• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snb0705

snb0705

• Villager
  • 41 posts

• Joined 14-February 08

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

Hi everyone! Newbie here, just thought id try posting here and see if anyone could help me since my 87 yr old grandma-in-law didn't have any advice for me. I am looking for some advice/help. My Cousin-in-law is having a baby shower in a few weeks, and after i found out she was pregnant i had already crocheted the baby blanket. Now they have picked out a name and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to add the name to an already finished baby blanket. Is there a way to crochet it say on the top side of the blanket or am i stuck doing embroidery which i am no good at :eek

#2 goofy

goofy

• Villager
  • 2,388 posts

• Joined 11-April 06

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

i would say to do embroidery. What is the pattern stitch that you used?
~Brenda~
"What if the hoky poky is what it's all about?"
CALS-Stashbusting Cal
WIPS- 2 boy baby blankets,dog sweater (testing)
Ville friendshipghan~8 inch squares, warm tones (ecru,dark blue, burgendy, hunter green ect.)
Stashbusting score: -5 wk -5 ytd (Updated 1/16)
(2009:-29)

#3 shelly_bean

shelly_bean

• Villager
  • 1,116 posts

• Joined 12-July 07

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

you can cut letters out of felt and stitch those on there. I suck at embroidery too. So felt would be my next option.

My Blog

on ravelry i am rosebudstar
Free Rice donate some today click the link
donated 8000 grains of rice to date.
Google is your friend. :D

#4 snb0705

snb0705

• Villager
  • 41 posts

• Joined 14-February 08

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

the actual stitch throughout the whole blanket is single crochet mixed with slip stitch. so i figured the embroidery was probably going to be my only option. Thanks for the advice tho!!

#5 CyM

CyM

• Villager
  • 655 posts

• Joined 27-December 07

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:53 PM

You can use surface crochet. It's super easy and looks pretty decent on the back, too.

Hold the yarn on the wrong side, stick a hook in the right side, pull a loop through. Then go to the next spot you want to aim your line towards and stick the hook through there and pull up a loop. Just do this in whatever design you want. WAY easier than embroidery and all you have to do is weave in the ends. It has a nice look on the front. If you want to make the writing thicker, try two strands of yarn.

#6 Dorothy

Dorothy

• Villager
  • 623 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

:thinkCould you do a border around the Blanket in SC and Crochet the name across the top In a different color as you do the border
Here is a web site you can make a name graph

http://www.celticxst...in/stitches.cgi
Dorothy

Friend's are like star's you can not always see them but you know they are there.

http://s33.photobuck...d62/DorothyMae/

#7 crazycrochet

crazycrochet

• Villager
  • 1,760 posts

• Joined 31-July 07

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

You could try cross stitching the name on the blanket in a contrasting color. There are some beautiful cross stitch alphabets out there.:hook
JoAnn
http://s104.photobuc...0/crazycrochet/

WIP
WAY TOO MANY TO KEEP TRACK OF! HELP I AM DROWNING IN WIP"S!