• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 corachet

corachet

• Villager
  • 14 posts

• Joined 12-July 05

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:52 AM

What is the best stitch or pattern to show off variegated yarn? tips or ideas?
Susan B.:think

#2 yarncat

yarncat

• Villager
  • 19,516 posts

• Joined 02-July 05

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:19 AM

I make lapghans in dc using multicolor yarn.Dye lots don't matter.

[img]http://www.yarncat.com/ShadedBrownsLapghan.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.yarncat.com/ReefBlueDDlap.jpg[/img]

#3 faithpa76

faithpa76

• Villager
  • 6,723 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:46 AM

I would stick with simpler stitches (sc, hdc, dc) - almost any stitch will show off a variegated yarn, but the stitch will not be so visible (with some you will almost not be able to see it). It tends to dominate whatever item you put it on. That's JMO, though, lol.

Faith ~ The Crocheting Cook

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~ Elizabeth Stone

#4 jacqui

jacqui

• Emigrated from the Village
  • 1,036 posts

• Joined 14-October 05

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:43 AM

I use plain stitches to show off variegated yarn and i love to mix and match different colours randomly.I make afghans,shawls,scarves anything i love colour and have a hard time making up my mind. happy crocheting! Jacqui

#5 SaxDragon

SaxDragon

• Villager
  • 649 posts

• Joined 24-July 05

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:07 AM

For me, it depends on whether the varigated/ombre segments or short or long. Short ones get single crochet, often in a ripple/chevron wityh a complimentary solid. Long ones get double crochet, often in a granny or v-stitch, sometimes with complimentary colors, sometimes not.

#6 Sabra

Sabra

• Villager
  • 511 posts

• Joined 13-April 05

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:53 AM

Another vote for simple stitches here. IMO, either you want the yarn to stand out, or the pattern to stand out, not both. To me, multicoloured yarns make a lot of patterns hard to see from a distance--even a simple shell--so I'd rather do a very simple stitch so there's nothing for the yarn to compete with. I think the fanciest I'd personally get would be, as the PP said, a ripple stitch with a complementary solid color.
Sabra Crochets <--There's actually stuff there now!
Sabra's Patterns <--New blog.

PLEASE do not PM me here; I'm trying to get better about visiting but sometimes months do pass. If you have a question you need answered before you die of old age, please e-mail me through my profile.