Photo

Joann Sensations "Angel Hair"....2 skeins, what to do...?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 isisra9

isisra9

• Villager
  • 15 posts

• Joined 03-April 06

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:47 PM

Any suggestions? This is the first "luxury" yarn i have bought myself. I'm usually a Caron, RH, Mainstays kinda gal but man this stuff, i touched it when I was in JoAnn's and I could not stop! I fell totally in love with it, and indulged myself and splurged as it was birthday money I was spending! LOL. However, with all the other supplies I bought that day, I could only afford 2 skeins. I don't want a scarf, considering maybe a shrug. What would you do with 2 skeins of this in beautiful blue?

http://www.joannfabr...7&source=search

any ideas, suggestions, or ideas for patterns that use a similar yarn, I would greatly appreciate. :-)

TIA

#2 jenuine226

jenuine226

• Villager
  • 231 posts

• Joined 15-July 05

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:13 PM

That yarn is really nice. Just beware, it is thicker than you think. I thought it was worsted weight until I started working with it, and realized it was bulkier than that. (BTW, it is terrible to frog, so if you must, be sure to pull the yarn SLOWLY. When you pull too quickly, all the fuzzy fibers wrap around each other and get stuck.)

I don't know if I'd make a shrug out of it, though, because of its fuzziness. It might pill or start to look really worn in "high traffic" areas like the underarms. Maybe a wrap or a shawl? You could try making a lacy Moebius wrap so you don't have to worry about it slipping down your shoulders all the time.
~~Jenny

It's a vicious cycle:
*I hide my yarn.
I forget where I've hidden my yarn.
I forget what kinds of yarn I have hidden away.
I buy more yarn.*
Repeat from * to *.

#3 annaht

annaht

• Validating
  • 195 posts

• Joined 16-January 06

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

I made an incredibly soft and warm scarf from it... I love it! I actually made it extra long, folded the edges up a bit and sewed the ends together to make pockets. Very warm scarf with warm pockets!!
"Ah, music! A magic above all we do here."
-Albus Dumbledore

Cro*Tique

#4 sewmom

sewmom

• Villager
  • 862 posts

• Joined 27-September 05

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:28 PM

I made my second scarf ever with it. It is one of the warmest I've made, although it can be a little bit itchy under its fuzziness (but I'm pretty sensitive).

I actually modified an existing pattern, alternative rows of DC and DC - Ch1, simply because there's not very much yarn on those skeins (120 yd.) and I didn't want to buy a third skein.

I agree with using a larger hook, and with the fact that it's hard to frog - being my second project ever, I frogged a lot!

Good luck with whatever you decide :hook
~ Mary Anne ~
RAOK List 3, post #26
2008 Stashbusting Game: WTD 0; YTD +32
2008 50 Book Challenge 50/50(completed the challenge!!)

#5 Shelleden

Shelleden

• Villager
  • 1,722 posts

• Joined 26-October 05

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

I have made this shawl with Angel Hair - it's warm, but not too bulky in size. You can make it with 2 skeins if you don't put the fringe on. It's one of my designs in the leaflet "Completely Cozy Wraps to Crochet". Sorry I don't have a pic of the Angel Hair one, these two are made with Homespun, but it's the same pattern. Goes fast & easy, too.

[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/Shelleden/Shawl.jpg[/img] [img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/Shelleden/MelissaShawlfrontviewHomespunNouvea.jpg[/img]
Shelle Cain

#6 Hello Again

Hello Again

• Villager
  • 111 posts

• Joined 10-February 06

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:22 AM

Using 2 skeins I made a baby blanket/lapghan for a friend of my brother's. No pattern, I just DC'd back & forth till I ran out of yarn LOL.

Its so soft!
**work expands to fit the time alotted**

#7 isisra9

isisra9

• Villager
  • 15 posts

• Joined 03-April 06

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

those are some great ideas. now adding to my WIM's lol....i need another one like a hole in the head but can't help myself !LOL
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde