• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sallybb

sallybb
  • Villager
  • 7 posts

• Joined 07-April 05

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:46 PM

does anyone have a pattern for bosnian crochet ?
sallybb

#2 natalie058

natalie058
  • Villager
  • 1,817 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:54 PM

mmm, isn't that just slip stitches? :think

there's one in the encyclopedia of crochet, I think, for a dishcloth.

#3 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:33 AM

mmm, isn't that just slip stitches? :think

there's one in the encyclopedia of crochet, I think, for a dishcloth.

I have searched the internet (for days) and came up with no patterns at all other than the one in the Encyclopaedia.
It is done in slipstitch. If you use acrylic, it makes a very dense, yet soft fabric, I could see a nice vest/ jacket made like it. (although a LOT of work)

In cotton, it is much stiffer and harder to work with. (see my little bag in Show and Tell?)

I still don't understand how there can be No Info on this.

#4 RebeccaVelasquez

RebeccaVelasquez
  • Villager
  • 5,524 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

looky what i found:

http://crochet.nu/sc...nian/index.html

#5 xantha

xantha
  • Villager
  • 1,384 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:33 PM

II still don't understand how there can be No Info on this.

Have you also searched on "Muslim Crochet", "Shepherd's Knitting" and "Russian Stitch" ?

I found a few sites with examples and patterns but not everyone calls it "Bosnian Crochet" which could be why you're not coming up with much! :)

fingerless gloves
about

And there are a few more...

#6 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

Have you also searched on "Muslim Crochet", "Shepherd's Knitting" and "Russian Stitch" ?

I found a few sites with examples and patterns but not everyone calls it "Bosnian Crochet" which could be why you're not coming up with much! :)

fingerless gloves
about

And there are a few more...

My understanding is that Shepherd's knitting refers to Tunisian Crochet, Muslim crochet is used interchangeably w. Bosnian, and I was under the impression that Russian Stitch is something else but I am not sure what.
Yes, I have been trying a variety of searches in a variety of languages.
The only thing I found out since is that in a 1996 McCall's crochet mag. there was a pattern by a Michelle Prieto, who also taught a CGOA workshop (Chainlink 96) on Bosnian crochet, same yr.
Is there anyone familiar with that article?

Thanks so much for trying.

Kathy.

#7 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:51 PM

looky what i found:

http://crochet.nu/sc...nian/index.html

That was the site that got me interested in this:)
Isn't that gorgeous?

#8 diamond

diamond
  • Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:09 PM

OH! Sylvia Cosh & James Walters!! I have all their books! What they do to freeform is unbelievable. Sylvia's moth & butterfly shawls are to die for. I just love their things. :manyheart

#9 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

OH! Sylvia Cosh & James Walters!! I have all their books! What they do to freeform is unbelievable. Sylvia's moth & butterfly shawls are to die for. I just love their things. :manyheart

are those books still in print, do you know?

Did you like their work in B. crochet?

#10 diamond

diamond
  • Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

are those books still in print, do you know?

Did you like their work in B. crochet?

I don't all of them are still in print but all are hard to find (like The Crochet Workbook). I got some from Ebay and some from Amazon . I had such a hard time finding them that I emailed James Walters and he wrote back saying 'Good Luck' in finding them. The Crochet Workbook has been known to be on Amazon for approx. $100+ :manyheart

#11 diamond

diamond
  • Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:43 PM

The Crochet Sweater Book at Amazon is going for $12 and change to $31 and change which is an awsome price.
http://www.amazon.co...2?condition=all

The Crochet Workbook at Amazon is going for $89.99 to $101.48
http://www.amazon.co...2?condition=all

#12 diamond

diamond
  • Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

There's another book called "Crochet" which I got from Ebay.

I got my Crochet Workbook from www.lacis.com for $50.00 I couldn't find it anywhere cheaper than that.
http://www.lacis.com...alog/search.php

#13 xantha

xantha
  • Villager
  • 1,384 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

My understanding is that Shepherd's knitting refers to Tunisian Crochet, Muslim crochet is used interchangeably w. Bosnian, and I was under the impression that Russian Stitch is something else but I am not sure what.

Russian Stitch seems to refer to a number of different things: a knit stitch pattern, a crochet stitch pattern, and also Bosnian Crochet.

Shepherd's seems to refer to both... I found some sites that were talking about Tunisian and others that were talking about Bosnian.

I'll keep an eye out for anything in other languages. I wonder if there is more information on sites that aren't in English... I will try to check out some Russian sites, but (heh) my vocabulary doesn't include much crochet terms and I'm not sure they'll have anything anyway.

#14 diamond

diamond
  • Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:56 PM

I have just gone thru 3 of my Sylvia Cosh/James Walters books and none of them mention Bosnian, Shepherd's or Russian crochet at all. :think

#15 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:07 PM

I have just gone thru 3 of my Sylvia Cosh/James Walters books and none of them mention Bosnian, Shepherd's or Russian crochet at all. :think

Thanks for trying.:)

#16 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:15 PM

I am told that bosnian crochet is talked about in Knitting in the Old Way by Priscilla Gibson Roberts .

Anyone with a copy by chance?:)

#17 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:17 PM

Russian Stitch seems to refer to a number of different things: a knit stitch pattern, a crochet stitch pattern, and also Bosnian Crochet.

Shepherd's seems to refer to both... I found some sites that were talking about Tunisian and others that were talking about Bosnian.

I'll keep an eye out for anything in other languages. I wonder if there is more information on sites that aren't in English... I will try to check out some Russian sites, but (heh) my vocabulary doesn't include much crochet terms and I'm not sure they'll have anything anyway.

Thanks. This is really enlightening.

#18 diamond

diamond
  • Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for trying.:)

No problem. The books are still worth the $. And if I were to get only one of the 3 I have, I would say get The Crochet Sweater Book as it is the only one that actually has patterns in it. The reason I got them was because of the butterfly & moth shawls on the web site. The Crochet Sweater Book has the pattern for the Butterfly Blues cape and the Silver Moth cape among many other great sweaters, shawls, coats, etc. :manyheart

#19 diamond

diamond
  • Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:18 PM

OMG....just realized what I can do with all that Sirdar Yo-Yo!!!! Am off....am so excited now. :yay

#20 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

OMG....just realized what I can do with all that Sirdar Yo-Yo!!!! Am off....am so excited now. :yay

I know that feeling:)
have fun, thanks again.

If you get a chance after to look in those books (w. patterns.) pls try to see if any of them uses the slip stitch on larger surfaces. I don't think we'd be breaking any copyright laws w. that.