Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Crocheted Blanket Doll Pattern

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 truelove730

truelove730
  • Villager
  • 441 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:42 AM

Hello all!

I was refered to this message board by Rachel from Crochet Pattern Central. I am looking for a pattern. When I was little I used to have a doll that was crocheted. The body of the doll was in the middle of the blanket. The blanket was only 15"x15" maybe. The body was stuffed and the doll had a plastic face, hands and feet. Does this sound familiar to anyone or do you know where I could get this pattern?

Thank you for your help.

Heather Truelove

#2 Ambersafghans

Ambersafghans
  • Villager
  • 2,312 posts

• Joined 25-March 05

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:50 AM

Hi Heather!
Welcome to Crochetville. I hope you stick around. I"m sorry, but I havne't heard of that. (Of course I'm probably not old enough to have seen them. :))
I hope you find it! It sounds really cute.
Amber

#3 Julie

Julie
  • Villager
  • 8,124 posts

• Joined 08-March 05

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:56 PM

Hi Heather! Welcome to Crochetville! :welcome

Oh gosh, all I'm getting for some reason when I try to picture that is a doll I had that was made from fabric. She was Little Red Riding Hood, stuffed like a pillow kind of but with a dress, and when you turned the doll upside down and lifted the fabric dress, she turned into the big bad wolf. I know it isn't similar, but now I can't get that out of my head.

I'm guessing the doll's dress formed the blanket? :thinking1

#4 Kathleen

Kathleen
  • Villager
  • 1,225 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:17 PM

I have seen these "blanket" dollies. I remember them, I do.

Though this is NOT a blanket dolly, This doll bed purse is sooo cute too. I had one when I was a little girl, and when I grew up, I made a bunch and sold them for 25 bucks a pop!

#5 truelove730

truelove730
  • Villager
  • 441 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for all your feedback! I really like that doll bed purse. I am going to give that one a try. I thought maybe if I drew it out it out help see what I was talking about, but I cannot seem to get it to work. So I will try something else and repost.

Better Description:
Start with a 15"x15" square, in the middle is a small stuffed rectangle 5"x7" (body) with crocehted arms and legs also stuffed; all one piece. Then you have the plastic doll head, hands and feet. Then you take the sides and wrap them around the middle body.

The measurements are all guess because the real doll is in FL with my parents, that is if it survived the hurricanes, in storage. If I had access to the doll I could try to design the pattern but there is no telling where it is in all the boxes. If I ever find it I will post it for everyone to enjoy. I loved that doll and hope to make more.

#6 head2toepets2go

head2toepets2go
  • Villager
  • 344 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:44 PM

baby in blanket

here's a link i stumbled across one day i a genealogy site of all places, there's no picture but i might be what you're looking for :fc

fran

#7 bythehook

bythehook
  • Villager
  • 2,469 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

That's an interesting sounding pattern. Sometimes I like to crochet something that has no picture just to see how it looks. I might give this a try sometime. Thanks

#8 Kathleen

Kathleen
  • Villager
  • 1,225 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:09 PM

maybe someone is gutsy enough to make this without a picture, and if they are, please post the pic of your finished baby with the pattern link when you are done, so the less gutsy of us-- specifically me-- can see the pattern with a pic and possibly try it. :)

#9 truelove730

truelove730
  • Villager
  • 441 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:08 AM

I accept the challenge. After reading the pattern it sounds like it may be what I have been looking for. I will see if I can get it done this weekend and get a picture to everyone. Thank you everyone for you help! You are all so helpful and friendly!

#10 bythehook

bythehook
  • Villager
  • 2,469 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:11 PM

Oh, goody! :yay2 I read the pattern and :eek2 :faint I decided it was too much for me. :ohdear :sweat

#11 Kathleen

Kathleen
  • Villager
  • 1,225 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:27 PM

Now Dot, your talent shouldn't be limited.. I don't think anything is too hard for someone who designs like you!

#12 bythehook

bythehook
  • Villager
  • 2,469 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

:rofl :ha :ty but I'm always surprised when one of my designs turns out good! :eek You didn't think I was doing this on purpose, did you? :bad

#13 mythunderbird

mythunderbird
  • Emigrated from the Village
  • 7,215 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:35 PM

the best patterns are the one we don't think is going to turn out:lol , i would say though Dot that you can do anything if your blog is any indication. i absoultely(didn't spell that right) your hats, they are tooooo cute. i want to try and make something cute like that for my baby niece who is 1 1/2. she is the cutest little girl and loves hats!!!:cheer2 , thanks again for sharing. your the best:hug

#14 bythehook

bythehook
  • Villager
  • 2,469 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:57 PM

Thank you very much, mythunderbird. :)) It's totally my pleasure! :yes

#15 LanetteG

LanetteG
  • Villager
  • 367 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:58 PM

:clap
I have one of these! My grandmother made them for my sister and I. She used to put her hand on the back and put her fingers in the head and arms and make it move. I'll see if I can dig it up and get a picture!
Lanette:yay

#16 MarvieN

MarvieN
  • 1,906 posts

• Joined 24-March 05

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:54 AM

Julie,
OMG I had one of those too! Did your's have the Granma's face on the back side of the Big Bad Wolf? I loved that doll :)h
Thanks for bringing back that memory!

Marvie

#17 MarvieN

MarvieN
  • 1,906 posts

• Joined 24-March 05

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:59 AM

Heather,

I have a doll similar to what you've described... I don't have the pattern for it and I can't even share a pic of it yet, but I'll try to get hubby to hurry up and do his thing so I can ok?

My doll was given to me a couple of years ago, and she isn't attached to her blanket, she's wearing a ruffled dress (crocheted) and sits on the matching blanket (though the lady that gave me the doll didn't give me the blanket bc her cats claimed it lol) I'll get her out and see if I can figure out the pattern (no promises there I am WAY new to the pattern thing but I'll sure try) and post pics if it sounds like what you want.

Marvie (trying to remember where that doll is at the moment.... :coffee )

#18 faithpa76

faithpa76
  • Villager
  • 6,723 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:44 PM

OH MY GOSH! I had one growing up (dd has it now) and we have a second one that my aunt made for my dd for Christmas last year - I took a picture but I'm trying to get my computer to cooperate so I can scare up the picture for you. I loved mine as a kid and dd loves having both (mine and hers!).

:)

#19 faithpa76

faithpa76
  • Villager
  • 6,723 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:02 PM

I hope this is it! This is my dd's doll. Hope this helps provide a visual - it can't be TOO too hard, my aunt is not a master crocheter and she said that while it has lots of steps it isn't hard to make.

Excuse the half cat and the unfolded blanket in the first pic, lol.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/faithpa76/DSC02656b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/faithpa76/DSC02657b.jpg[/img]

:)

Faith

#20 truelove730

truelove730
  • Villager
  • 441 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:11 PM

That is it! I have started the pattern and hoped to have it done right away but I am not able to locate the hands and face. I have only been able to go to Hobby Lobby and Michaels to look for it and they don't have it. I hope to get out to other stores this weekend and find the hands and face. The pattern provided above is what I am working on and from what I have done so far and the way the patter reads it looks just like the pick Faith posted.

Thanks everyone! :)