• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 specialkate

specialkate

• Villager
  • 49 posts

• Joined 14-November 06

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

Ever since my very first crochet adventure (a green and beige granny square bag), I have loved the allure of those quick, simple, useful, and satisfying crochet cotton purse projects! Here is the basic pattern I created which I have been using to make quite the plethora of bags! They make great gifts and with a little creativity are easily altered to fit the personality and style of the purse recipient! :)

Here is the pink-princess purse (pattern written to make this bag)
[IMG]http://static.flickr.com/101/297738386_9bf4cd8ba7_m.jpg[/IMG]

Materials used:

- Two 50 gram balls of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (main colour -mc)
- One 50 gram ball of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (contrast -cc)
- 4.5 mm crochet hook (or what size req'd for gauge)
- Yarn needle

Gauge:
7 sc = about 5cms (about 2" for those non-metric folk)

Main Bag (mc):

Front:
Row 1: Ch. 31, turn, sc in each st starting with the 2nd ch from hook
Row 2: Sc along (30 sc), ch. 1, turn
Rows 3 - 23: Repeat Row 2, on row 23 fasten off at end

Back Piece (including front flap):
Same as front piece, but this time make 37 rows, fasten off

Handle and Sides (cc):

Row 1: Ch. 6, Sc in each ch starting in 2nd ch from hook, Ch. 1 turn.
Rows 2 - ??: Repeat the simple sc 5, ch 1, turn sequence until desired length for the sides and handle of bag (Mine was about 130 rows in length)
Row 131: sc the long strip into a loop (I used this seam as one of the bottom corners to help conceal it)

Flower (cc):

Ch 10, join with slip stitch. *Ch 2, dc in first st of loop, dc in next st of loop, ch 2, sc into the same st of loop as the second dc* (So you have ch.2, dc, dc, ch.2 in the first two sts of the loop). Repeat the *'s in the remaining 8 sts of the loop resulting in 5 petals!

**To make larger flowers you can change the pattern to be ch.3, tc, tc, ch.3 and so forth. To make the double flower shown in the picture I just used a 5.5mm hook for the outer flower and a 3.75mm hook for the inner flower.

Close up of flower:
[IMG]http://static.flickr.com/116/298431261_04f18f586a_m.jpg[/IMG]

Finishing:

Attach the cc long piece to the main bag pieces with the mc. I prefer to join the pieces by sc with the right sides together of the main bag because it seems to give it a little more structure. I also like to sc around the edges of the handle and front flap to make it look a little more finished. Then simply sew on the flower and few dashed lines in the cc. Tuck in any lose ends. I also lined this bag in felt and added some snaps to the corners of the front flap so it had a proper closure. Then you're done! :cheer Enjoy!!

I have had a lot of fun making variations of this pattern, here is a flap-less red and beige version I made for myself (with the star/snowflake pattern embroidered on the front). I hope to make a few with big button closures for some fun and simple christmas gifties.

[IMG]http://static.flickr.com/114/297738381_180cf3099b_m.jpg[/IMG]

I would love to hear what you think and would especially LOVE to see bags anyone makes from the basics of this pattern! Please drop me a line and share your work! :hook

#2 soluna

soluna

• Villager
  • 574 posts

• Joined 06-September 05

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

wow that is so beautiful:eek .... thank you so much for sharing the pattern, i will try to make some for gifts. i have a question, can i use acrylic ww yarn for this purse?:think i dont have that much cotton yarn :blush
thank you :manyheart

#3 specialkate

specialkate

• Villager
  • 49 posts

• Joined 14-November 06

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

You bet! Using acrylic yarn is totally fine! However acrylic yarn doesn't seem to keep its shape as well as cotton, but if you make your stitches tight (or use a smaller hook to avoid it from becoming too lose...especially on the handle), it should work fabulously! I am tempted to switch over to acrylic yarn myself (I live in a super small town and my cotton colour choices are VERY limited). Adding lining also helps with purse strength and shape. Hope it works out for you! :D

#4 soluna

soluna

• Villager
  • 574 posts

• Joined 06-September 05

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

great thanks:) , i will try and use a smaller hook. i was looking for something to make my two sisters in law for christmas, and i think i will make them each a purse like this in different colors. thank youuuu!:hook

#5 yarncat

yarncat

• Villager
  • 19,516 posts

• Joined 02-July 05

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

Fun purse!Thanks for the pattern.:yarn

#6 lhasaapsolady

lhasaapsolady

• Villager
  • 13,191 posts

• Joined 21-May 06

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:49 PM

very cute.

Wanda Kay

Give us hook, yarn, thread, and a pattern a day We'll merrily sit and crochet and crochet

http://lhasaapsolady.wordpress.com/

2016 Stashbusting  WTD+4/ YTD+263

2015 Stashbusting WTD+10 YTD+58
2014 Stashbusting  WTD +20/YTD+138,  2013 Stashbusting WTD+8/YTD+156, 2012 Stashbusting WTD+8/YTD+148, 2011 Stashbusting WTD/+12 YTD/+219, 2010 Stashbusting CAL:YTD/+318

#7 CrochetCathy

CrochetCathy

• Villager
  • 82 posts

• Joined 14-November 06

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:21 PM

Perfect! Thanks for sharing--now I know what to make for my nieces!:cheer :yes
Crochet Cathy

#8 Tiga

Tiga

• Villager
  • 1,083 posts

• Joined 31-August 06

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

I have some awesome colors left over from a poncho I just finished for my daughter and this purse is the perfect use for them.

I'll probably be working on the purse for awhile, though, as I'm a granny square making machine at the moment, lol!

Thanks for the pattern! It's really versatile looking; I'll be doing stripes for mine, as I'm using scraps.

#9 lilmari

lilmari

• Villager
  • 791 posts

• Joined 07-February 06

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:48 PM

wow awesome i am so gonna try this out!:manyheart
My Crochet Blog http://yeenmachine.blogspot.com
singular:yarn::plural:yeen? O_o?

#10 JoBug

JoBug

• Villager
  • 4,604 posts

• Joined 28-August 06

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:23 AM

I LOVE them both!! As soon as I am done with all my CHristmas exchanges and such I will definatly make one or two of these!! Thanks for sharing your pattern!!
Hugs and Hooks
JoAnn
PROUD owner of MaryJo's CrochetVille Bag
Thank you all for loving me! As I am, the JoBug, and I STILL cant do the Daisy square..urghhhh

#11 Roli

Roli

• Villager
  • 4,534 posts

• Joined 15-November 05

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:54 AM

Such cute little purses! They would also make great travel bags for make-up or jewelry. Thanks!

#12 StephanieD

StephanieD

• Villager
  • 256 posts

• Joined 12-November 06

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:49 AM

I'm in the process of making this purse now. It's going slowly though b/c I have a few projects going now. If I'm able to do it correctly, I plan on giving it to my niece for her birthday.

#13 judianne

judianne

• Villager
  • 22,978 posts

• Joined 06-November 06

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:03 AM

Ever since my very first crochet adventure (a green and beige granny square bag), I have loved the allure of those quick, simple, useful, and satisfying crochet cotton purse projects! Here is the basic pattern I created which I have been using to make quite the plethora of bags! They make great gifts and with a little creativity are easily altered to fit the personality and style of the purse recipient! :)
:hook

wonderful pattern...other than a hobo-type bag i just finished for a gift, i haven't made purses for a long time, but this will get me going! you have a great imagination.:clap
Judy
"Wise is the woman who fortifies her life with friendships."

Proud Bag Lady of #44, Peppermint Swirl

www.judysyarncreations.blogspot.com

#14 Melibean223

Melibean223

• Villager
  • 443 posts

• Joined 22-July 06

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

definatly awsome and I can't wait to try this out my sister is itching for a purse and she saw some cotton yarn she liked my only question is what weight yarn did you use? the stuff she found was WW and I would love to use that for her since she very rarley picks stuff out when we go to pet the yarn.

~Melissa~

Mini Squares-

4 Brown 16 Green 0 Varigated

Stashbusting Score:

WTD +6

YTD +26

#15 specialkate

specialkate

• Villager
  • 49 posts

• Joined 14-November 06

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

ww cotton would work perfectly! Good luck! (If you have any problems or questions with the pattern don't hesitate to ask. I am always happy to help):manyheart

#16 judianne

judianne

• Villager
  • 22,978 posts

• Joined 06-November 06

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

when we go to pet the yarn.

i love the way you phrased picking out yarn...i have to use it next time i yarn shop - because that's exactly what we do to the yarn -- pet it!!
:cat
Judy
"Wise is the woman who fortifies her life with friendships."

Proud Bag Lady of #44, Peppermint Swirl

www.judysyarncreations.blogspot.com

#17 JoBug

JoBug

• Villager
  • 4,604 posts

• Joined 28-August 06

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

After an hour PONDERING what to make for the Valentines Day CAL, I decided on this!! I am going to make this purse, with a heart motif :manyheart
By the way, I have made this pattern and it works up very lovely!! Again, thanks for the pattern!! I made one for my Holiday exchange partner, but I never heard from her again, she fell off the earth I am afraid. Anyways, I WILL take a pic of this one :D .
:hug
Hugs and Hooks
JoAnn
PROUD owner of MaryJo's CrochetVille Bag
Thank you all for loving me! As I am, the JoBug, and I STILL cant do the Daisy square..urghhhh

#18 Riohnna

Riohnna

• Villager
  • 5,383 posts

• Joined 30-November 06

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

Your purses are great!!!!

#19 parisjem

parisjem

• Villager
  • 580 posts

• Joined 02-October 06

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:25 AM

Cool purse. Way to go!
:yay :yay

#20 Misa

Misa

• Villager
  • 13,729 posts

• Joined 18-December 06

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:23 AM

Very cute purses!! Great job :clap
Cara

Happy Yellow House Free Patterns

“Keep away from the people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great.” ~ Mark Twain