• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crochetrae

crochetrae
  • Villager
  • 1,226 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

Why won't fabric glue (Aleene's OK to Wash it) stick on yarn? I'm trying to glue 50 little flowers to a shawl. With the little hole in the center of the flower, I couldn't tack it in just one place, so figured it would be easier and neater to just glue the flowers on. I've used it on thread before and it worked fine. I've glued twice now and the flowers will still just pull right off!
I need to mail this shawl tomorrow, so I guess I'd better start sewing, but I don't understand why won't the glue work??? :think

#2 Coffeywoman

Coffeywoman
  • Villager
  • 334 posts

• Joined 31-March 07

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:57 PM

I've never used fabric glue so can't answer your question. But have you tried a little hot glue?
~~:)~Diane~(:~~

#3 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,303 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:59 PM

I've never tried to glue anything to yarn, but I would think the finer the fabric, the closer together the twist of the yarn and the stitches, the better it would stick. I think that unless you saturated the yarn, it would only stick to the surface fibers and you could pull it right off--fibers and all.

Granny Square

#4 shelly_bean

shelly_bean
  • Villager
  • 1,116 posts

• Joined 12-July 07

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

yarn and wet glue don't go together at all. I know I have tried and tried. I think i have tried hot glue, but that makes it stiff and can be a pain. we tried some flexible fabric glue, and dh was getting upset because it wouldn't stick, turns out we had to let it sit for at least 6 hours before it was set.

My Blog

on ravelry i am rosebudstar
Free Rice donate some today click the link
donated 8000 grains of rice to date.
Google is your friend. :D

#5 rsisland

rsisland
  • Villager
  • 1,613 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

I use Fabri-tac to glue on my wiggle eyes. After I glue them on, I just let it sit and dry overnight. I haven't had any problems (crosses fingers) and my 8 year old son is quite rough with his things.

#6 LittleJadeFrog

LittleJadeFrog
  • Villager
  • 704 posts

• Joined 12-June 07

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

I glue and glue and glue. I have tried ALL types of glue and cannot get anything to work, except hot glue. If you use a little it wont make it too stiff (just in those places). Good luck let us know what you decided.
Stephanie

#7 acraftylady

acraftylady
  • Villager
  • 3,577 posts

• Joined 03-September 06

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

If you are going to wash this though I would not use hot glue as it will come off. I would think the fabri tack mentioned would do that job. I have used that for things before and it's good but have never tried it on yarn though. Mary!

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,423 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:11 AM

I use Crafter's Pick THE ULTIMATE! to glue wiggly eyes on yarn projects. Once they are in place, I don't touch them for hours. I've never had a problem with them coming off.
Real Deal

#9 crochetrae

crochetrae
  • Villager
  • 1,226 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:00 AM

Thanks everybody for your tips. I did let the OK to Wash It glue sit for several hours and it still would peel off. I went ahead and tacked them. I think it's like Granny Square said and the glue stuck just on the surface, therefore it was easy to peel off. I, too, had glued wiggly eyes on yarn before but it wasn't going to be washed and Tacky glue worked great. I just needed a washable glue this time and that seemed to be the problem.
NOW I KNOW!!!
Thanks again!