Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Yarn Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pasteeater

pasteeater
  • Villager
  • 5,061 posts

• Joined 14-February 08

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

:yesI have a pattern book for some very quick and easy rugs that I'd like to make a few for my [hopefully prayerfully lol] house. The problem is this: It calls for braided yarn 6mm??? What is that? Is that macrame? I looked on the net and I don't know where to buy it? I don't have the money YET but I'd like to know what to look for when I do have the money. Any idea about this yarn? I just want to know what it is. Thanks so much!!!! :hook:yay

#2 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,448 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:14 PM

Here is an :ebay auction for some braided yarn... it might give you a starting place so you know what it would look like. It looks like a fine cord.

if you have a 6mm crochet hook (size I ?) it would give you an idea of the general heft.

I just did a :google for 6mm braided yarn and got a few hits :eek

When in doubt... make a hat.      And feel free to *pin* me.
http://groups.yahoo....p/dudsfordoras/

My Boxing Day CAL counts to date: hats - 27;  lapghans 3:  shawls - 3, pet snugly -1, slippers -3

#3 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,603 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:58 PM

Look in the book and see if they give a company name or anything to buy the yarn needed. What is the name of the book? I may have it here and can check if I see anything. Mary

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,745 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:44 AM

I make great rugs using 2 or 3 strands of regular worsted weight yarn, like Red Heart Super Saver. It's durable, economical, and there's plenty of color choice. This way, you can also tweed a rug, or shade it.

#5 pasteeater

pasteeater
  • Villager
  • 5,061 posts

• Joined 14-February 08

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

I make great rugs using 2 or 3 strands of regular worsted weight yarn, like Red Heart Super Saver. It's durable, economical, and there's plenty of color choice. This way, you can also tweed a rug, or shade it.

That's a good idea! It calls for a Q hook and is only about 8 rounds so that works SO well for me lol. Do you think it should be 3 or 4 strands?

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,745 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:04 AM

Well, a Q hook is huge. Try 4 strands and do a swatch using the stitch called for in the rug pattern. You can add or subtract strands according to how your swatch comes out.

This is a wonderful old method for tweeding. If you have a pattern that calls for normal worsted weight, but you want to tweed it, you can usually substitute 2 strands of sport weight or 3 strands of baby weight. For heavier weights, experiment!