• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sonny321

Sonny321
  • Villager
  • 539 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

There is a stitch on page 21 of the " Harmony Guides 300 crochet stitches" book that is driving me up the wall. It's called the shallow single crochet stitch. Rarely has a stitch ever frustrated me like this. Usually I can figure them out, but I simple can not get how to do this. If anyone has this book and knows how to make this stitch can you help me understand it please? I've ripped out this same swatch 27 times. It's time to call in the reenforcements.

#2 birdlady1

birdlady1
  • Villager
  • 3,650 posts

• Joined 24-July 06

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

It's also on page 17 of the Harmony Guide to Crocheting. But for the love of me, I can't figure it out either!:(
Crocheting again after a three-year absence!
Ethical vegan since March 2011

#3 DreamsOfYarn

DreamsOfYarn
  • Villager
  • 3,431 posts

• Joined 09-February 07

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

I have the book, I am grabbing some yarn and a real big hook to see if I can figure it out. I have tried to figure it out a few times, and couldn't get it before. Guess it's time to try again :lol:lol
~Mel~

My Blog

My Photobucket
My Wish List Holiday Wish List 2008
Round Ripple-30 ghans done, 5 rugs done
Stashbusting Score: -6 WTD/+264 YTD
Saltine Smackdown: 210
2009 Charity: Victory Junction Gang
Squares For Charity: 6 Inch-59

#4 newthingcrochet

newthingcrochet
  • Villager
  • 751 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

I have this book, I'll have to take a look when I've got a minute.
Liz
My Blog
http://newthingcrochet.blogspot.com/
My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/...user_id=5264952
WIPS:

Green baby dress
Washcloths galore!
Matching sweaters for DD's
Shawl for mom for Christmas
Even more Mary Janes!
Shawl for DD

#5 Selune

Selune
  • Villager
  • 1,473 posts

• Joined 07-September 06

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

It's not that hard once you figure out what lines they are talking about. :)

Do a row of sc, turn, then look at the front of the row. You will see two horizontal bars above the upside down "v" (this is the v on the face of the fabric, not the top of the stitch). The two bars are made up of the front loop of the top v that you normally stitch under, and the thread directly underneath it. You are essentially inserting your hook between the upside down V and under that bar. Or, seen another way, look at where you normally insert your hook, move a little to the left and slightly down (under the horizontal thread and between the V.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll try to post a pic. It actually ends up looking a little like knitting. :)
Angela
- - - proud mum of two ferocious kitties, Sophie & Spooky.

"There is, incidentally, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person." - Dan Greenberg

#6 Selune

Selune
  • Villager
  • 1,473 posts

• Joined 07-September 06

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:55 PM

Oh, and you should be aware, this creates a VERY dense fabric. VERY stiff. :)
Angela
- - - proud mum of two ferocious kitties, Sophie & Spooky.

"There is, incidentally, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person." - Dan Greenberg

#7 birdlady1

birdlady1
  • Villager
  • 3,650 posts

• Joined 24-July 06

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:27 PM

Hmmm sounds interesting. Probably a little too short a stitch for a graphed afghan though.
Crocheting again after a three-year absence!
Ethical vegan since March 2011

#8 newthingcrochet

newthingcrochet
  • Villager
  • 751 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:31 AM

That's about it, I'd just add that on the first sc you crochet into there will not be 2 vertical bars to crochet in between, so I just went to the left of the one that was there. I thought this stitch made a very springy cushiony fabric, would maybe be good for slipper soles or a bath mat.

It's not that hard once you figure out what lines they are talking about. :)

Do a row of sc, turn, then look at the front of the row. You will see two horizontal bars above the upside down "v" (this is the v on the face of the fabric, not the top of the stitch). The two bars are made up of the front loop of the top v that you normally stitch under, and the thread directly underneath it. You are essentially inserting your hook between the upside down V and under that bar. Or, seen another way, look at where you normally insert your hook, move a little to the left and slightly down (under the horizontal thread and between the V.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll try to post a pic. It actually ends up looking a little like knitting. :)

Liz
My Blog
http://newthingcrochet.blogspot.com/
My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/...user_id=5264952
WIPS:

Green baby dress
Washcloths galore!
Matching sweaters for DD's
Shawl for mom for Christmas
Even more Mary Janes!
Shawl for DD

#9 Belinda1014

Belinda1014
  • Villager
  • 3 posts

• Joined 10-October 08

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

Does someone have a video showing how to do a shallow single crochet? Or may a picture showing step 1 thru finish. I cannot for the life of me understand how to do this stitch.

Thanks Very Much

#10 Artsydeb

Artsydeb
  • Villager
  • 3 posts

• Joined 16-February 11

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

Here is site with instructions and pics:  http://knotsewcute.b...le-crochet.html