• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 heartsmiles

heartsmiles
  • Villager
  • 29 posts

• Joined 06-January 06

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:40 AM

Does anyone know of any free patterns out there for painted doilies :think ...the ones done with regular sewing thread??? I know Annies Attic has a book with patterns but I'm trying to go the free route first :lol
Thanks in advance for any help :D

#2 RachelG

RachelG
  • Villager
  • 6,071 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:51 AM

I believe there are no free patterns for painted doilies.

However, I have been known to be wrong. ;)
Rachel

#3 smyz64

smyz64
  • Villager
  • 1,091 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:41 AM

I tried that route, also, but to no avail. Although reading the intro, you can do it with any doily pattern, you just have to decide colors and how many rounds you would do with the one color, etc.

#4 moonspinners

moonspinners
  • Villager
  • 2,772 posts

• Joined 04-June 05

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

For what it's worth, I saw the book for painted doilies in an A.C. Moore store yesterday. Very pretty! Maybe you can purchase the book when there's a sale.
Gleda

#5 The Shrone

The Shrone
  • Villager
  • 1,588 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:48 PM

The designer of the painted doilies is a member of C'Ville. Here is her introductory post. Her personal website lists some free patterns, but none of them are her famous painted ones.

I bought an issue of Crochet! Magazine 2003 that had a pattern in it for a painted doily. I even bought the thread, but haven't yet made it. That was three years ago! Eek!:eek

~ Lori

#6 Tampa Doll

Tampa Doll
  • Villager
  • 23,959 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:16 PM

It is true that you can do it wil any doily pattern. Alls you have to do is decide the number of colors you want to use, divide that by the number of rows and that will tell you how many rows per color.

You use three strands of thread per color. Now, two rows before the end of a color, you drop one strand of old color and add one strand of new color. Next row you drop another strand of old color and add another strand of new color. Next row you drop final strand of old color and add last strand of new color. This is how you get the even flow and it looks like they are blended.

Good luck and have fun.

I made a painted doily from the pattern book and someday I will make another that is not in the book.:hook

#7 goldi316

goldi316
  • Villager
  • 1,504 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:22 PM

I bought an issue of Crochet! Magazine 2003 that had a pattern in it for a painted doily. I even bought the thread, but haven't yet made it. That was three years ago! Eek!:eek

~ Lori

Are you talking about that awesome painted scarf pattern? :eek:c9 I haven't bought the thread yet, but that's definitely on my WIM list. It's gorgeous!

#8 heartsmiles

heartsmiles
  • Villager
  • 29 posts

• Joined 06-January 06

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:42 AM

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I'll probably go ahead and buy the book at some point. They are just so darn purdy...I MUST make one :lol

#9 Empress Busy Bee

Empress Busy Bee
  • Villager
  • 8,992 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:34 AM

They are! Thanks for bringing them up. I might have to buy the book and try it, too. :)