• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 A.Kat

A.Kat

• Villager
  • 3 posts

• Joined 06-December 06

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

Hi, I know it may sound insane, but I want to make myself a floor length irish crocheted wedding dress. It will be a few years until I marry and I currently have a very boring desk job (where the boss doesn't mind if I crochet), so I think it might be doable.

Has anyone ever seen a pattern for one of these intensely complicated, antique-type dresses? Thanks! I don't ever know where to begin looking. I did a few searches, but couldn't find any patterns.

Thanks, I love this forum. It's such a great resource.

#2 crochet_hen

crochet_hen

• Villager
  • 967 posts

• Joined 14-January 07

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

I'm sorry to say I don't have any ideas for you, but I can't wait to see the responses to this...it sounds like an idea for a beautiful wedding dress! You are right...the members here are a fantastic resource and source of support...they always come through.:manyheart

#3 Shebop

Shebop

• Villager
  • 790 posts

• Joined 09-March 07

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Good luck, it sounds like an amazing project!
I made a baptismal dress for my daughter this year and it was worth every hour!
Sheila
Mother of 3 small children; and if you think my hands are full, you should see my heart!
My Blog
WIP: Smiley Face Afghan
Recent Finished Projects
butter tub turtles & ladybug
pineapple table topper, throw pillows,
Barbie Doll Clothes, Shawler CAL

#4 Katchkan

Katchkan

• Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

It is unlikely that you will find a pattern for one of the really intricate dresses. Most were works of art and no two alike. You can find books on the various motifs that you can then arrange to create your own. But I have never found a pattern for a garment persay. Just motifs and directions on how to create your own. This site has many books on the subject. http://antiquepatternlibrary.org
Good luck on your Project. I love Irish crochet.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

The Threads to my heart are wrapped around a Hook
CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#5 amdm

amdm

• Villager
  • 2,486 posts

• Joined 23-May 06

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:32 AM

What a wonderful idea! Please keep posting on your progress.

#6 Ladycrochat

Ladycrochat

• Villager
  • 4,351 posts

• Joined 16-April 06

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:24 AM

here is an earlier thread that spoke about crocheted gowns....they are not Irish Crochet, but perhpas you can use them as a starting point and add on flowers, motifs and whatever.....
http://www.crochetvi...ead.php?t=52032
THE GREATEST THING WE CAN DO IN LIFE IS SURPRISE OURSELVES!

DEBBIE
http://s63.photobuck...157/DKousmat58/

2011 wish list.....group 18 number 24

Find me on facebook at
http://www.facebook....682&ref=profile

#7 01buckler15

01buckler15

• Villager
  • 2,030 posts

• Joined 12-January 07

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

I have only seen pictures of them, not actual patterns. Good luck on your search.

#8 Tracey4610

Tracey4610

• Villager
  • 805 posts

• Joined 23-September 06

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

Well, here's one thing you can do...like Kathy suggested, go ahead and start learning to make the motifs. Begin collecting a bunch of them, making multiples of each. Find a sewing pattern you like for the style of dress you want, cut it out to your size--perhaps a little larger--and cut out some muslin to match the pattern. As you work your pieces, pin them up-side-down on the muslin wherever you'd like them to go--remember, this will be backwards, so the left side will really be the right, etc. If you enjoy symmetry (like I do), make certain you make at least two of the individual motifs so you can make each side of the dress the same. If you prefer asymmetry, then make any number you'd like, putting them wherever on the fabric. when you get enough pieces made to your liking, choose the grounding stitch you think would work best for your style, and stitch around the motifs, gradually working them together. It's a good thing you're starting now, since things like this will take quite a while. During the Victorian era, however, they had a really cool system. In Ireland, it was considered a cottage industry, and each family specialized in one or two motifs, making only those pieces. they sold their work to a middle man, who then took the pieces to people who would assemble them in their homes. This worked out fairly well, and I'd imagine that a dress probably would have taken mere months for several families to make instead of one person taking years to do it. I hope to make one for my dd, or at the very least a veil for her dress. I just need to find some better thread. :hook Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.
Christmas WIPS:
Tablecloths for mom and gm; Cowl neck-warmers for aunts, SILs, cousins; Shawls; Advent Calendars

Regular WIP list:
Special Project for Off-site swap; Afghan for friend; Christening Dress

RAOK list 9

#9 A.Kat

A.Kat

• Villager
  • 3 posts

• Joined 06-December 06

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

Thank you so much! You all have such great advice!