Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

how to sew name on baby blanket

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snb0705

snb0705
  • Villager
  • 41 posts

• Joined 14-February 08

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

Hi everyone! Newbie here, just thought id try posting here and see if anyone could help me since my 87 yr old grandma-in-law didn't have any advice for me. I am looking for some advice/help. My Cousin-in-law is having a baby shower in a few weeks, and after i found out she was pregnant i had already crocheted the baby blanket. Now they have picked out a name and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to add the name to an already finished baby blanket. Is there a way to crochet it say on the top side of the blanket or am i stuck doing embroidery which i am no good at :eek

#2 goofy

goofy
  • Villager
  • 2,388 posts

• Joined 11-April 06

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

i would say to do embroidery. What is the pattern stitch that you used?
~Brenda~
"What if the hoky poky is what it's all about?"
CALS-Stashbusting Cal
WIPS- 2 boy baby blankets,dog sweater (testing)
Ville friendshipghan~8 inch squares, warm tones (ecru,dark blue, burgendy, hunter green ect.)
Stashbusting score: -5 wk -5 ytd (Updated 1/16)
(2009:-29)

#3 shelly_bean

shelly_bean
  • Villager
  • 1,116 posts

• Joined 12-July 07

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

you can cut letters out of felt and stitch those on there. I suck at embroidery too. So felt would be my next option.

My Blog

on ravelry i am rosebudstar
Free Rice donate some today click the link
donated 8000 grains of rice to date.
Google is your friend. :D

#4 snb0705

snb0705
  • Villager
  • 41 posts

• Joined 14-February 08

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

the actual stitch throughout the whole blanket is single crochet mixed with slip stitch. so i figured the embroidery was probably going to be my only option. Thanks for the advice tho!!

#5 CyM

CyM
  • Villager
  • 655 posts

• Joined 27-December 07

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:53 PM

You can use surface crochet. It's super easy and looks pretty decent on the back, too.

Hold the yarn on the wrong side, stick a hook in the right side, pull a loop through. Then go to the next spot you want to aim your line towards and stick the hook through there and pull up a loop. Just do this in whatever design you want. WAY easier than embroidery and all you have to do is weave in the ends. It has a nice look on the front. If you want to make the writing thicker, try two strands of yarn.

#6 Dorothy

Dorothy
  • Villager
  • 621 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

:thinkCould you do a border around the Blanket in SC and Crochet the name across the top In a different color as you do the border
Here is a web site you can make a name graph

http://www.celticxst...in/stitches.cgi
Dorothy

Friend's are like star's you can not always see them but you know they are there.

http://s33.photobuck...d62/DorothyMae/

#7 crazycrochet

crazycrochet
  • Villager
  • 1,760 posts

• Joined 31-July 07

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

You could try cross stitching the name on the blanket in a contrasting color. There are some beautiful cross stitch alphabets out there.:hook
JoAnn
http://s104.photobuc...0/crazycrochet/

WIP
WAY TOO MANY TO KEEP TRACK OF! HELP I AM DROWNING IN WIP"S!