• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 selyon

selyon

• Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 13-September 06

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

I just can't figure out what I am supposed to do. I have tried several things, but the length isn't right. Help?

Here is the stitch explanation from the pattern:
Start with a slip knot, ch 2, insert hook in 2nd ch from hook, draw up a loop, yo, draw through 1 loop, yo and draw through 2 loops – 1 single crochet with its own chain at bottom. Work next stitch under loops of that chain. Insert hook under 2 loops at bottom of the previous stitch, draw up a loop, yo and draw through 1 loop, yo and draw through 2 loops. Repeat for length of foundation. Note This stitch creates a foundation with more stretch than usual.

:think It just doesn't make sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The link to the pattern is:
http://cache.lionbra...mmedPoncho.html

#2 Aggie May

Aggie May

• Villager
  • 3,144 posts

• Joined 22-April 05

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

:cheer What you are doing is making a SC, then working into the left side of it to make the next SC, then working into the side of that etc. until you have as many SCs as you need.
If you cant work it out, just make a long CH and work as many SCs as you need onto it, then follow the pattern from there.
The method in the pattern is supposed to give a bit more flexibility to the edge of the crochet so make sure you do that first row of SCs a little looser than you would normally, maybe even use a size larger hook just for that row.
Hope this helps.
Colleen:hug

#3 snapkat

snapkat

• Validating
  • 125 posts

• Joined 05-September 05

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

Funny you should post this today, as I spent far too much time yesterday figuring this out! The explanation in my crochet book didn't help me, and even the web pages featuring step-by-step instructions with photos left me feeling confused.

What made it all clear to me is something in this thread:
http://www.crochetvi...ead.php?t=16637

Go there, and scroll down to the post made by Stitchinpick. I found her explanation to be clear and incredibly helpful. Thanks to Stitchinpick, I've got the thing conquered now. I think!
snapkat.ca (Last updated: January 2006.)

#4 Wendy79

Wendy79

• Villager
  • 209 posts

• Joined 18-May 06

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

I saw a video of this that helped... now I LOVE this foundation, because my least favorite part of crochet (even counting finishing ends!) is crocheting into a chain. What you're looking for is "double base chain" (though I've no doubt it goes by other names). I'll try to find that video again.