This is my own, original creation...and the first design I've posted at the 'Ville. (I've been designing for awhile, but nothing accepted yet:( )
Lady Bug Purse
Sport weight yarn in red and black
Size F (4.0mm) crochet hook
Gauge not significant to final results. Model was approx 6", before handles.
Note: Pattern written in US Terminology….
US dc = Eng treble
US sc = Eng dc
US sl st = Eng sc
Body: (make 2)
With red, ch 8.
- Dc in 4th ch from hook and next 3 ch. 4 dc in last ch. Dc in free loops of next 3 ch. 3 dc in next st (same as 1st dc). Join
- Ch 3. (counts as first dc now and throughout) dc in same st. 1 dc in next 3 sts. 2 dc in next 4 sts. 1 dc in next 3 sts. 2 dc in rem 3 sts. Join to top of ch 3
- Ch 3, dc in same st. 2 dc in next st. 1 dc in next 4 sts. 2 dc in next 7 sts. 1 dc in next 4 sts. 2 dc in rem 5 sts. Join
- Ch 3, dc in same st. 2 dc in next 3 sts. 1 dc in next 5 sts. 2 dc in next 12 sts. 1 dc in next 5 sts. 2 dc in rem 9 sts. Join. Fasten off.
- (Making head) Mark center of one end. Attach black, 5 sts before marked st. Ch 1, sc in same st and next 10 sts. (11 sc)
- Ch 1, turn. Sk 1st st, sc in next 8 sts, sc dec over last 2 sts.
- Ch 1, turn. Sk 1st st, sc in next 6 sts, sc dec over last 2 sts
- Ch 1, turn. Sk 1st st, sc in next 4 sts, sc dec over last 2 sts. Fasten off.
- With RS facing, join black in same st as beg of step 5. sc evenly around head. Fasten off.
Dots: (4 per body)
- Make slip ring (or ch 2), 5 sc into ring (or 1st ch). Join. Fasten off. (with slip ring, pull tail to close hole.)
- Embroider chain st down center of body.
- Use tails of dots to anchor them to the body. (Knot, tie, trim, fraycheck)
- Weave in and trim any rem tails
- Hold ladybugs with WS tog, join red in 3rd free dc from head. Sc evenly around to 3rd last free dc from other side of head. Ch 40, (more for longer handle) join to first sc with sl st. Ch 40 again, join to last sc of joining round. (omit last ch 40 if you want one handle only…or make it thicker by sl st along ch back to beg, join, fasten off)
- Make liner. Sew in place. (no zippers)
For coin purse, omit above steps 4&5. With clear or matching thread, sew around body, starting 3 dc before head, sew going around head, around body, and stop 10 sts before where you began. Make liner and sew in place…tack zipper in between liner and ladybug.
Make coaster: Use cotton yarn (absorbs moisture better). With WW--like Sugar and Cream, use G hook. You only need one body (duh?) per coaster.