's Choice, there is a ripple pattern on the Lion Brand site using Vanna's Choice : http://www.lionbrand...ns/70130AD.html

I used the quantities and size to calculate approximately how much you would need, I'll post my reasoning as well, so that if it is faulty, someone can correct it :D.

The pattern makes an afghan that is 42"wide x46"long and uses 9 skeins of VC yarn.

First I calculated the difference in desired width: 60/42 = 1.43 times the size of the afghan: 1.43 x 9 skeins = 12.85 skeins for a 60" wide x 46" long afghan.

Next I calculated the difference in length: 78/46 = 1.7 times the size of the wider afghan: 1.7 x 12.85 skeins = 21.845 skeins (or 22) for a 60" wide x 78" long afghan.

I reckon you could use this line of reasoning to expand and approximate how much yarn you would need for whatever pattern you choose... the ripple in question is a bit different to the normal patterns I've seen, so you might prefer a more standard pattern...

Cheers,

Edited by marikamum, 30 October 2008 - 05:22 PM.

Marika
My Wish List (Non USA Members #39)
My (Very Sparse) Blog
Snowflake Mondays 2009 CAL
WIPS: Stars for Kat, slippers for Stephen, sunhat for me for playground duty.
Project list on Ravelry - username Marikamum

#5 ratdog

ratdog
  • Villager
  • 3,149 posts

• Joined 14-October 08

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate it. That Quick Ripple looks great! I may try it (AFTER the holidays - especially if I get new hooks and gift cards from "Santa")