• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 pretty_bug01

pretty_bug01

• Villager
  • 371 posts

• Joined 01-June 07

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:49 PM

[IMG]http://pics.livejournal.com/pretty_bug01/pic/00003b82/[/IMG][IMG]http://pics.livejournal.com/pretty_bug01/pic/00004w97/[/IMG][IMG]http://pics.livejournal.com/pretty_bug01/pic/00003b82/[/IMG][IMG]http://pics.livejournal.com/pretty_bug01/pic/00004w97/[/IMG][IMG]http://pics.livejournal.com/pretty_bug01/pic/00003b82/[/IMG]Hi. This is my first pattern, so be gentle. For me, with a 6 mm hook, comes out about 4 1/2 by 5 inches. It would be beneficial if there were any suggestions to improve the overall look or making it bigger. Thanks.
*please don't sell this pattern, use it as your own, and such*
Ch 2

Row 1: 4 sc in the 2nd from hook. sl st to join

Row 2: 2 dc in joining stitch and in each sc around, there should be 10 dc at the end of this row. sl st to join

Row 3: sl st in next dc, in the next dc: dc, tr crochet cluster, ch 1, dc. repeat 3 times more. sl st in next dc, in next stitch dc, tr crochet cluster.

Row 4: ch 4, sc in the top of the tr crochet cluster, ch 8, sc, ch 8, sc, ch 8, sc, ch 8. join with sl st. fasten off.

You can change colors at this point if you wish. To join sl st and ch 1 before going into row 5

Row 5: 4 Sc in ch 4 space. In 1st ch 8 st, 4 sc, ch 2, 6 sc. In 2nd and 3rd ch 8 space, 6 sc, ch 2, 6 sc. In 4th space, 6 sc, ch 2, 4 sc. Join with a sl st.

Row 6: In back loops only, 8 dc, *in ch 2 space 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc. 12 dc in back loops only*. repeat from * 3 x. 4 dc in back loops only. Fasten off.

I did not block it thinking that it would help to see it before it was blocked. I can block it and reshoot it if you would like.

I know this is now in the wrong section but it is not letting me upload my pictures. I am sorry.
http://pretty-bug01....html?mode=reply

[IMG]http://pics.livejournal.com/pretty_bug01/pic/00003b82/[/IMG]

#2 misssmaggie

misssmaggie

• Villager
  • 19,347 posts

• Joined 06-May 06

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for sharing!

#3 pretty_bug01

pretty_bug01

• Villager
  • 371 posts

• Joined 01-June 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

I am kind of disappointed that there has been no comments or suggestions to my pattern. I really want to learn to make adequate patterns so that others can follow and accomplish. Did I use the right language, is it too easy? Things like that. Any help would be valuable to me.

#4 crochetsal

crochetsal

• Villager
  • 1,551 posts

• Joined 13-July 06

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:58 AM

I went to your blog and saw the pic...it looks so interesting! I'm wondering how it would look in thread...
As for the picture, if you're trying to use the link to the picture in your blog, it won't work. Most sites don't allow 'hot-linking'. You would have to have it on an image hosting site like photobucket, or villagephotos. (I use villagephotos)
Very nice work, and thank you for sharing!
Sally

#5 Coffeywoman

Coffeywoman

• Villager
  • 336 posts

• Joined 31-March 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:27 PM

I like it too! It's very open. I'm wondering also what it would look like in thread. Probably amazing.
~~:)~Diane~(:~~

#6 sonnets_and_stitches

sonnets_and_stitches

• Villager
  • 1,754 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I do like how it looks. For myself, I would probably try it all in one color (personal preference).

I'll print out a copy of the pattern, try it out tonight, and let you know how it turns out for me.

Congratulations on your first pattern! :applause

~ Joy
Headlong Joy is ever on the wing ~ John Milton

#7 CrochettingMama

CrochettingMama

• Villager
  • 1,604 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:46 PM

I like it too. It is too open for my tastes though.

~Pam~

WIPS

*Prayer Shawls
*NICU baby blankets

*baby hats
*baby blankets

*Still thinking of making a painted doily

*dishcloths all the time

#8 pretty_bug01

pretty_bug01

• Villager
  • 371 posts

• Joined 01-June 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

I used the different colors to show the detail better. My preference is against all one color, guess it goes differently for different people. I'm glad you like it, I guess I'm just a little insecure about making patterns right now. I hope that it gets easier as I go along. Sorry about the link not working. I will try to get a photobucket account or something. I just assumed that it would work. I've only tried it myself a few times, so I hope that it works for you when you try it. Thanks for looking and enjoying my work.

#9 oliveoil

oliveoil

• Villager
  • 4,901 posts

• Joined 13-April 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

That is so totally cool:yay !! When I saw it, I thought "how would it look using red, white and blue yarn:think !! I bet it would look really nice if made using crochet thread:yes ......

#10 Aelita

Aelita

• Villager
  • 2,610 posts

• Joined 28-January 06

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

Oohh pretty square I like it alot you did great on your granny square.
There will always be people who say mean words because you are different and sometimes their minds cannot be changed.

But there are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
WIP:

#11 eyrthmother1

eyrthmother1

• Villager
  • 1,240 posts

• Joined 02-May 06

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

Now that you have a picture up, I can see just how pretty it is. Good job:clap :clap

to answer your question of how to make it larger, hmmm. the increasing in the corners like a reg granny, or a "bobby's square" might be an idea and just keep doing rounds that way . or, could try to copy Solitaires idea on her pentacle doily, and do a seperate dc strand, and weave it around....then rejoin the thread and crochet around a few rows.

Sandy
"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart
WIP:Pent Shawl, soft sage,my pristess's elevation to 3rd degree (fin 7-17-07),
Scrap yo-yo afghan (comb the scrap CAL w/ the yo-yo CAL) 360 done, bkmks for local hospital's cancer fl staff, 2sub ghan, friend fam. squ scrp ghan
bl & wh dbl strand afghan for bf's bday (fin 7-19-07)

wishlist

#12 Buttercup

Buttercup

• Villager
  • 485 posts

• Joined 10-April 07

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:11 AM

I love it! The colors are great and so is the pattern. Haven't had a chance
to try it though.
Buttercup

#13 Feliciter

Feliciter

• Villager
  • 132 posts

• Joined 16-February 07

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:35 AM

I love the square! Thanks for the pattern!
Diane

www.thecraftyapple.blogspot.com

#14 granny sunshine

granny sunshine

• Villager
  • 185 posts

• Joined 21-October 06

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

You did great job. I would do the middle a different color also, so the detail could be seen easier.

#15 Peggy85225

Peggy85225

• Villager
  • 15,530 posts

• Joined 27-November 06

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:52 AM

My daughter loves stars, I will have to try it when I finish what I currently have planned. Thank you for sharing.

#16 sonnets_and_stitches

sonnets_and_stitches

• Villager
  • 1,754 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

Jennifer,

Sorry, but I had a bit of trouble when I tried to make the granny star last night. Mine turned out very bowl-shaped. I may start adding on to it and make a hat with a star-shaped crown. (Actually, I think that'll be pretty cool!)

:sstar :sstar :sstar :sstar :sstar :sstar :sstar :sstar

Here's where I had trouble:

Row 3: sl st in next dc, in the next dc: dc, tr crochet cluster, ch 1, dc. repeat 3 times more. sl st in next dc, in next stitch dc, tr crochet cluster.

I don't know what a treble crochet cluster is, so I just did three treble crochets, figuring that three was the minimum number before something could be called a "cluster."

Row 6: In back loops only, 8 dc, *in ch 2 space 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc. 12 dc in back loops only*. repeat from * 3 x. 4 dc in back loops only. Fasten off.

I don't remember why now (dang, I knew I should have brought my crochet to work!) but I couldn't even start on Row 6. The first 8 dc didn't really have a place to go - I think the next 8 stitches were interrupted by a ch 2 space? - I 'll have to go back to my project and remember.

Okay, perhaps that's not very helpful, since I can't even remember how I went wrong in Row 6! But that is a start.

Also, I think it's helpful to start new sentences with a capital letter. I know a lot of patterns are very casual and skip that, but for me it helps me follow the designer's train of thought.

I'd really love to get this square right! When I go home tonight, I'll look at that square again and see if we can get my difficulty sort out.

Cheers! ~ Joy

#17 pretty_bug01

pretty_bug01

• Villager
  • 371 posts

• Joined 01-June 07

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:46 PM

Ch 2

Row 1: 4 sc in the 2nd from hook. Sl st to join.

Row 2: 2 dc in joining stitch and in each sc around, there should be 10 dc at the end of this row. sl st to join

Row 3: Sl st in next dc. *In the next dc: (dc, tr crochet cluster, ch 1, dc), sl stitch in next dc. *repeat 3 times more. Sl st in next dc. In next stitch, (dc, tr crochet cluster).

Row 4: Ch 4, sc in the top of the tr crochet cluster,(it looks better than doing it in the chain one space, just for a tip). *Ch 8, sc in top of the triple crochet cluster* 3 times. ch 8, join with sl st in 1st ch 1 space. Fasten off if you want to change colors.

You can change colors at this point if you wish. To join sl st and ch 1 before going into row 5.

Row 5: 4 Sc in ch 4 space. In 1st ch 8 space, (4 sc, ch 2, 6 sc). In 2nd and 3rd ch 8 space, (6 sc, ch 2, 6 sc). In 4th space, (6 sc, ch 2, 4 sc). Join with a sl st.

Row 6: In back loops only, 7 dc, *in ch 2 space (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc). 12 dc in back loops only*. repeat from * 3 times. 5 dc in back loops only. Fasten off.

This problem might be because I am left-handed and am going clock-wise around the star while working. I hope that this can be fixed. Are you going clock-wise? If you are going counter-clockwise, try turning the piece before rows 5 and 6. Then try working in the front loops only to get the piece to look right. Sorry you are my guinea pig, I didn't think about the whole handedness thing because I can follow all the patterns that I have tried.

A treble crochet cluster is pretty simple. Start like you are doing a treble crochet, only do a double crochet, leaving the last loop on the hook for all three of the stitches. You should have 4 loops on the hook, pull through all 4 loops and you have a treble crochet cluster.

Thanks for your help.

Jennifer

#18 sonnets_and_stitches

sonnets_and_stitches

• Villager
  • 1,754 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hey, the world needs guinea pigs, and I volunteered! :rabbit Okay, that's a rabbit, but there wasn't a guinea pig icon! ;)

You often can get testers in the Design Den. You just say "Who wants to make this amazing new thing I designed?" and then people PM you asking "Please let me be a tester!" and then you pick four or five (or eight or ten or whatever) and PM them the pattern. That's what folks do who are testing patterns they're going to sell or publish.

#19 parisjem

parisjem

• Villager
  • 580 posts

• Joined 02-October 06

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:01 AM

Well done, Jennifer, on designing a lovely square and for being brave and posting the pattern. Getting feedback will help you. My tip - blocking really helps to make your crochet look neat and even. It also makes it look more professional. When you have changes to the pattern, please edit your post and let everyone know. I want to put this one on my WIM list. You could direct people to your photos.
:cheer

#20 sonnets_and_stitches

sonnets_and_stitches

• Villager
  • 1,754 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:00 AM

Row 3: Sl st in next dc. *In the next dc: (dc, tr crochet cluster, ch 1, dc), sl stitch in next dc. *repeat 3 times more. Sl st in next dc. In next stitch, (dc, tr crochet cluster).

~~
I'm working on this square as we speak. These words make it seem as though there are two slip stitches next to each other just before the fifth point of the star is made. Is that right?

(I put them in italics so you know which words I'm talking about.)

Having fun ~ Joy