Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

dc3tog

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crochetstepmom

crochetstepmom
  • Villager
  • 643 posts

• Joined 20-July 07

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

I don't know if it is the pain medication I took last night before I started crocheting or if I am just not getting it. :lol I started a new ripple last night and am having trouble. I've only done one other ripple, but it wasn't this pattern. I am not very experienced with increases and decreases.

Anyway, I get the increases, but I am having trouble with the decrease stitch. I thought I had it figured out and it looked right, so I finished the first row. When I got to the end, I had the correct number of ripples :cheer BUT I had too many foundation chains left AND I ended up working on the peak of the ripple instead of the valley :( per the pattern instructions. I know my foundation chain was the correct number...I did it three times, with three different balls of yarn...and all of them turned out the same. I don't think that I am counting the decrease correctly.

To quote one of my favorite movies of all time: Could someone please explain this to me...like I am a 4 year old? :D How many foundation chains will this decrease use? I am so confused!

Thanks so much!!!

dc3tog: Yarn over, insert hook into st and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops. (Yarn over, insert hook into next st and draw up a loop. Yarn over, draw through 2 loops) twice. Yarn over and draw through all loops on hook.

#2 jleinhauser

jleinhauser
  • Villager
  • 972 posts

• Joined 03-May 07

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

The decreaase will be worked over 3 chs, resulting in one st remaining,
so it will use up 3 chs.

Step 1: YO, insert hook in specified ch and draw up a lp to height of a dc;
YO and draw through 2 lps: 2 lps remain on hook.

Step 2: YO, insert hook in next ch and draw up a lp to height of a dc;
YO and draw through 2 lps: 3 lps remain on hook.

Step 3: YO, insert hook in next ch and draw up a lp to height of a dc;
YO and draw through 2 lps: 4 lps remain on hook.

Step 4: YO and draw through all 4 lps on hook.

Jean Leinhauser

#3 crochetstepmom

crochetstepmom
  • Villager
  • 643 posts

• Joined 20-July 07

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

OK...so if the pattern says to do that decrease stitch twice...it will be worked over 6 chains, right? If so, that makes sense because the increase was 3 dc in same st twice. So, if I increased 6, I would have to decrease 6 also, right?

I will try that when I get home tonight. I thought I did it that way in one of my trials, but I was quite frustrated...so I am not sure what I did. :D

Thank you so much for breaking it down to me. :hug