Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:49 PM
Props to anyone that recognizes the logo!
Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:38 AM
Give us hook, yarn, thread, and a pattern a day We'll merrily sit and crochet and crochet
2016 Stashbusting WTD+44/YTD+70
2015 Stashbusting WTD+10 YTD+58
2014 Stashbusting WTD +20/YTD+138, 2013 Stashbusting WTD+8/YTD+156, 2012 Stashbusting WTD+8/YTD+148, 2011 Stashbusting WTD/+12 YTD/+219, 2010 Stashbusting CAL:YTD/+318
Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:45 AM
Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:48 AM
I tired to do a simple graphgan and gave up. The yarn is being turned into a granny square collection (not sure what they will turn into yet). Nice job!
Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:30 AM
How about Penn State Nitney Lions? (spelling I know is off)
Sorry now that I look at it, the colors may be wrong for that team. I don't follow college ball.
Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:44 AM
My 12yo DS asked me to make him a University of Michigan afghan. I'm like that would take me forever so I ordered him a fleece one.
But after seeing yours I wish I would have tried. Where'd you get the graph pattern?
Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:54 AM
Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:59 AM
Please! I want details! How large was your graph? What size hook did you use. What type of yarn did you use?
Are you totally hooked on tunisian graph ghans now? I am!
Linda -- (No longer Reno, NV!)
Tega Cay, SC
Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:48 PM
Thanks for the comments. Here are some more details:
I started with the logo that I found on the internet (sportslogos.net), which I cleaned up in Photoshop to reduce the number of colors so it would translate well on a chart. Next, I ran it through a free online stitch chart generator (Darklilac). After that, it was all about figuring out how to work color changes into the afghan stitch technique, which I did from this great site (here). Two months later, it was finished! I did the border in 2 rows of double crochet. I thought that this would help the edges from curling (it kind of worked). The dimensions of the graph was ~37w x 96h or so. I added more purple columns and rows to the chart, to get the final afghan to the size that I wanted. I think the total (after the padding) was 120w x 160h. I used RHSS yarn w/ a size J afghan hook (14" long). I built the left half first, and then did the 2nd half (crocheting it to the left half as I went).
It got a little tedious at times, especially when there was a lot of color changing going on and I had numerous strands of yarn that I was dealing with. Weaving in all the loose ends at the end wasn't much fun either. But overall, I loved the technique. It's more engaging than the typical afghan pattern which just repeats itself over and over again. I don't get as bored when I can see the design take shape with each row. I've also found that the afghan stitch is much faster than doing sc's.
If you've never done one before, give it a try! I would consider myself a novice crocheter at best, so if I can do it I'm sure all of you can as well. Good luck!
Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:39 PM
WIP- wine colored afghan
Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:54 PM
Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:19 PM