Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Flat Braid Join Method Vs. Edging and Sewing

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is faster for square joining... Flat Braid Method or Edge and Sew Method (77 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is faster for square joining... Flat Braid Method or Edge and Sew Method

1. Flat Braid is definitely Faster (15 votes [19.48%])

Percentage of vote: 19.48%

2. Edge and Sew is faster way to go (5 votes [6.49%])

Percentage of vote: 6.49%

3. Both come out to take about the same time (7 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. Don't know I've only done one of these methods so can't compare (50 votes [64.94%])

Percentage of vote: 64.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ChayaSar

ChayaSar
  • Villager
  • 1,937 posts

• Joined 17-July 05

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

I just learned the flat braid joining method for squares last night, I have 8 of 48 joined for a comfortghan, and I'm a little awkward with it, and was wondering what other people think about square joining methods.

Before this I've always edged all the squares in a common color and then whipstitched the edged squares...

I'm not sure if flat braid is any faster, it looks nice, but I'm wondering how it works out time wise....
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice;
If your plan is for 10 years, plant trees;
If your plan is for 100 years, educate children"
~Confucius

#2 zeropixie

zeropixie
  • Villager
  • 1,281 posts

• Joined 03-May 05

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

I have never heard of this method, do you you have a link to some instructions?

#3 yarntotingmama

yarntotingmama
  • Villager
  • 431 posts

• Joined 18-April 08

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

I found these directions. I've never seen it done that way before either. I don't do much square joining at all so I don't know. I like the finished look but I obviously can't compare.

#4 Momcrochets

Momcrochets
  • Villager
  • 5,971 posts

• Joined 09-September 06

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

Oooh, I like the look! I bet it's a bit tedious, dropping the loop all the time, but it looks neat. I may have to try that, if I ever give in and make another 'ghan with squares. (not something I enjoy, so I rarely do it) All I've done in the past is edge and chain/sc the pieces together.

Isaiah 40:11

#5 zeropixie

zeropixie
  • Villager
  • 1,281 posts

• Joined 03-May 05

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

Very nice. Will have to try it on my next baby afghan.

#6 Crocus58

Crocus58
  • Villager
  • 1,303 posts

• Joined 06-July 06

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

I generally do a modified flat braid method -I don't drop the loop and it "feels" faster for me. Whether it actually is or not, well I've never timed myself. I use which ever method looks best with the squares and the purpose.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

#7 MaryPat

MaryPat
  • Villager
  • 4,035 posts

• Joined 14-July 05

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

I generally do a modified flat braid method -I don't drop the loop and it "feels" faster for me. Whether it actually is or not, well I've never timed myself. I use which ever method looks best with the squares and the purpose.

I do it this way as well. There's a difference in the final look -- it's more 2-D than 3-D.

#8 MaryPat

MaryPat
  • Villager
  • 4,035 posts

• Joined 14-July 05

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

There are other methods that are faster than either of these if speed is what you want. You can hold both sides together and kind of do a chain-SC thru all layers. Or just do the Ch-SC thru the back loops.

#9 ChayaSar

ChayaSar
  • Villager
  • 1,937 posts

• Joined 17-July 05

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

my thing is I like edging them and sewing them, I actually like the boxed look of each square, and the uniformity of it... I am doing this flat braid method on the comfortghan I'm assembling right now because I like learning new things, I do like the way it looks, it still gives a solid color to bring all the other colors together, but it is tedious dropping the loop... however, it's very pretty with the end result... I'll try the next one without dropping the loop and see how that looks and feels for me, I like having options. We'll see. :)
~Confucius

#10 Ellie 13

Ellie 13
  • Villager
  • 1,645 posts

• Joined 19-March 06

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

I've always called it crocheting squares together. I've done both, but never compared the time. I don't drop the loop though, I do [ch 1, sl st in the sp on the 1st square, ch 1, sl st in 2nd square]. It's easier and maybe faster. With sewing you have to cut lengths of yarn and hope it's not too short/long. Also, too many ends to weave in!
Ellie 13

Afghan crocheters get wrapped up in their work.
2014 Stash Busting: WTD: + 2  YTD: + 136

2007: +304. 2008: +328. 2009: +171. 2010: +128.

2011: +186. 2012: + 103. 2013: + 90

#11 ScoobyDoo0811

ScoobyDoo0811
  • Villager
  • 2,447 posts

• Joined 06-February 08

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

I make the squares :lol but never join them. I have tried to join squares and I just can't achieve the look I am hoping for. So, I just make squares for charity and leave the joining to someone else, as I have tired and failed miserably :lol

#12 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,552 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

I voted for Flat Braid (although there are other ways to crochet together as you go), because you compared it to "Edge and Sew". With Flat Braid, you are already done at the "Edge" part. If your braid is the same color as your last row, there's fewer ends to weave versus sewing or crocheting together after the fact.

The disadvantage to joining as you go is that you don't have the luxury of just taking a ball of yarn with you to work a square 'on the go'. You need to lug the afghan around too, or at least work in sections.

Granny Square

#13 ChayaSar

ChayaSar
  • Villager
  • 1,937 posts

• Joined 17-July 05

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

I've always called it crocheting squares together. I've done both, but never compared the time. I don't drop the loop though, I do [ch 1, sl st in the sp on the 1st square, ch 1, sl st in 2nd square]. It's easier and maybe faster. With sewing you have to cut lengths of yarn and hope it's not too short/long. Also, too many ends to weave in!
Ellie 13

See,when I sew them together I don't have a million ends to weave in because what I do is this:

I leave a tail at the beginning of the edging row that is a little more than twice the size of the sq, and sc around the entire square, doing 3 sc in the border, then I cut the tail at the end to be the same length as my beginning tail, and I use the tails to do my sewing... so I'm sewing and weaving in the ends at the same time ;)

I've got 2 rows done now on this ghan with the flat braid, and I'm thinking that it's about the same time as it takes me edging and sewing, so :yay I have a new method... love having options!
~Confucius

#14 Elle

Elle
  • Villager
  • 3,724 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

I can't say, because I have never seen the flat braid method before this, but I CAN say that I think it's a very interesting method now that I have seen how it is done, and how it looks when it's finished, and I would like to learn how to do it so that I can use it on my own pieces.

The finished product has a very different look and is quite pretty! I'm impressed with this method! :clap
Elle

When an eel swimming by takes a bite of your thigh, that's a moray

I am a Bag Lady! - #31 - "Christmas Memories" 2008

2010 Wish List #5, Post #23

#15 Feederofthepack

Feederofthepack
  • Villager
  • 1,085 posts

• Joined 05-February 07

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

I "think" flat braid is faster. For me, anyway. I definately like the look better.
Suzy
Handmade wood hooks at our Etsy Shop
http://hurricanehooks.etsy.com

#16 amdm

amdm
  • Villager
  • 2,486 posts

• Joined 23-May 06

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:03 AM

I never sew squares together - always crochet and always join-as-I-go.

#17 lhasaapsolady

lhasaapsolady
  • Villager
  • 13,153 posts

• Joined 21-May 06

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

I've put my squares together lots of different ways, but never really noticed if one way went quicker than the other.

Wanda Kay

Give us hook, yarn, thread, and a pattern a day We'll merrily sit and crochet and crochet

http://lhasaapsolady.wordpress.com/

2014 Stashbusting WTD+12/YTD+98
2013 Stashbusting WTD+8/YTD+156, 2012 Stashbusting WTD+8/YTD+148, 2011 Stashbusting WTD/+12 YTD/+219, 2010 Stashbusting CAL:YTD/+318

#18 texasredhead

texasredhead
  • Villager
  • 3,417 posts

• Joined 16-January 07

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:28 AM

I tried it and got confused!! I like to crochet my squares together or whip stitch from the back if I want a flat look. Much faster for me.
RAOK list 16 #3
8 inch squares needed for friendship ghan
cream, sage, or berry.

#19 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,450 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:46 AM

I can't answer your poll because you did not offer my choice. I sc or slip stitch only.

I have a bag with some squares that need to be sewn together... It is so not going to happen... Ever!!!

Give me SC or give me death!!!

:rofl

When in doubt... make a hat.      And feel free to *pin* me.
http://groups.yahoo....p/dudsfordoras/

My Boxing Day CAL counts to date: hats - 27;  lapghans 3:  shawls - 3, pet snugly -1, slippers -3

#20 ChayaSar

ChayaSar
  • Villager
  • 1,937 posts

• Joined 17-July 05

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

Well, I'm very sad right now. I had joined a couple rows of a comfortghan with the flat braid method, and where I understood it, it doesn't look right to me, the corners of the squares don't line up right, it looks WONKY, like to the point that even my husband noticed it :eek and he never says anything I do looks weird.

So, i'm taking the rows back apart and going back to my sc edging and sewing, I'm not giving up on the flatbraid method, just going to have to practice on smaller things first. I can't give a comfortghan away that looks wonky.
~Confucius