• Please log in to reply
1380 replies to this topic

#1 Melibean223

Melibean223

• Villager
  • 443 posts

• Joined 22-July 06

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:15 PM

I have 2 giant granny square afgans to make as of right now before xmas, I was wondering if anyone out there would like to do one of these along with me. They seem to be very quick working and the color combos are endless. If anyone out there is interested just let me know I've already started one of mine and will post pics if anyone is intersted in seeing it. Feel free to just join on in at any time if you are interested :)

http://iamtotallyobs....-pictures.html

~Melissa~

Mini Squares-

4 Brown 16 Green 0 Varigated

Stashbusting Score:

WTD +6

YTD +26

#2 Gardener

Gardener

• Villager
  • 15,888 posts

• Joined 16-June 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:35 AM

I just finished one, and I don't think I'd better start on another one until I finish a few of my other projects. However this is a really easy way to get a nice afghan finished. Once you get it going it "grows" quickly. I have been thinking of using this idea to make lap robes for nursing home patients using yarn leftover from other projects. I think it would look fine if each round was a different color. If this is still going when some of my WIPs are finished I'll be back.

#3 Butterfly04

Butterfly04

• Villager
  • 346 posts

• Joined 01-September 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

:yes I will join in, I have started on one already. It is a great way to use up my yarn. I am trying to use up all the yarn I have by December 31, 2006 so far I am almost done with all the yarn I have. All my yarn is put together by projects and all projects are started or almost finished. now if I can say the same thing about the other crafts I do I would be in good shape.:lol
"Enjoy life one stitch at a time"

#4 ankey

ankey

• Villager
  • 795 posts

• Joined 05-July 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

I'm currently making one as a christmas present for my sister. I've only done two rounds though so I'll definitely join in here... hopefully this'll help me keep up my motivation to finish it by christmas!

#5 Shellybrook

Shellybrook

• Villager
  • 731 posts

• Joined 28-April 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:58 AM

So are we talking ONE Giant Granny Square or a Giant Afghan made of Granny Squares?

I have a WIP or two myself to finish by X-mas.

#6 barbn77

barbn77

• Villager
  • 1,090 posts

• Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

I'll join, just this morning I bought enough to make each of my girls one for christmas :hook I'm doing one in hot pink and white and the other will be light pink/md. pink/ and green varigated with a blue that i have in my stash that looks really pretty with it :yay i'll start with the varigated/blue one first I think :clap
~~ * Barb *~~

WIP'S/ CAL'S

My Blog
Ravelry ID - barbn77

#7 dogymom

dogymom

• Villager
  • 2,427 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

Well, I'm in! I've already purchased the yarn to make one for my mom for Christmas. Did I read correctly that this is one giant granny square?:D
Have a Happy Crochet Kind of Day!
Debi

Debs Down Time

2006 Wish List Group 1: Auntbubbles

To err is human, to forgive canine......Unknown

#8 Melibean223

Melibean223

• Villager
  • 443 posts

• Joined 22-July 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

Well, I'm in! I've already purchased the yarn to make one for my mom for Christmas. Did I read correctly that this is one giant granny square?:D

yes you read correctly one giant square...i'm doing the rectangle pattern that is in ErinLindsey's blog...here is the link for anyone that might want/need it
http://iamtotallyobs...h-pictures.html

it is a great pattern with pictures to help you get started...i look forward to seeing pics of everones gahns I'll post pics of mine in a little bit when my daughter is done eating. So far I am 12 rows in to it and it is growing quickly.

~Melissa~

Mini Squares-

Stashbusting Score:

WTD +6

YTD +26

#9 yarnyviolet

yarnyviolet

• Villager
  • 378 posts

• Joined 27-May 05

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

I have never joined a CAL but why not. I have a pile of yarn to use up and I like granny afghans. I like this rectangle one better than the one I usually do it looks better in the middle.

Rachel
my blog

"A well-kept house is the sign of a misspent life"

WIPs:

Blushing granny in blue
Doll
Round Ripple
Vest for dd
Weave in ends on slippers

#10 dogymom

dogymom

• Villager
  • 2,427 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:29 PM

yes you read correctly one giant square...i'm doing the rectangle pattern that is in ErinLindsey's blog...here is the link for anyone that might want/need it

it is a great pattern with pictures to help you get started...i look forward to seeing pics of everones gahns I'll post pics of mine in a little bit when my daughter is done eating. So far I am 12 rows in to it and it is growing quickly.

12 rows, huh? You're scooting right along! Would love to see pics!!!!
Have a Happy Crochet Kind of Day!
Debi

Debs Down Time

2006 Wish List Group 1: Auntbubbles

To err is human, to forgive canine......Unknown

#11 Robyn

Robyn

• Villager
  • 614 posts

• Joined 20-September 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:30 PM

I have one of these in progress but it's currently at campus about 80 miles away. I might have to pull it out when I head back tomorrow.

Blessed be,

Robyn

Robyn's Crochet: http://robynscrochet.blogspot.com/

Wish List Group 9, post 18

#12 ankey

ankey

• Villager
  • 795 posts

• Joined 05-July 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:02 PM

I'm doing that same pattern as well but I'm definitely not as far along as you are... I also look forward to seeing everyone's progress in the upcoming days/weeks!

#13 Robyn

Robyn

• Villager
  • 614 posts

• Joined 20-September 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

Actually, I just found some baby yarn in one of the bedrooms here and I think I have enough for a small baby afghan so I'll start on that tonight to take a bit of a break from my other two afghans.

Blessed be,

Robyn

Robyn's Crochet: http://robynscrochet.blogspot.com/

Wish List Group 9, post 18

#14 barbn77

barbn77

• Villager
  • 1,090 posts

• Joined 27-January 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

TY for the link to the rectangle granny, I was going to do a square one but I like that one much better :yay
~~ * Barb *~~

WIP'S/ CAL'S

My Blog
Ravelry ID - barbn77

#15 librarycat513

librarycat513

• Villager
  • 759 posts

• Joined 11-September 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

Is it okay if I join later on in October? I have a giant granny in progress right now, but I have to get a couple of things out of the way before I can devote more than a cursory amount of time to my afghan again.
Insane to have so much yarn? I'd be insane WITHOUT it.
2007 Wish List Group 8 -#7
http://crochetville....65&postcount=59
Holiday Gift Exchange 2006
Hubby Swap
Accessories Swap
Scrap Swap
Bookmark Swap
Holiday Gift Exchange 2007

#16 Melibean223

Melibean223

• Villager
  • 443 posts

• Joined 22-July 06

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:18 PM

Barb, Your welcome, I was originally going to do a square one too till someone pointed me in the direction of the rectangle one.

Librarycat, feel free to join when ever you can =o) I just found out that I actually have 3 of these to make so I will be here for a while, and I have a feeling that my b/f is going to come up with more people in his family that would want an afgan for xmas. But hey I don't mind doing it as long as he keeps making it possible for me to buy lots and lots of yarn lol. I think I have been inspired on what yarn I want to use to make one for us to keep but that won't get made till after all the xmas pressies are done.

But as I promised here is a pic of what I've done so far

http://i66.photobuck.../Picture271.jpg
http://i66.photobuck.../Picture272.jpg

~Melissa~

Mini Squares-

Stashbusting Score:

WTD +6

YTD +26

#17 salos

salos

• Villager
  • 1,460 posts

• Joined 20-January 06

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:41 AM

I didn't know about this CAL, but I finished my first giant granny afghan this morning. Two day project... they are quick.

#18 glinster

glinster

• Villager
  • 83 posts

• Joined 04-August 06

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

I would like to join too. I am also working on a star blanket, but have cotton yarn that I would like to use for a square or rectangle one. The colors I have are blue, purple and green in different tones, so it will be either nice and colorful or very ugly:)
I always work on a lot of things at the same time so I don't get bored :hook

#19 ankey

ankey

• Villager
  • 795 posts

• Joined 05-July 06

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

wow salos, two days??? I'd have to not eat or sleep or do anything besides crochet and then I probably wouldn't even be half-way done with mine!

#20 Melibean223

Melibean223

• Villager
  • 443 posts

• Joined 22-July 06

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:27 PM

Salos I would love to see pics of your finished gahn if possible. And hey if you decide to do another one we all know a special someone that would want a gahn for xmas *wink wink hint hint* feel free to join us the more the merrier!

~Melissa~

Mini Squares-

Stashbusting Score:

WTD +6

YTD +26