Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

How Long Should A Scarf Be?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rock Creek Quilter

Rock Creek Quilter
  • Villager
  • 25 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

I am making hat and scarf sets for Christmas gifts. First I made a set for my sister in red and purple (Red Hat Society). I used the very addicting scarf pattern from Stitch and Bitch Crochet, but instead of making it 96" as in the pattern (the pattern is meant to wrap around the neck a few times) I made it only 60" because I thought 96" was just a little too long. I made the same scarf in navy blue and variegated for my young niece who is 10 years old, but this time I made the scarf only 50" long, because I don't want her to trip on it! Anyway, now I'm second-guessing myself. How long should a scarf be? :think
Mary
Happiness is Being in Stitches

#2 darski

darski
  • Villager
  • 12,415 posts

• Joined 04-March 06

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

it really does depend on the scarf, the recipient and the effect you want to achieve.

Generally speaking, the skinnier the scarf, the longer it is if it is just a regular type. (not a keyhole or such)

When in doubt... make a hat.      And feel free to *pin* me.
http://groups.yahoo....p/dudsfordoras/

My Boxing Day CAL counts to date: hats - 27;  lapghans 3:  shawls - 3, pet snugly -1, slippers -3

#3 christinascrochethaven

christinascrochethaven
  • Villager
  • 8,991 posts

• Joined 10-January 06

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:50 PM

It really depends on the person.

I usually think 60" is pretty good. I figure 5 feet long is good for most people. I usually do 4 feet long for my daughter. I did them 3 feet when she was younger.

The long ones I've made, I made them to wrap around my neck so they were about 72" or 6 feet long.

I think you are doing a good job figuring them out. 96" seems long to me...but then I've also had a long scarf go in the toilet before and that was embarassing:blush ...when it got wet.:eek

Christina

SAHM of Zach (17), Josh (15 1/2) and Shaelynn (9 1/2). Married for 18 years... Gavin= two hearts forever.

www.christinassunshinehaven.com

#4 ErinLindsey

ErinLindsey
  • Villager
  • 535 posts

• Joined 05-July 05

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

Have you ever watched Dr. Who? (not the one that's been airing on the SciFi Channel)

Watch an episode of Dr. Who, and (not sure what season or actor it was) they'll have a ridiculously long scarf wrapped around the neck of the Doctor.

#5 smg55039

smg55039
  • Villager
  • 182 posts

• Joined 19-July 06

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:57 PM

Have you ever watched Dr. Who? (not the one that's been airing on the SciFi Channel)

Watch an episode of Dr. Who, and (not sure what season or actor it was) they'll have a ridiculously long scarf wrapped around the neck of the Doctor.

Fourth Doctor.
Tom Baker
That scarf is iconic. (actually, there were 3)

And yes, I've knitted one.

"I knew I was sick, I just didn't think crochet was the illness." - Comment after making 128 granny squares in 2 weeks while ill.

Shameless self-promotion - See My Blog. Leave a comment, I'll post more often!

#6 secretstasher

secretstasher
  • Villager
  • 386 posts

• Joined 19-April 06

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:15 PM

Oh I have a Tom Baker scarf My friend knitted for me Not strictly in the colours though. It is about 6ft long and very wide. We were talking one day how I had wanted one as a child but my mother was concerned I would get it tied up in the chain of my bicycle and kill myself. So my mate made me one and told me not to ride my bike while wearing it lol.
I would go personaly for a few inches shorter then the person. say a 5ft 6in for a 6 foot person.
I love scarves I might even dig mine out of the cupboard soon.

#7 Feederofthepack

Feederofthepack
  • Villager
  • 1,085 posts

• Joined 05-February 07

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:33 AM

I read somewhere it should be as long a you are tall. So since I'm 5'1", all my scarves are short!
Suzy
Handmade wood hooks at our Etsy Shop
http://hurricanehooks.etsy.com

#8 Suebee42

Suebee42
  • Villager
  • 819 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:52 AM

I read somewhere it should be as long a you are tall. So since I'm 5'1", all my scarves are short!

That's a nifty guideline. :D

I make scarves for the Red Scarf Project, and their suggested guideline is 5" wide and 60" long. I usually make them wider and longer. :D

They say that your "wingspan" (fingertip to fingertip) is equal to your height... so when I am making scarves, I usually try to make them that long (I'm 5' 7"). :)
Suebee
Still Friendly, But No Longer Your Neighborhood Jo-Ann Team Member

Suebee Designs | Join Me at SparkPeople!

#9 Adreeyen

Adreeyen
  • Villager
  • 225 posts

• Joined 16-July 06

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:21 AM

I try to do the height of the recipient by about 6-8 inches wide.

Yeah one Dr Who Scarf was/is like 14 ft long by 12 inches wide!!!
Adrienne on Ravelry
Dayton, Ohio, US

#10 LegalWoman17

LegalWoman17
  • Villager
  • 1,730 posts

• Joined 16-August 07

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

Rock Creek Quilter, I think you have a good handle on the length of scarves. I make most of my scarves about 60 inches long. If I know for sure the person is a little taller or a little shorter, I adjust the length. For instance, I plan on making a scarf for one of the attorneys I work for, who is six feet tall. I will make that scarf about 72 inches long. For myself, a short little 5'1", I would make 60 inches.

Debbie
I'd rather be crocheting!
Proud and happy owner of a Tampa Doll tote bag, #32 Starburst !!!!!
WIPS: Brick Wall afghan
Bob Evers: 11/23/46 - 9/17/10 RIP

My Cats RIP:   Midnight 4/8/2011; Jessi 5/8/2012;  Sammie 12/11/2012;

Emily 3/2/2013
http://freshoffmyhook.blogspot.com/

#11 kazily

kazily
  • Villager
  • 1,630 posts

• Joined 29-April 05

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:37 AM

I'm short so I usually make mine shorter for myself. I also don't make them very wide. It would cover up my whole fce if I wrapped it lol! If I'm making one for a taller/bigger person I make it longer & wider than I would for myself. I am making a wider one for myself now but that's the pattern I liked & it required width for the stitches used. :)

Generic scarves, not knowing the recipients measurements, should probably be standard size...probably 6" W x 60" L is good. Then again that depends on the pattern, if you're using one. Some are meant to be skinny some are meant to be wide, some patterns curl up & those are shorter & some of the straight or flat patterns are meant to hang long. It depends on the look or use you're going for. Just for a nice looking, warmth factor, I'd go with standard size.

#12 LittleJadeFrog

LittleJadeFrog
  • Villager
  • 705 posts

• Joined 12-June 07

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

I agree with the length of scarf, but I think longer scarves are becoming more popular. Last winter I saw my DDs teacher with a scarf that almost touched the ground (it was not wrapped around her neck) and she is not much shorter than me 5'4". I thought that was a little long but I have seen many since then.
Stephanie

#13 Suebee42

Suebee42
  • Villager
  • 819 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:14 AM

Oh, I loooooove them long. I like them to stick out of the bottom of my coat WITH them wrapped around my neck... LOL!

I'm 5' 7", so that's a lot of scarf! LOL!
Suebee
Still Friendly, But No Longer Your Neighborhood Jo-Ann Team Member

Suebee Designs | Join Me at SparkPeople!

#14 Knit Happens

Knit Happens
  • Villager
  • 1,146 posts

• Joined 24-March 07

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

I like a scarf that when it is around my neck and dangling in front each end reaches my waist.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

#15 CLLinda

CLLinda
  • Villager
  • 7,726 posts

• Joined 10-September 05

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:41 PM

It really depends on the receiver and the length that is appropriate for that person.

My rule of thumb is make it about 60 inches long. Kids are generally shorter, so their scarves should be shorter.

Or my old favorite rule is when I am out of yarn, the scarf is done!:lol
:manyheart

Stashbusting score for 2014.  WTD= -7 YTD= +50  bonze medal winner 1/5/14, Silver medal winner 1/26/14, 3/30/14! Bronze winner 4/27/14.  Gold medal winner for February YTD, April YTD and Silver Medal winner for March YTD and May!   Linda W.* 1 year Breast Cancer Survivor!!!
A special place in my heart goes to www.carewear.org Bag lady #72! Thanks, Tampa Doll!
Stashbuster 2008 *257 Bronze Medal* 2009 Stashbusting final score YTD=+19! 2011 Final Stashbusting score -19! Stashbusting scores for 2012 final score+36! Opted out in October due to Breast Cancer Diagnosis. Pray for our kids to keep them safe. RIP Dad, 8/31/08. RIP Davy Jones 2/29/12   :manyheart

#16 anniekat

anniekat
  • Villager
  • 37 posts

• Joined 12-August 07

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:01 PM

I am making a pom pom scarf for a 7 year old.....how long should it be....she just turned 7......i dont think it should be too long as in school it might be a safety issue. thanks for a reply

#17 LI Roe

LI Roe
  • Villager
  • 1,341 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:37 AM

I am also 5'1" so I make mine (for me) about 60 inches and try for about 6" wide, unless I am following a specific pattern stitch. Many of my scarves go to charity so I try to vary the lengths since we all are different sizes and heights.

I believe I read somewhere that childrens scarves can be around 42 to 48" long.

LI Roe

#18 bailey

bailey
  • Villager
  • 313 posts

• Joined 28-November 08

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

For children, a particular charity was asking for 4" x 44"

I'm wondering what length for a toddler 2-3 yrs old

Edited by bailey, 17 May 2011 - 07:33 AM.

#19 jimbo

jimbo
  • Villager
  • 2,049 posts

• Joined 30-November 05

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

Just a few feet longer than this one:

http://www.craftstyl...crocheted-scarf

#20 Ellie 13

Ellie 13
  • Villager
  • 1,636 posts

• Joined 19-March 06

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

I like my scarves to go over my shoulders and hang to my knees. Long enough to wrap around my neck (I'm 5'3"). My mom likes short wide ones to throw over her shoulders and cross in the front. That's the kind most people wear under their coat. I like bright rainbow colors and to show them off (who cares if they don't match my coat :lol).
Ellie 13

Afghan crocheters get wrapped up in their work.
2014 Stash Busting: WTD: + 4  YTD: + 120

2007: +304. 2008: +328. 2009: +171. 2010: +128.

2011: +186. 2012: + 103. 2013: + 90