Photo

Glue (Fray Check), weaving ends, and to knot or not?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 crosette

crosette

• Villager
  • 685 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:27 PM

I've heard (I think it was on here somewhere) of people using some type of glue to secure yarn ends after weaving. I am really paranoid about my yarn ends wiggling free especially when I've given the item to someone as a gift.

I was at the craft/fabric section in Walmart and asked the fabric-cutter-lady about it and she was shocked and got all snippy with me (:eek-"We don't glue yarn ends we crochet over them!").

So anyway, I just wanted to know...am I imagining reading about this?! :think

~~I LOVE MY NORM~~

Fish gotta swim, birds gotta eat. -Nigel

#2 LI Roe

LI Roe

• Villager
  • 1,356 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:40 PM

I also remember reading about glueing yarn ends also, but not sure where either. That lady would be shocked at me, since I tie my ends together and then crochet over the ends also. I know people don't like to knot ends but I have entered a couple of items in a yearly county fair and have won ribbons, even with tying yarns together, so I must be doing something right. Anyway, I know there is washable fabric glue so maybe that is what the poster (on whatever board it was) meant, maybe to dab a little on the ends to keep them from fraying.

And I wonder if she even crochets??

LI Roe

#3 crochetchronicles

crochetchronicles

• Villager
  • 171 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

I will use a little bit of Fray Block over knotted ends when I am using thread that is silky. I then weave in the remaining tail into the work.

I usually just weave in the tails or crochet over the tails when using yarn. I have never had a problem with them coming unraveled.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

#4 Catana

Catana

• Villager
  • 486 posts

• Joined 27-March 05

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

I'll be trying the Fray Block on one of my next projects. I'm also trying something completely different--a knot. After I do some weaving, I take the end to an area of heavy stitches, pull it out a bit and tie a small knot at the end. Then I pull it back until the knot is caught in the stitches. This might not work with very smooth yarns, but I think it will help with rough ones, boucles, thick, thin, etc.

#5 Sharon

Sharon

• Emigrated from the Village
  • 697 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

I ALWAYS knot my yarn, weaving in a tail.

#6 Catana

Catana

• Villager
  • 486 posts

• Joined 27-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:09 PM

I ALWAYS knot my yarn, weaving in a tail.

I guess I wasn't very clear. LOL My way is just the opposite. I do knot the yarn before I start weaving the tail, but the extra knot is at the very end of the tail, just before you would cut it off. The small knot pulls back into the work and catches (hopefully) in the stitches.

#7 sjkmaurice

sjkmaurice

• Villager
  • 858 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

I'm sorry to hijack the post, but are we not supposed to knot our yarn? How do we keep the ends from coming out? I don't trust just weaving in, and I've always knotted my yarn. I know you're supposed to change colors or join in with a new skein in a seam or the end of a row, but I didn't know you weren't supposed to knot the yarn.

#8 xantha

xantha

• Villager
  • 1,384 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:40 PM

I'm sorry to hijack the post, but are we not supposed to knot our yarn? How do we keep the ends from coming out? I don't trust just weaving in, and I've always knotted my yarn. I know you're supposed to change colors or join in with a new skein in a seam or the end of a row, but I didn't know you weren't supposed to knot the yarn.

Do what works for you! :)

On some fabrics, if you knot the yarn, it's really noticable (laceweight, fingering weight, plain patterns mostly).

When I change colors or join, I basically use the join as the knot, I don't knot the ends together. Then I weave in.

I mean, my stitches basically knot the two together. If I work half of a stitch with the existing yarn and then join the new yarn and work the other half with that one, I'm basically using my stitch pattern to knot the yarn together. Then I weave the ends in and even if the ends come unwoven somehow, the yarn doesn't come apart because the stitch is holding them together.

#9 Sharon

Sharon

• Emigrated from the Village
  • 697 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:03 PM

I must be weird, I knot even with doilies.

#10 xantha

xantha

• Villager
  • 1,384 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

I don't knot on doilies, but it's all a matter of preference! if you can knot and you can't see it and it works for you, awesome! :)

I think perhaps I make awful knots and that they're easy to see or I'm no good at hiding them or something because my joins + weave-ins look better than my knots. ;)

#11 sjkmaurice

sjkmaurice

• Villager
  • 858 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

Well, you learn something new everyday! I haven't had a problem so far with knotting, but I don't make doilies, either. My daughter is a "clothing picker." I fear if she found a loose end and it wasn't knotted, that would be the demise of the sweater/dress/hat/whatever.

#12 Donna

Donna

• Administrator
  • 6,268 posts

• Joined 07-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:44 PM

Of couse, anybody can do whatever they want, but you are not supposed to knot. I never knot and I have never had any ends work loose. Working in ends properly and well so they don't come out takes practice. It's good if you can have someone experienced show you in person.

That's my :2c

Donna

#13 Empress Busy Bee

Empress Busy Bee

• Villager
  • 9,025 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:19 PM

I've been crocheting for over 20 years and I've never read anywhere that says you're not supposed to knot. I almost always knot.
That's not to say don't knot. I agree, do what works! :)

#14 Donna

Donna

• Administrator
  • 6,268 posts

• Joined 07-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:10 PM

But have you read anywhere that says you are supposed to knot? No. I guarantee it does not say that in any published book. If you check the directions in any crochet book for joining new yarn or changing colors, they will usually give quite detailed instructions but they never, ever say to knot.

From the Crochet Guild of America web site:
CGOA: Teaching A Child to Crochet: Objectives

Joining a New Yarn and Finishing Off Ends

Objective: To introduce to students the proper procedure for joining a new yarn and finishing off ends.

Demonstrate joining a new yarn at the edge of work. Discuss leaving the yarn ends hanging to weave in later and why you NEVER tie a knot. Discuss using yarn needles and finishing off only one yarn end at a time. Discuss how to properly fasten crochet off. Show a sample of a striped fabric. Talk about using color and stripes to create a design.

Donna

#15 crochetchronicles

crochetchronicles

• Villager
  • 171 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:21 PM

I agree with Jess. We all knot things differently. Some are better at it than others. Sometimes I knot, other times I don't.

#16 xantha

xantha

• Villager
  • 1,384 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:22 PM

While CGOA say it as such (and I agree to a point), if someone feels more secure knotting, so be it. If people knot ends and still win competitions, obviously it's not an necessarily an issue in terms of how the item looks or wears...

Interestingly, joining and stripes was one of my first projects as an adult. I didn't look up how to join a new color: I just did it. Knotting never came to mind as an option; I thought the best way would be to incorporate the join into the regular stitch, so that's what I did. It wasn't until much later that I read that that actually was the "proper" way to do it.

I personally feel like knots are less secure, not more secure. :) I hate it when I get a skein/hank of yarn and there's a knot smack in the middle of it. I cut it out and rejoin.

All that said, I do think everyone should do what works best for them.

#17 AmyOH

AmyOH

• Villager
  • 213 posts

• Joined 28-April 05

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:05 AM

I see this thread has migrated from glue, so I thought I'd ask--does anyone sew their ends? I find even with the most careful weaving (and knotting) my ends like to migrate. So I've been considering both glue and sewing, but haven't made a decision...
Amy O'Neill Houck - www.aohdesigns.com
New Pattern: Herringbone Mesh Jacket available now!

#18 Donna

Donna

• Administrator
  • 6,268 posts

• Joined 07-March 05

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:21 AM

I don't disagree, Jess. If anybody wants to knot, fine. But I am a firm believer that it is very important to know how any procecure is supposed to be done. Once a person knows and fully understands the correct way, then go on and do it a different way if you want.

The only reason somebody is going to win a competition with knots in their work is because the judge didn't find them. (Some judges are better than others, as is the case with everything in life.)

This thread has some good discussion of how to weave ends securely. And in it SamplerLady says:

If you are going to enter any of your work in competitions do not tie knots. If the judge can find them, your work will loose so many points it might as well be eliminated from the competition.

Donna

#19 Empress Busy Bee

Empress Busy Bee

• Villager
  • 9,025 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:26 AM

I don't know. I've been knotting on most of my things for a long time and it works. I also pretty much learned out of magazines. If there such things as bibles and encyclopedia back then, I never saw them and probably couldn't afford them.
I found this in one of my 1990 magazines. So I guess some things do say you can knot.

http://i3.photobucke...nottingends.jpg

Just my opinion, I don't want to argue about it and every one has their own way of doing things. :)

As for glueing, no I don't but who knows what future project I might want to do it on. ;) It sounds like a good idea for some people though. :hi

#20 Donna

Donna

• Administrator
  • 6,268 posts

• Joined 07-March 05

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:54 AM

I'm quite surprised to see that. Unfortunately there is no author given for those instructions, so we can't contact the person and find out why they think it's okay to knot. I would be even more surprised to find that no readers had written to the magazine to dispute that instruction; I bet they did. I don't have any current copies of Crochet World, but I'd be interested to see if they've changed it by now, 15 years later.

The main reason I do not knot (and yes, I have tried it) is that I find that although the knot itself ususally stays tied, the yarn right next to the knot tends to work loose, pulling out from the work, creating loopy bits that will stick out. Depending on how the rest of the ends have been worked in, the knot itself may pop out of the work.

Thus I find knots to be very much less secure than not knotting. Ends that are worked in well are much more secure than knotted ends. And if you knot and then work in the ends securely, then you'll likely encounter the issue of the loopy bits and/or the knot popping out, with no way to rework in the ends to try to hide the knot again, because they've already been worked in securely.

Donna