Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Double crochet around corners

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TeriMcc

TeriMcc
  • Villager
  • 110 posts

• Joined 19-February 08

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:21 AM

I have crocheted in single crochet a graphgan that is 13 x 18 inches. I single crocheted around the outside and now want to use double crochet around the outside to make the afghan about 36 inches wide. My question is: how many stitches do I need to put in the corner in order for it to lie flat and as it gets larger do I need to increase the number of stitches I put in the corner? :think
Please help if you can.
Thanks, Teri

#2 Cherokee2

Cherokee2
  • Villager
  • 497 posts

• Joined 16-November 07

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:31 AM

I would put 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc. in order to make it "turn" the corner. That's just one way, I'm sure there are others.

#3 happy stitcher

happy stitcher
  • Villager
  • 5,395 posts

• Joined 30-October 06

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:45 AM

Just try a corner and see...
play with it a bit and see what you like. When you get one corner the way you want it, just do the others the same way.

One of the great things about crochet is that you can take it out and try again so easily.
Good luck!
The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything.

My Craft Album

#4 TeriMcc

TeriMcc
  • Villager
  • 110 posts

• Joined 19-February 08

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:01 AM

Thank you for your quick response!
I'm going to try your suggestion Cherokee2. I think that will work well.
Teri

#5 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,449 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:04 AM

To keep a rather solid look with dc I tend to work [2dc, ch1, 2dc] in the corners.

I have found that too many (of those fat :eek) DC along a row (and around the corner) can get things to ruffling and I hate that after doing so much work on a ghan.

When in doubt... make a hat.      And feel free to *pin* me.
http://groups.yahoo....p/dudsfordoras/

My Boxing Day CAL counts to date: hats - 27;  lapghans 3:  shawls - 3, pet snugly -1, slippers -3

#6 TeriMcc

TeriMcc
  • Villager
  • 110 posts

• Joined 19-February 08

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

That's what's happening to me darski! The top and botton look fine but the sides look like I've put too many double crochet in. I put one double crochet for every row of single crochet. I just figured it had something to do with the single crochet going back and forth and the double crochet going around the whole afghan.
Thanks for your response.

#7 Croshay

Croshay
  • Villager
  • 1,138 posts

• Joined 28-December 05

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

TeriMcc, this is just what I do and what I've found over the years to work for me. When I start the edging on an afghan, I like to first do a round of sc's and this sorta makes it flat around the edges (and FAST to rip out and re-do if necessary) before I do DC's or any other decorative crocheting. It also gives you a good straight basis or foundation for the next row of stitches. Hope that helps. :hook
Croshay

#8 sprtsbear

sprtsbear
  • Villager
  • 1,022 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

I make baby afghans in sc. I have foun d that when doing the sides I do a sc in 3 rows and then skip a row. It seems to lay flatter. Also if you are doing many rows of dc for the edge, turn at the end of each round.
Sprtsbear

#9 TeriMcc

TeriMcc
  • Villager
  • 110 posts

• Joined 19-February 08

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

Sprtsbear - that sounds like it will work better for what I'm doing. I'm going to rip out what I've done and try your suggestion.
The corner suggestions others have mentioned sound like they will work too.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Teri

#10 jleinhauser

jleinhauser
  • Villager
  • 972 posts

• Joined 03-May 07

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

Try 5 dc in the corner. It's really pretty.

Jean L.