Photo

Flat Braid Join Method Vs. Edging and Sewing

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is faster for square joining... Flat Braid Method or Edge and Sew Method (77 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is faster for square joining... Flat Braid Method or Edge and Sew Method

1. Flat Braid is definitely Faster (15 votes [19.48%])

Percentage of vote: 19.48%

2. Edge and Sew is faster way to go (5 votes [6.49%])

Percentage of vote: 6.49%

3. Both come out to take about the same time (7 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. Don't know I've only done one of these methods so can't compare (50 votes [64.94%])

Percentage of vote: 64.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,422 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

I didn't vote in the poll because, although I prefer flat braid method, I have no idea if it is faster. I do drop the loop and since I'm holding the squares closely together, I find it doesnt slow me down.

this is how I do the corners. www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/hmb_corner_details.html I have experimented to get the right number of chains in the loops at the corners.

When I try to sc or sew the squares together I always feel like the joining is too tight or too inflexible. Flat braid lets the join move and be flexible.
--Kathy
I'm Kaycrochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together at the Fulton MO public library Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#22 Cherokee2

Cherokee2
  • Villager
  • 497 posts

• Joined 16-November 07

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

I've never tried the flat braid joining method, I usually slip stitch or just sew them together. I can sew them together faster, though. I honestly don't mind the sewing at all. In fact, if someone refuses to sew, they are really missing out on a lot of projects that are fun, and look nice once done.

#23 Flia

Flia
  • Villager
  • 768 posts

• Joined 02-January 08

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:33 AM

That looks so nice. I've never seen it before either.

#24 squirrel

squirrel
  • Villager
  • 244 posts

• Joined 19-October 06

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:04 AM

Looks great - I'm going to have to try this
WIP: white snowflakes baby blanket

#25 KellyA

KellyA
  • Villager
  • 1,489 posts

• Joined 19-January 06

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

This is my latest way of joining squares, it was great :hug:yay
http://www.crochetca...g_squares3a.htm
I don't know what type of squares you're joining but I am sure this will work.
Good Luck and please share your finished ghan :crocheting
Kelly
ROAK Group 3 #24
http://kalbrecht7.blogspot.com/
Stash Bustin scores

07 YTD -15 08 YTD -114

09 WTD 0 YTD -69

12 Scarf CAL Jan through July = 2 per month total of 14

#26 wheat

wheat
  • Villager
  • 404 posts

• Joined 16-May 07

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

I really like flat braid and certainly use it for "special projects" but it does take a bit longer. Perhaps only because I do not use it all the time.

On the other hand, I generaly use a simpler form to join.
I like the finished look and stability that and edging of single crochet adds to each square - usually in a single color which works well with all used in the project, but not necessarily from the colors already used.

Then, I usually slip stitch back and forth - which creates the look of single crochet, and helps to keep the joins less bulky.

HTH

Wheat

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Wheat@YARNandTHREAD.net

Read: Wheat Wrote WHAT !?!?  http://www.WheatCarr.com

Shop: ItsAllJustString http://www.itsalljuststring.com/

Like: Facebook http://www.FaceBook/ItsAllJustString

#27 mamarose22

mamarose22
  • Villager
  • 22,343 posts

• Joined 23-December 06

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

I generally join them by holding the squares right side together and slip stitching through the back loops. I like the ridge effect it gives.
I am currently making a scrap yo-yo afghan using the flat braid method, but not with a contrasting color, I am using the same color as the yo-yo and joining as I go along. This way I can use up all my tiny balls of leftovers.

WINTER ROAK
Wish List, post 37

BAG LADY CLUB

winner April 2013

#28 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,422 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

Mamarose, that sounds like it is going to be very pretty! Hope to see a photo when it's done:hook
--Kathy
I'm Kaycrochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together at the Fulton MO public library Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#29 Cliffnote

Cliffnote
  • Villager
  • 790 posts

• Joined 11-February 08

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

I love this method of joining! It is very forgiving, does not give you "seams" and gives it a bit of a fancier look. I made an afghan with 12 inch squares and I really like the way that this method gave it!

I voted in the poll that I wasnt sure because I did one of these methods which was the flat braid. I did try slip stitching it but I didnt like the look so I tore it out and did the flat braid.

Edited by Cliffnote, 10 May 2009 - 07:13 AM.

2009-50 book challenge 24/50
My Blog[/LEFT]

#30 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,076 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

My current favourite join is the continuous join as demonstrated by Bethintx1

I hope this playlist works as it has all 4 vids together

It would not work for every square but it is very nice and makes a great join/ghan.

Edit to add: Kelly, that is the same method as I have. Beth is doing videos as a continuation of Sandie's instructions.. from Susan's work. :wlol

Edited by darski, 10 May 2009 - 08:03 AM.
new info

When in doubt... make a hat.      And feel free to *pin* me.
http://groups.yahoo....p/dudsfordoras/

My Boxing Day CAL counts to date: hats - 27;  lapghans 3:  shawls - 3, pet snugly -1, slippers -3

#31 Tampa Doll

Tampa Doll
  • Villager
  • 23,482 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

I want to try the flat braid joinging, as I am not a sewer. If I can get away from it, I will.

Maybe it is like anything else, you just need a little practice.:hook

#32 bethintx1

bethintx1
  • Villager
  • 350 posts

• Joined 30-August 07

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

If you do the flat braid method and incorporate the continuous join its definitely faster... and you use less yarn! Less tails to draw in!

#33 ciara

ciara
  • Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 02-September 09

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

i love how the flat braid is forgiving for slightly different sized squares... i made an afghan of a train theme with patterns from all different sources and different brands of ww acrylic.... the squares were close but not quite same size... flat braid allowed me to join and have some forgiveness in sizing. (this was my first time trying this method so the corners are not as perfect as i would like -- i used chris simon's instructions)
Wyatt's Blanket
:crocheting

#34 jillybean

jillybean
  • Villager
  • 268 posts

• Joined 21-September 08

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

The last method I used was slip stitch. I'm not always happy with the raised edge from the crochet method, and I agree with the sewing comment, I usually run out of "thread" before I'm at the end of the row. With slip stitch you're just weaving the thread from the ball through the stitches, no raised edge, no lack of thread or extra ends to weave in.
2012 WIP:"Pretty Pattern" afghan and a cluster-style afghan, both due by Christmas!
2012 Book Challenge: 62/50
2012 Projects:
"Courtship" afghan from 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws; "Shell Clusters Lapghan" from Red Heart, bright ripple.

"The religions have it wrong. God isn't in holy books and churches. God's out here where the sky feels like it goes on forever." Charles deLint

#35 grannyzkraftz

grannyzkraftz
  • Villager
  • 1,994 posts

• Joined 13-October 08

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

I love the way the flat braid method looks i work at a small table with everything laid out flat it seems to go much faster and easier that way
Janny

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over...it turned into a butterfly

MYBLOG>>http://grannyzkraftk...r.blogspot.com/

#36 trugem

trugem
  • Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 24-June 11

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

The method you are describing is called the zig-zag join. It creates texture on the front, but not as hard of a line as if you did a sc join. I really like the way it looks:cheer

#37 Flia

Flia
  • Villager
  • 768 posts

• Joined 02-January 08

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

This seems to be what I've done a few times, but not with the 3ch.
But to me (being I foreigner maybe) the word "braid" seems a bit awkward since it neither works as, nor looks like, a braid.