Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Dyeing Cotton yarn tutorial

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sammimag

sammimag
  • Villager
  • 1,488 posts

• Joined 06-January 06

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

I just came across this tutorial here. Great info you if want to dye cotton yarn.

#2 CDBear

CDBear
  • Villager
  • 1,153 posts

• Joined 02-January 07

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

Perfect!!!!

My husband works for a clothing manufacturer. Recently, while cleaning up after the company moved, he found a cone of thread that looks to be about the same as size 3 or 5. It's white cotton, and I was really wondering what I could do with it. Well, now I know!!!!
Christi

#3 Momcrochets

Momcrochets
  • Villager
  • 5,971 posts

• Joined 09-September 06

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Thanks! this might be just what I need for my skirt.

Isaiah 40:11

#4 bettycrackpot

bettycrackpot
  • Villager
  • 1,874 posts

• Joined 19-February 07

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:24 PM

thanks for the tutorial link!
"if you cant say nuthin' nice; dont say anything at all...." ~ thumper

Friendship squares: 12 in, brights! ( pink, orange, lime, etc)

#5 CDBear

CDBear
  • Villager
  • 1,153 posts

• Joined 02-January 07

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:45 AM

Well, I made the attempt to dye my thread this weekend......I picked up a kit at WalMart with yellow, blue and red in it, and started with red. I should have washed the thread before-hand. :angry But, I was able to work the color into the places I wanted it. Then I started with the blue......and had an idea! It's patriotic!!! I left off the yellow completely, and wound up with a tye-dye effect red, white and blue!!! :D

I washed my hanks (I made 4), and was very surprised when they didn't stay together as nicely as I thought they would (well maybe I should have known.....:blush ). They are on a drying rack now, because I couldn't bear the thought of the tangled mess I would wind up with if I put them in the dryer!!! I'll put some batteries in my trusty little camera, and share the results later on!!!
Christi

#6 newthingcrochet

newthingcrochet
  • Villager
  • 751 posts

• Joined 27-April 07

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

That's so neat, I'll have to try it!
Liz
My Blog
http://newthingcrochet.blogspot.com/
My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/...user_id=5264952
WIPS:

Green baby dress
Washcloths galore!
Matching sweaters for DD's
Shawl for mom for Christmas
Even more Mary Janes!
Shawl for DD

#7 tygger428

tygger428
  • Villager
  • 438 posts

• Joined 22-August 06

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:28 AM

I bought some yarn and a pattern from Lion Brand online that has instructions on how to dye yarn with Kool Aide in addition to the pattern itself (a knitted or crocheted hat, can't recall which pattern it was). I did attend some years back a dyeing workshop via my Crochet Guild chapter at a yarn shop way up north of me in Santa Rosa, CA I believe it was. It was a blast.
Anita Badger
San Jose, CA USA (AKA Silicon Valley)
see my photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/tygger428
My blog: http://tygger428.wordpress.com/

#8 sammimag

sammimag
  • Villager
  • 1,488 posts

• Joined 06-January 06

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

I bought some yarn and a pattern from Lion Brand online that has instructions on how to dye yarn with Kool Aide in addition to the pattern itself (a knitted or crocheted hat, can't recall which pattern it was). I did attend some years back a dyeing workshop via my Crochet Guild chapter at a yarn shop way up north of me in Santa Rosa, CA I believe it was. It was a blast.

Just a reminder, kool-aide works with wool yarn not with cotton yarn. Kool-aide works with wool yarn because it's an acid dye and acid dyes work with protien fibers (wool) not cellulose fibers(cotton)

#9 CDBear

CDBear
  • Villager
  • 1,153 posts

• Joined 02-January 07

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

Well, here it is......my first attempt at dyeing yarn!!!!!

It really looks a mess, doesn't it? When hubby was coming up the stairs, he saw the hanks hanging out to dry, and thought they had frayed and unravelled...... He thought he was going into walk into the living room, and find me upset!!! :eek

There are 4 200 yard hanks that are ready to be made into something cool......a shawl, maybe?

[IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r284/CDBear/RedWhiteBlueYarn.jpg[/IMG]
Christi

#10 Momcrochets

Momcrochets
  • Villager
  • 5,971 posts

• Joined 09-September 06

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

nice results. Have fun working with it!
I dyed a skirt, that's now stretched more than I anticipated, and so needs a tall thin person (about 6 foot?). the color turned out well. I dipped yarn in the leftovers, (some peaches and cream), and it took the color well. but I want to add some more color before I post a px. And I most of it for this summer, when we do our tye dye fun during camping. (turquoise and green...aqua...to match the bathroom, can't wait) :)

Isaiah 40:11

#11 Snappish

Snappish
  • Villager
  • 171 posts

• Joined 03-January 07

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Christi - I am dealing with the same issue after my first try at dyeing. I put my size 10 cotton thread hanks in a little lingerie bag (individually, not together) to rinse them on the gentle cycle...won't do that again. I have 3 400 yard hanks to wind into balls with my trusty ball winder. I attempted the first tonight, and well, lets just say its not going well. After a few hours I set it down, and I think my daughter is working on it now. I was pleased with my first attempt at dyeing, but I learned my lesson on the rinsing in the machine. If I ever get them untangled, I will post pics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brenda
Visit My Blog to see completed projects!
My Ravelry project page
My eBay Store: Bre-Aly Threads

#12 CDBear

CDBear
  • Villager
  • 1,153 posts

• Joined 02-January 07

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

It took a while to untangle and wind them into balls, but it wasn't really all that bad...... I spent 2 evenings watching tv with hubby untangling and winding by hand (read: no swift or winder :( ). I found it relaxing, believe it or not!!
Christi

#13 Snappish

Snappish
  • Villager
  • 171 posts

• Joined 03-January 07

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:13 AM

I worked on it while watching tv too. I think the winder is a hinderance right now. I took it off and began winding by hand because I needed to go over and under threads and I couldn't do that with it on the winder. I figure I can wind it after it is in ball form. I don't think a swift would have helped in with it in the state it was in. I wonder though if I had used a swift to "hank" the thread instead of using a chair, if it would have made a difference in the end result.

Any other dyers out there have any tips on how to keep it from tangling during the dyeing process? Obviously, don't put it in the machine. LOL I would like to do more, and there is obviously a better (and right) way of doing it. I just don't want to spend more time untangling my thread than it took me to dye it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brenda
Visit My Blog to see completed projects!
My Ravelry project page
My eBay Store: Bre-Aly Threads

#14 Lady_Savant

Lady_Savant
  • Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 28-October 10

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Thank you for the great link. Just what I was looking for.

#15 Hui Lian

Hui Lian
  • Villager
  • 100 posts

• Joined 07-June 06

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi all,

Just thought I would share this tip to keep the yarn untangled:

When you are tying the ends of the yarn together, wind each end of the yarn around separate halves of the yarn before tying. Not sure if I am giving you the right picture, but you will form a figure of eight with the yarn ends. You will do this with additional lengths of the yarn around the whole skein. This will keep the yarn from tangling.