13 replies to this topic

#1 southwind

southwind
  • Villager
  • 101 posts

• Joined 07-October 05

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:35 AM

Hi,
Looking for free patterns of Saddle blankets and fly masks for horses. Anybody know where I can find some?

#2 southwind

southwind
  • Villager
  • 101 posts

• Joined 07-October 05

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:48 AM

anybody?ideas?:think

#3 crochetingfool

crochetingfool
  • Villager
  • 1,252 posts

• Joined 11-September 05

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:01 AM

I suppose you could go to a tackle store and get the size of a saddle blanket then just single crochet one. What a great idea. You could make all types of colors.

My father had 8 Palomino's and I never thought to crochet saddle blankets for him. He passed away in the 90's.

You'd do well at the Rodeo's. I use to barrel race as a young girl.

Linda Ü

#4 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:12 AM

Just remember that if you decide to crochet a saddle pad it should be done in either cotton or wool. You can burn the horses back using acrylic yarn. It holds the heat next to the horse's skin and can cause real problems.
It needs to be done in at least 2 strands of yarn and very tight stitches so it doesn't shift around under the saddle. I bought a machine knit one once because it was pretty and regretted it. It bunched up under the saddle and never laid right. Good luck if you decide to try this. You can find the dimensions you need in any tack catalog.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

The Threads to my heart are wrapped around a Hook
CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#5 LoriZubie

LoriZubie
  • Villager
  • 187 posts

• Joined 15-July 05

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:42 AM

Here is one on-line site that sells crochet saddle pattern kits.

http://www.zianet.co...sier/index.html

http://www.designsby...com/crochet.htm

Or you could get any blanket/afghan pattern you like and cut it down to 30 X 30" or your preferred size.
Lorraine

Ravelry

#6 mamaoso

mamaoso
  • Villager
  • 2,884 posts

• Joined 10-August 05

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:45 AM

http://www.horsedodads.com/crochet.htm.
Blog
May every stitch you knit or crochet bring you a little closer to that calm space in the center of your soul.
Earth Heart Designs

#7 southwind

southwind
  • Villager
  • 101 posts

• Joined 07-October 05

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:56 AM

Thank you all-I do have horses-actually train and breed Egyptian Arabian horses-was thinking of making saddle blankets-to go over pads-as in for show-decoration-maybe out of chenile-pretty, soft-shiny-they would never be recommended to actually lay on the horses back-simply go over say a felt pad-under the saddle. Here are my critters
http://www.southwindarabian.com

#8 LoriZubie

LoriZubie
  • Villager
  • 187 posts

• Joined 15-July 05

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:28 PM

Thank you all-I do have horses-actually train and breed Egyptian Arabian horses-was thinking of making saddle blankets-to go over pads-as in for show-decoration-maybe out of chenile-pretty, soft-shiny-they would never be recommended to actually lay on the horses back-simply go over say a felt pad-under the saddle. Here are my critters
http://www.southwindarabian.com

Believe me, I'm no expert on horses but yours are just gorgeous! So nice and shiny! Beautiful! :manyheart

Edited to say: Midnightson looks just like black beauty. :manyheart

Also, is it the Egyptian Arabian breed that gives the horse such an usually shaped head or am I completely off the mark? :think
Lorraine

Ravelry

#9 southwind

southwind
  • Villager
  • 101 posts

• Joined 07-October 05

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:59 PM

Hi,

Actually the arabian horse in general is noted for the lovely "dished" heads you see-for example in artwork-Egyptians are simply horses that are desentant from certain breeding programs9egypt, ect..) there are several Types of arabians, polish, russian, egyptian, domestic, crabbet.
When you see a lovely quarter horse or paint with what they call a baby doll head-that comes from arabian blood-a thoroughbred is a desendant from the arabian horse-most light breeds have arabian in them at some point in the pedigree.
Thank you for the compliments on my guys and girls! They are very people freindly-love kids, and very smart animals.

#10 Earth Angel

Earth Angel
  • Villager
  • 182 posts

• Joined 02-July 05

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:08 PM

I'm no help here at all, I just wanted to chime in and say that Monshara is soooo beautiful! All of them are, but she really stood out to me! I love horses - I wish I could afford a few acres of land so I could have a couple horses! That is my ultimate dream! Give them all hugs and kisses for me!

My blog: http://mahinagirl.bravejournal.com/

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

~Confucius

#11 southwind

southwind
  • Villager
  • 101 posts

• Joined 07-October 05

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:33 AM

Thank you-Monshara is a sweetie-she is currently heavy in foal to The Apostolos-soon I'll be foal watching-4 due this spring!

#12 crochetfun

crochetfun
  • Villager
  • 2,184 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:59 AM

Love your horses!:manyheart

My daughter used to ride. The Arabians we met were beautiful. One was quite a character.

I hope you get lots of pleasure out of yours. They are all gorgeous!

#13 kettel6

kettel6
  • Villager
  • 11 posts

• Joined 13-September 05

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:55 AM

Okay this is something that I have thought about doing for my dad and grandpa because they have horses and mules that they ride. My idea was that the blankets actually be used and I had the idea of using wool and then felting it. Would that possibly work? In order to make a 30x30 blanket how much bigger do you think I should make it to allow for shrinkage during felting?

#14 diamond

diamond
  • Villager
  • 4,694 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:12 AM

Saw this on another forum and remembered someone was asking about these here. You can order it or just use the picture as a pattern. It appears simple enough. Horse Fly Mask
~ Diamond aka Cheryl ~
~ My avatar/model is my Shih Tzu, DustMop aka Dusty ~