• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CrossB4Me

CrossB4Me
  • Villager
  • 212 posts

• Joined 04-October 07

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

Well, the afghan is finally done (Hooray!), but it isn't shaped quite right. A little pulled looking and the crocheted ruffle around the edges doesn't lay quite right. I am thinking it needs cleaned and blocked, but I haven't done this before. I've got an idea about what to do from searching online, but before I jump into anything I'd like to get advice from you experienced ladies that I trust. What is the best way to clean and block a baby afghan made with baby-soft Bernat yarn? Thank you so much for your input!!

Patty

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,325 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:13 AM

As long as it's acrylic I throw mine in the washer and dryer. You could wash it (on gentle with Woolite if you like) to remove the sizing (that's the stuff that makes the yarn a little stiff) and lay it out flat to dry to block.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas here.

#3 CrossB4Me

CrossB4Me
  • Villager
  • 212 posts

• Joined 04-October 07

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:59 AM

Thank you for your suggestions, Rosered. I washed the afghan on the gentle cycle and laid it out on the floor on towels to dry. I smoothed it out and fluffed up the ruffles and it dried beautifully. I couldn't believe it was that simple to really "shape it up!" Thank you again for giving me the confidence to put a great finishing touch on this project!!

Patty

#4 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,325 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:20 AM

You're so welcome honey. Just remember - it's just yarn.