• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Cinnaminn

Cinnaminn

• Villager
  • 338 posts

• Joined 03-August 05

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

Well, I've finally finished the 1st of 2 circles for the Spiral Doily pattern from the Russian site. :) Have already started on the 2nd circle for it.

I hope to be adding some more photos of my progress for the doily at my site on this page:
http://www.angelfire.../mycrafts1.html

I think the "fun" will come when I have both circles completed and have to figure out how to join them. *L*
- Cheryl (a.k.a. Cinnaminn)
My Sites:
Planet Cinnaminn: abt AA's free daily patterns
Rey & Luna's Corner: abt my 2 Chihuahuas & free pet pattern links

WIP's/CAL's:
Eight-Pocket Two-Tone Carryall Tote CAL

Helpful Links/Postings for Eight-pocket Tote CAL

#2 Granny Square

Granny Square

• Villager
  • 6,671 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:58 PM

I was was making this doily also, after reading the other thread regarding locating & translating the pattern.

You're not going to like this....I was nearly done with the first half yesterday, when I realized that the diagram was WRONG. :eek

Look at the photo (of the finished doily; the finished pic from the first post of the other thread is even clearer). The spiral decreases by TWO segments each row, until you have only two segments in the last row. The diagram has you only decreasing by ONE segment each row, leaving you with 18 segments in the last row. The in-process photos follow the diagram which doesn't help.

Mumble, mumble, rip rip.

The good news is, because the rows get shorter quicker, the pattern goes quicker the second time around.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought I'd catch you before you got too much farther...:(

Granny Square

#3 Crocus58

Crocus58

• Villager
  • 1,303 posts

• Joined 06-July 06

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

:hook I'm even more tempted by this now . . . . . oh dear :eek

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

#4 Dorothy

Dorothy

• Villager
  • 623 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

I belive that you might be referring to the small one that they refer to as a napkin:( it decrease two times but if you look at the one that has both circles connected it only decrease one time every row I have been knowed to be wrong so if I am please forgive me
:yarn
Dorothy

Friend's are like star's you can not always see them but you know they are there.

http://s33.photobuck...d62/DorothyMae/

#5 Cinnaminn

Cinnaminn

• Villager
  • 338 posts

• Joined 03-August 05

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:56 PM

I'm waiting until I have both "circles" done before I worry about joining them together or figuring how the pattern is supposed to go. I figure that the 3rd diagram/graph/chart for the pattern may make more sense to me then once the 2 circles are done. *LOL*
My Sites:

WIP's/CAL's:

#6 Krakovianka

Krakovianka

• Villager
  • 3,337 posts

• Joined 17-May 07

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:41 AM

I really want to try this pattern, too, but I couldn't find the kind of color I wanted when I was at the store (I'm thinking something autumny--deep gold or rust, or even brown). My "ears" are perked to here how your joining goes...

Looks great so far!

Incidentally...I suspect Polish and Russian are similar in this way: we have the word "serwetka"--like "serviette"--which can be translated as "napkin," BUT we use the same word for a doily or small table mat, like a placemat.
~Karen
My Blog (not all crochet!)

2011 Reading Challenge - 6/50

A fine hook and a strand of thread...and life is good.

#7 sonnets_and_stitches

sonnets_and_stitches

• Villager
  • 1,754 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:51 AM

I can't hardly even read the first diagram. Do you make that diagram twice, and then join?
Headlong Joy is ever on the wing ~ John Milton

#8 Dorothy

Dorothy

• Villager
  • 623 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:59 AM

I can't hardly even read the first diagram. Do you make that diagram twice, and then join?

Sonnet and Stitches
That is what I plan on doing if I ever get it done I have to much wip going at this time
You can see what I have doneon mine in my photo bucket
Dorothy
Dorothy

Friend's are like star's you can not always see them but you know they are there.

http://s33.photobuck...d62/DorothyMae/

#9 Cinnaminn

Cinnaminn

• Villager
  • 338 posts

• Joined 03-August 05

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

I've been doing some more thinking about the pattern for the Spiral Doily and am in the process of doing something a little different than what I previously said. :idea I'm not making the 2nd circle from the diagram that has 17 rows, I'm making another circle of the 1st one with 43 rows and am trying to do the joining of it to the 1st one I made as I go along.

Will try to post more once I see if my change in plans is successful or not. I'm busy with work this wk so unfortunately don't have as much time for crocheting as I would like to have. :(
My Sites:

WIP's/CAL's:

#10 sonnets_and_stitches

sonnets_and_stitches

• Villager
  • 1,754 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

I've been doing some more thinking about the pattern for the Spiral Doily and am in the process of doing something a little different than what I previously said. :idea I'm not making the 2nd circle from the diagram that has 17 rows, I'm making another circle of the 1st one with 43 rows and am trying to do the joining of it to the 1st one I made as I go along.

Will try to post more once I see if my change in plans is successful or not. I'm busy with work this wk so unfortunately don't have as much time for crocheting as I would like to have. :(

I think that's more along the lines of what the pattern has in mind. I've been looking at the photos and the charts, and there just isn't a way that the 17-rower is going to fit onto the 43 rower. I think it's a separate piece meant to complement the larger doiley.

#11 copchic905

copchic905

• Villager
  • 1,751 posts

• Joined 27-March 07

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

:cheer wow it looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished doily.
W.I.P.: Afghan for 16 yr old daughter

"If you cry over losing the sun, your tears will make it impossible to see the stars."

Blessed Be )O( ~~Mystic_Ivy~~
AKA: Beautiful Disaster or copchic905
© by me Jamie Love

#12 Granny Square

Granny Square

• Villager
  • 6,671 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:06 AM

Yep, I agree with Sonnets & Stitches, I believe the smaller 17 row doily (fig 2) is meant to be a smaller 'side' doily. It shows it alongside the big spiral doily in the completed picture.

Check out Celt's site, there are a lot of dresser or cheval sets that have a center big doily and a smaller coordinating doily on each side.

I will try to figure out how to post a picture ... gotta find the camera first :think I've re-done the first half and am about a third of the way done with the second. I wish I'd chosen a more dramatic color, mine is ecru and it looks so much better in the pattern's red or Cinnaminn's country blue :sigh

Granny Square

#13 Cinnaminn

Cinnaminn

• Villager
  • 338 posts

• Joined 03-August 05

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

I think that's more along the lines of what the pattern has in mind. I've been looking at the photos and the charts, and there just isn't a way that the 17-rower is going to fit onto the 43 rower. I think it's a separate piece meant to complement the larger doiley.

I think that it's either meant to be a separate piece or a part of the pattern for a small(er) doily/table runner. If you use Google's language translator [http://www.google.com/language_tools] (it's not perfect but better than Babelfish, IMO), I think the written page is telling how to make a large or smaller version of the spiral doily. You make one circle first and then it's while you're making the 2nd one, you join it to the 1st one starting at/around row 5.

I've also gotten some help in translating the pages from a couple of different people besides Google's translation so between those things/translations, I'm trying to get it better figured out in my mind at least and can't wait to have the time to try out my idea(s). *LOL*

Will try to post later today/tonight after I get back home from work. I stopped home for a quick break and couldn't resist checking my mail and for any posts here to see the response(s). *L*
My Sites:

WIP's/CAL's:

#14 Cinnaminn

Cinnaminn

• Villager
  • 338 posts

• Joined 03-August 05

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:05 AM

I updated my crafts page with a few more photos along with some more information. I think that I'm finally on the right "trail" for making the 2nd part of the doily. :hook :woo :jumpyay
[IMG]http://www.minoguetech.com/members/Cinnaminn/MyCrochet/spiraldoilywip4tn.jpg[/IMG]
What do you think?!?!?
My Sites:

WIP's/CAL's:

#15 Krakovianka

Krakovianka

• Villager
  • 3,337 posts

• Joined 17-May 07

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:14 AM

Are you joining as you go? That is a fantastic idea, and I think it looks good so far. Can't wait to see it finished and blocked. It's a great design and I admire your tenacity in figuring it out. I've got to find some good thread for this design...
~Karen
My Blog (not all crochet!)

2011 Reading Challenge - 6/50

A fine hook and a strand of thread...and life is good.

#16 Cinnaminn

Cinnaminn

• Villager
  • 338 posts

• Joined 03-August 05

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:37 AM

Yes, I'm joining as I'm working on the 2nd circle - I think the joining is done with a slip stitch at the top of the dc in the 1st circle (which is upside down as you're working on the 2nd circle), ch 1 and then do another slip stitch in the bottom of the same dc you did the 1st slip stitch in - does that makes sense to anyone else besides me? *L* It's much easier to do than to try to write it down!
My Sites:

WIP's/CAL's:

#17 Cinnaminn

Cinnaminn

• Villager
  • 338 posts

• Joined 03-August 05

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:41 AM

The joining is done on the straight edge of the first circle so hopefully I'll end up with the doily/table runner looking something like mirror images.
My Sites:

WIP's/CAL's:

#18 Granny Square

Granny Square

• Villager
  • 6,671 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:19 PM

I've just finished mine. This is my first try with photobucket, I hope this works:

http://i204.photobuc...SpiralDoily.jpg

I made mine in two halves and sewed together - I have to say that I agree with you that joining-as-you go is the way to do it, my seam is not TOO glaring but it is there.

Also, to amend what I said in earlier post -- the FIRST TWO decreases (rows 4 & 6) should be 1 segment, the rest should be two segments. This leaves a better space for joining, and follows the pattern photo. (Because I didn't do it this way, I joined 1 row back from where it was supposed to, to avoid overlap. In hindsight it might have worked out, but..oh well.)

This is a fun and fairly easy & quick doily for its size (roughly 13"x23") - once you work around the problem with the chart! I wonder what it would look like in stripes...maybe Christmas colors? Oooh...

Granny Square

#19 sonnets_and_stitches

sonnets_and_stitches

• Villager
  • 1,754 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:22 PM

Wow, that looks so cool! I can just see how that would look on my mother's table . . . Man, I think I want to make one! I've never made a doiley before, but I'm not afraid of using charts. Would you say this one was difficult?

~ Joy

#20 Cinnaminn

Cinnaminn

• Villager
  • 338 posts

• Joined 03-August 05

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:38 PM

Congratulations, Granny Square! :cheer :clap

Your work looks great! :)

My doily will be a bit different than yours and probably bigger/larger because of the pattern I used. I think yours is the small doily/runner like the one on this page.
My Sites:

WIP's/CAL's: