Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

How can i reduce a cross stitch patter....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CATS-PURRFECT

CATS-PURRFECT
  • Villager
  • 14 posts

• Joined 16-January 08

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

Hi

How can i reduce a cross stitch pattern that i made in PC stitch to the size like 4x4 inches...AND NOT LOSE the DETAIL on it???????

I tryed it and lost a buch of detain on it i want the patterns that size to make a scarf like this but in SINGLE CROCHET...

#2 Donna's crochet Designs

Donna's crochet Designs
  • Villager
  • 1,555 posts

• Joined 23-October 05

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

Get graph paper and graph it out. I do it all the time. I have found however that if you want exact outlining as in the first scarf you need to make sure all the black stitch link together. If you can imagine a square with four smaller squares drawn inside it (two across top, two across bottom) they would represent the sc sts. A's over A's
A A B A B B
A A A B A B
You want the black outline to drop down a row as in the BA AB .
Because of the way a sc is worked you don't get a solid diagnol line.
To get the solid line you need to work the black outline (B) BB AB.
Did I confuse you more?
I hope not. I hope this answers your question at least a little bit.

#3 CATS-PURRFECT

CATS-PURRFECT
  • Villager
  • 14 posts

• Joined 16-January 08

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

OK thanks great but how do i REDUCE a CROSS STITCH pattern? in my PC stitch program or my photishop elements program....can it be done?

I am CONFUSED!!! YIKES!! SORRY:(:(

#4 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,542 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

It's simple 'pixel physics": if you reduce the number of squares the image is going to become more pixilated and less detailed. The only way to reduce the scale with exactly the same detail is to use smaller yarn & hook.

Granny Square

#5 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,603 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

I have not mastered PC stitch yet but if you need help with that program the ladies over at www.123stitch.com are wonderful. Some of the cross stitch designers post there that use the program. Make sure to state what version you are using because I think it makes a difference if it's pro or not. Also if you are just using the trial you may not be able to resize, not sure. Mary

#6 SaxDragon

SaxDragon
  • Villager
  • 649 posts

• Joined 24-July 05

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:37 AM

You'd have to reduce the individual stitch size, not the overall pattern size (which will shrink when the indivual blocks are reduced) in order to keep the detail, but as I recall, PC stitch has a limit on how big/small it can make (at least the one I had years ago did). Plus, you'd need a hook and yarn combo that produce a fairly uniform square stitch in SC, or oblong blocks in DC. These days I use PaintBrush or QuiltPro - my hard drive doesn't have enough room for PCStitch too :-)