Photo

[ENDED] Crochetville Doily Swap - LAST DAY to mail your doily IS TODAY!!

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#21 Chie

Chie

• Villager
  • 178 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:49 PM

I'm in!!! :D
I filled the survey already, Julie. :hook

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My blog: Chie Crochets & Knits too!
Ravelry: chiecrochets

#22 Julie

Julie

• Villager
  • 8,124 posts

• Joined 08-March 05

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

Alright, call me ditzy, having a blonde moment, etc etc etc....but I forgot what size doily I signed up for. I know I clicked no preference at first but did I change that to large or small? I really don't care either way but I would like to know so I can start planning! I was so excited I didn't even print out the survey that I had completed! DUH!!!

:D You signed up for a small doily, 8" or less

So far we have 5 for small doilies, 2 for large and 7 with no preference. Thank you ladies!!

#23 diamond

diamond

• Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

:D You signed up for a small doily, 8" or less

So far we have 5 for small doilies, 2 for large and 7 with no preference. Thank you ladies!!

Can I change it to the large???? Perty pleeeeeeease????? I promise, whoever gets my doily won't be disappointed.
~ Diamond aka Cheryl ~
~ My avatar/model is my Shih Tzu, DustMop aka Dusty ~

#24 xantha

xantha

• Villager
  • 1,384 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:03 PM

On another note: are the doilies supposed to be round, or can they be square, oblong, etc.? Told ya I was a pain!

I think any shape is fine... but that might be something you'll want to talk to your swap partner about when they are assigned. Like: did you specifically want a round doily, or is another shape okay? :)

You guys are making me want to sign up, but I just don't think I have the time this go 'round.

#25 Julie

Julie

• Villager
  • 8,124 posts

• Joined 08-March 05

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

Can I change it to the large???? Perty pleeeeeeease????? I promise, whoever gets my doily won't be disappointed.

Yes, you can. I just realized you said that before. ;) Consider it done.

#26 diamond

diamond

• Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:12 PM

:clap :hug :ty Julie!!! :day :jumpyay :woo
~ Diamond aka Cheryl ~
~ My avatar/model is my Shih Tzu, DustMop aka Dusty ~

#27 losingmymind2

losingmymind2

• Villager
  • 7,639 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:28 PM

I have a pattern for a 12 inch square, so hopefully my partner will like one that size and shape...of course if they don't want that, I guess I have to go shopping for...MORE PATTERNS!!! :devil

Kathy

#28 swapnae

swapnae

• Villager
  • 784 posts

• Joined 25-April 05

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:10 PM

Me, me, me, me!!:jumpyay:jumpyay:jumpyay:jumpyay This will be my first swap and I'm so excited! (I hide it well, don't I :D).
Can I send out multiple doilies but receive only one? I have lots of doilies/patterns stacked up. Will it be okay to send out stuff I made a time ago? It's unused, only waiting for a loving home....But I'd love the excuse to make more too...:hook:hook:hook
I've filled in the survey, by the way. :)

#29 ThreadHeroine

ThreadHeroine

• Villager
  • 166 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:27 PM

YAY! One for doilies! :cheer Count me in as well! I can't wait to start :hook

#30 Julie

Julie

• Villager
  • 8,124 posts

• Joined 08-March 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:52 AM

So we are doing one doily for one person and that is it? Or are we sending 2 or 3 over the course of 50 days? Sorry I want to join and I found a pattern that I can understand, I wanted to make sure.

Also how do I know if I want to do under or above 8"? I looked at the pattern and it looks bigger than 8" but it doesnt give exact unless I am missing it?

Ideally speaking we are only doing a doily for one person. I'm still a little torn on that. In a few days I'll post a little poll question and see what everyone thinks about it, but want to give more people time to sign up first.

Somewhere on the pattern it should state how large the doily will be when finished. I know I've stumbled across a few online that don't specify. I'd select the "either one is fine" to be safe, and then I'd pair you up with someone who selected the same choice.

Can I send out multiple doilies but receive only one? I have lots of doilies/patterns stacked up. Will it be okay to send out stuff I made a time ago? It's unused, only waiting for a loving home....But I'd love the excuse to make more too...:hook:hook:hook

;) I hadn't thought of that one either. We can work something out if you want but usually you would only get the address of the person you are swapping with, not the whole list. You could also sign up for the RAOKs too, and RAOK people with doilies that are just waiting to be adopted. :D

#31 swapnae

swapnae

• Villager
  • 784 posts

• Joined 25-April 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:05 AM

You could also sign up for the RAOKs too, and RAOK people with doilies that are just waiting to be adopted.

I have signed up for the RAOKs, and have been checking. I guess I should look for people asking for "handmade" and "homemade" stuff...:think:think in general or doilies in particular.

#32 Chatty

Chatty

• Villager
  • 1,211 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:16 AM

I haven't made a doily in so long this might be the :kick I need to get to making some more.

I filled out the survey and chose the smaller one since I want to be able to finish before the deadline and am not sure if I can finish a larger one.

Edit: I may switch to the larger doily if I can find one that isn't too large, I'll let you know.

I've changed my mind, I found a large doily I really like, put me down for a large.

:frog

Ever get the feeling your stuff strutted off without you?
If you want me to respond to you, being deliberately obnoxious and disruptive is not the way to go about it.
My blog
My Pattern Blog
Where I host my pics at:
http://www.imageshack.us/
http://s165.photobuc.../u65/Chattybox/

#33 Cordelia

Cordelia

• Villager
  • 881 posts

• Joined 10-May 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:43 AM

I have signed up for the RAOKs, and have been checking. I guess I should look for people asking for "handmade" and "homemade" stuff...:think:think in general or doilies in particular.

Swapnae I think anyone would love ANYTHING crocheted....even if they arent a big time "user" of doilies...for the simple fact..its handmade, crocheted more specifially, and art is art, right???? :hug

I've been pouring over doliy patterns like a mad woman LOL!!!:D

#34 faithpa76

faithpa76

• Villager
  • 6,723 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:57 AM

LOL, there are quite a few people who have doilies on their lists! I myself am not a threadie but absolutely love doilies - you can be sure I'll be following this thread to see what doilies people make/recevie! :)

Faith ~ The Crocheting Cook

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~ Elizabeth Stone

#35 Chatty

Chatty

• Villager
  • 1,211 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:13 AM

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of old craft magazines. Some are craft, some crochet specific, some knit/crochet. I found a doily pattern from an April, 1986 issue of one of them and am trying it.

:frog

Ever get the feeling your stuff strutted off without you?
If you want me to respond to you, being deliberately obnoxious and disruptive is not the way to go about it.
My blog
My Pattern Blog
Where I host my pics at:
http://www.imageshack.us/
http://s165.photobuc.../u65/Chattybox/

#36 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Villager
  • 2,821 posts

• Joined 28-March 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:02 PM

How are we to mail the doilies? Rolled in a tube? Flat with cardboard to protect?

I am trying to determine which mailing address to use, and this might help me decide! I have my US PO Box address which accepts anything that can be stuffed inside an Airborne Express bag to be re-mailed to me, or my address in Belgium which results in more expensive postage costs - if I can make it cheaper for the wonderful person who get my name, I would like to do so! :)

#37 losingmymind2

losingmymind2

• Villager
  • 7,639 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

Perhaps those with special mail needs could specify that they need the item to fit a certain size package:mail such as a large mailing envelope or shortened paper towel roll. How would you normally ship a doily, anyway? Stiffened and rolled over something, or do you mail them 'soft' and the reciever stiffen them? It's so damp right now I could starch something to death and it still wouldn't stand up straight.

Kathy in coastal NC...who's about to get violent on a :frog if he doesn't get on down the road and out of my pond...that sucker is LOUD and I don't need a reminder of what I did all day, frogged a dishcloth 3 times!

#38 Julie

Julie

• Villager
  • 8,124 posts

• Joined 08-March 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:18 PM

Shipping large doilies is definitely a consideration. I just sent a 22" one wrapped around a gift wrap tube in a poster mailer and it arrived okay. It wasn't stiffened of course, just blocked. Sending overseas in a poster mailer might be hard - I know the cheaper postage rates for Global Priority are for the flat mailers. I've used those before too, just stuck a piece of cardboard in the envelope with the doily to keep it flat... it's an option. Maybe check with the post office for a suggestion on how to package them to ship overseas. :think

#39 Katchkan

Katchkan

• Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

I too have been pouring over my pattern books. I haven't made a doily for a while. Should be fun to do this. I don't plan on shipping stiffened, just blocked. Hope that will be okay? We live in such a damp climate I rarely stiffen anything as it doesn't hold up well. I just block them and they do fine.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

The Threads to my heart are wrapped around a Hook
CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#40 swapnae

swapnae

• Villager
  • 784 posts

• Joined 25-April 05

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:26 AM

Would it be ok to just block a doily and mail it off in an envelope? I'm thinking cardboard and stuff would raise the postage costs.... still:think