13 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane

• Villager
  • 885 posts

• Joined 04-February 13

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

Hi All!:waving

I have been reading through here and am so inspired by all the lovely work that you have done that I want to make and donate items to the babies and children's section of my local hospital.

How do I do that? Do I ring them and ask them? How has everyone else organised to do it? I am thinking of toys for the kids and blankets, booties, socks, hats etc.. for the babies.

Keep up the great work everyone! You are making so many peoples lives happier each and every day by the generosity that comes straight from your hearts and out through you hooks!:hook:clap:hug:cheer:yay

#2 theworm

theworm

• Villager
  • 3,436 posts

• Joined 02-January 06

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

you can check the hospital website, or just call and ask to speak to somebody in volunteer services. They'll tell you what they need/want and give you instructions. :)

#3 lildumpling

lildumpling

• Villager
  • 66 posts

• Joined 14-January 06

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:06 AM

There is are a couple of wonderful volunteers groups that crochet large numbers of small blankets, and small quilts for the childrens department in our hospital. They just call and bring them by the unit. I so admire them for their ability to do this.

#4 BityBabyNurse

BityBabyNurse

• Villager
  • 150 posts

• Joined 16-October 06

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:39 AM

http://www.carewear.org/

You can go to this website and do a search under the link to hospitals and see if your local hospital will take donations. There will be an address and phone number.

Oops, nevermind that is just for the states.

BityBabyNurse ~~ Mama of Kaylen 16, Caleb 14, Katie 8, and Chandler 5

https://www.etsy.com...ene?ref=si_shop

#5 Shell

Shell

• Villager
  • 4,054 posts

• Joined 24-August 06

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:02 AM

My daughter has spent time in Princess Margaret Hospital, which is WA's only childrens hospital. While there talking with activity coordinators and social workers etc, it seems people quite literally just post things to them, drop them at the enquiries desk etc. I don't think there is anything formal involved. You want to donate, they accept. If thay can't use the items they find them homes. For example stuffed toys aren't used in hospitals as they're hard to clean, dust mites etc. So in PMH you go to social work, and you can pick up a teddy or 10 for your child. The box is always over flowing. Great for parents who want to cheer their kids up but cannot afford to buy them a present. Radio Lollipop and some of the other Starlight activities groups also dropped in little gifts for colouring in and any other random thing. It seems they have boxes of stuff and they just grab an item to suit the child they're giving to. I am sure they'd happily take donations of new toys. As for the blankets, booties etc I would put them in an envelope, select an appropriate hospital and post them off :) best of luck with it!

------------------------------

I don't have the staying power...

Blog - Wish

#6 KristieMN

KristieMN

• Villager
  • 1,883 posts

• Joined 26-October 05

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:14 AM

I know I know!!! :D

I started by calling and talking to the operator. She put my in touch with child life services.

They were super helpful!
Just start calling!

#7 yarncat

yarncat

• Villager
  • 19,516 posts

• Joined 02-July 05

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:25 AM

I called the local hospice(my FIL wa there for a short time a few years ago)& asked if they could use lap blankets.The eagerly said "YES!".I have been dropping them off whenever I'm in town.This past weekend,I dropped off 10.

#8 craftconnie1

craftconnie1

• Villager
  • 793 posts

• Joined 04-April 06

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:46 AM

I would contact the hospital; each has their unique set of requests, some even have patterns. I take my donations to whichever unit .... preemie hats to the preemie section, cancer hats to our cancer hospital, comfort 'ghans to a hospice. Sometimes they have special rquests which is helpful in choosing colors, or sizes. Sometimes there are volunteer meetings where ladies get together to make larger projects. I have a whole lot more new friends by making the hospice afghans ...we really get a lot more done as a group, and the encouragement is great !!!!!

#9 salos

salos

• Villager
  • 1,460 posts

• Joined 20-January 06

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

One time I took a box to the neonatal unit where my daughter was born. I had tried to call first and was met with confusion. When they saw what I had made, though, there was no problem. Lots of oohs and ahs.

#10 CDBear

CDBear

• Villager
  • 1,153 posts

• Joined 02-January 07

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

I have a co-worker who's wife works for St. Jude's in Memphis. I sent her an email this week about sending hats and blankets, and she said she'd put me in touch with the right people...... She was really excited to hear about it....

Christi

#11 Debbi-a1

Debbi-a1

• Villager
  • 6,654 posts

• Joined 07-June 06

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

Call and if they aren't sure, drop by with some blankets. I called my local hospital and asked for the volunteer coordinator. They were glad to receive them.
[URL="http://debbia1.blogspot.com/"][/URL]

#12 heart

heart

• Villager
  • 4,124 posts

• Joined 19-September 06

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

You have a lot of info already, so I will encourage you! this is a wonderful thing you want to do! Good for you! Say a prayer and jump right in, it really is a special blessing to be able to help. :U

SarahSweethearts.blogspot.com
I believe everyday is a gift from God, even the trying ones. I hope you have a Beautiful Day!

#13 Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane

• Villager
  • 885 posts

• Joined 04-February 13

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice! I will call them!

#14 Ellie 13

Ellie 13

• Villager
  • 1,660 posts

• Joined 19-March 06

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

Try projectlinus.com, they're are in Europe and the US. You might find one in Australia, you never know. If the hospitals never took donations before, you could start a trend. Good luck. God bless.
Ellie 13

Afghan crocheters get wrapped up in their work.
2014 Stash Busting: WTD: + 1  YTD: + 145

2007: +304. 2008: +328. 2009: +171. 2010: +128.

2011: +186. 2012: + 103. 2013: + 90