Live Chat with Tammy Hildebrand, Wed, July 23, 3:00 PM EDT

Click here for all the details!

Photo

How to keep thread from twisting on itself?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 xantha

xantha
  • Villager
  • 1,384 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:29 PM

One thing I've noticed while working with thread is that while I work from the spool, the thread I have between where I'm working and on the spool tends to kink up and twist on itself (like overspun yarn that wasn't set properly). I constantly fear that it is going to kink up so much that I won't be able to get the knot out and I will have to *gasp* cut and attach a new end, giving me more ends to weave in. :thumbdown

Is there a way to prevent this? Am I the only person who has this problem?:think

It also tends to be very static-y, but I think that's in part due to the dryness of the air here right now and I can deal with that (though it is annoying when it sticks to my arm!).

Thanks! You guys are the best! :ghug

-jess

#2 Julie

Julie
  • Villager
  • 8,124 posts

• Joined 08-March 05

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:33 PM

It happens to me too. I wrote about it here. I've yet to find a perfect solution. I pretty certain it has to do with how tightly I hold the tension on the thread.

#3 xantha

xantha
  • Villager
  • 1,384 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:01 AM

Julie -- good to know I'm not the only one, and there are some great suggestions in there! I somehow missed that post. :bang

I do pull off a section of thread so I can work for a while without messing up my tension, but it makes some sense that it twists up. I will have to try some of those suggestions and see if anything helps!

Thanks! :sun

-jess

#4 Tampa Doll

Tampa Doll
  • Villager
  • 23,950 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:24 PM

When I’m doing a thread project, I borrow my paper towel holder. My husband inevitably asks. “Where is the paper towel holder, he hasn’t caught on yet. :shrug

The other thread that was mentioned has some good ideas you can use. :bow I have ofter thought of getting the banana holder, but couldn't figure out how to fix it to hold my thread. :idea Why pay big bucks for something you can find in your kitchen. :danc

[img]http://img122.exs.cx/img122/203/360x480papertowel3dn.jpg[/img]

#5 xantha

xantha
  • Villager
  • 1,384 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the input! I did try the paper towel roll holder today and it helped (except for when the dogs and cat knocked it over :eek ) but if I pulled too much thread off it, it still twisted up on itself. :thair

I guess really the paper towel holder makes it so I don't have to pull as much off the spool to prevent a tension issue while stitching. Oy!

Still, better than without it, so thanks for the tips. :nworthy

#6 froggy

froggy
  • Villager
  • 8,687 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:53 PM

Mary Jo, Thanks for the tip on the paper towel holder for holding thread while crocheting. Never would have thought of that, and looks like yours is pretty heavy so you don't pull it off the table or your work surface. I may have to visit the store today and get a wooden paper towel holder, thanks again!:f-1

#7 lkirsch

lkirsch
  • Villager
  • 19 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:26 PM

What a clever idea! I even have an extra in the house so now have a use for it! :day

Linda

#8 123mama

123mama
  • Villager
  • 3,864 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:05 PM

When I am crocheting in the sunroom I use the curtain rod on the lower curtain.:lol It sure does help.

#9 cajunwhacko

cajunwhacko
  • Villager
  • 791 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:45 PM

I know this is a sorta old one, but since there was never really a difinitive solution... I thought I'd add my two cents!

I don't really work with thread in crochet, but I always had this problem when I did counted cross stitch. And it did happen when I was using some lustersheen last month...

It doesn't prevent it, but whenever I notice it happening I grab the base of thread that's pulled out to use (with the lustersheen I slide my hook so the thread is at the middle of it) and then hold it up and drop my project so it hangs in the air. It spins itself out, and you can pick it back up and work for a while longer without the thread knotting up because it twisted sooooo much. When it gets twisted up again, just repeat the process.

It isn't the most elegant solution, but it works. Just make sure your hook is well anchored (or that you have something else to hold your loop) or things could get really ugly!
I hope I understood the problem right and that this helps a little!

#10 Donna

Donna
  • Administrator
  • 6,268 posts

• Joined 07-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:19 PM

...whenever I notice it happening I grab the base of thread that's pulled out to use (with the lustersheen I slide my hook so the thread is at the middle of it) and then hold it up and drop my project so it hangs in the air. It spins itself out, and you can pick it back up and work for a while longer without the thread knotting up because it twisted sooooo much. When it gets twisted up again, just repeat the process.

Great idea! You could use one of those locking stitch markers in your last stitch to hold it. :idea

Donna

#11 Kathleen

Kathleen
  • Villager
  • 1,225 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:59 PM

Hey, that paper towel holder idea is great! Think I'll try it!
Kathleen

My Avatar: Me at 3!

My Blog:CrochetCurbsideCouture

#12 goldengal

goldengal
  • Villager
  • 15 posts

• Joined 19-November 05

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:48 PM

what i do is put a bobby pin (the bigger kind) through the loop before letting it spin... i always have a box of pins beside me when crocheting!! ithey also work as stitch markers or stitch 'holders' when you are taking a break in case someone accidentally unravels all your hard work!!

#13 Julie

Julie
  • Villager
  • 8,124 posts

• Joined 08-March 05

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:47 AM

I've started keeping a few large safety pins around for the same reason. And in a pinch I've taken off a leverback earring and used that too. Desperate times. :wink

#14 lyrakristine

lyrakristine
  • Villager
  • 66 posts

• Joined 26-November 05

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

When I’m doing a thread project, I borrow my paper towel holder. My husband inevitably asks. “Where is the paper towel holder, he hasn’t caught on yet. :shrug

The other thread that was mentioned has some good ideas you can use. :bow I have ofter thought of getting the banana holder, but couldn't figure out how to fix it to hold my thread. :idea Why pay big bucks for something you can find in your kitchen. :danc

[img]http://img122.exs.cx/img122/203/360x480papertowel3dn.jpg[/img]

I have been looking for a solution for my own thread problem. So thank you, I will be doing that as soon as I get dig out my spare holder. :)