• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Amy

Amy

• Administrator
  • 9,866 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

DEADLINE: This thread will be closed at 11:00 AM eastern time on Friday, February 7, the beginning of the Opening Ceremonies. As long as you post your information before the thread is closed, you'll be able to enter the Games!

After reading the Rules and General Information, if you want to participate in the 2014 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece, please post a reply in this thread with the following information. You must create one post for each project you wish to enter. Remember, each project may only be entered for one team.

1. Details About Your Project:

You may include a link to the pattern or information about where it was published, yarn you're using, and anything else you'd like to share.

2. Why This Project Is a Challenge:

3. Team:

4. Completion Status (see Rules):

5. Date and Time You Finish:

Please keep posts in this thread limited to the information requested above. Other posts will be removed to make it easier for us to keep track of Athletes

• Jean Lucca likes this

Amy Shelton
Crochetville Co-Owner and Social Media Director

Crochetville Blog | Free Crochet Pattern Directory | Facebook Page | Twitter | Pinterest

#2 mamak57

mamak57

• Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 20-January 14

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

hey ya'll!  For the Crolympics I am going to attempt an afghan with black and red yarn, and will be using at least one new to me stitch.  Havent found the pattern yet, but will letcha know when I do.  This is a challenge to me since arthritis makes working with my hands difficult and limiting.  This is such an awesome idea!

Edited by mamak57, 05 February 2014 - 06:29 PM.

• Yvette Gonzalez-Valdes likes this

#3 Yvette Gonzalez-Valdes

Yvette Gonzalez-Valdes

• Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 20-January 14

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

I have never done anything like this, but will be doing something representing the colors of the US I am sure.  Will decide and post what I will be making.

• mamak57 likes this

#4 Hooker4Life

Hooker4Life

• Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 20-January 14

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

1. Details About Your Project:  I'm thinking about making a gigantic Cthulhu plush (Pattern found here: http://ruralrebellio...riday-cthulhu/#) with anywhere from four to six strands of worsted weight yarn.

2. Why This Project Is a Challenge:  I am in college, so my time is very limited.  Also, if I end up doing the Cthulhu, I will be using my S hook, which I have never before ventured to use.
  3. Team: None

4. Completion Status (see Rules):  Officially Finished!!

5. Date and Time You Finish:  2230 21.February.2014

P.S. I ended up using 10 strands of yarn for this project... :)

The big guy in the picture was the main project!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1924890_656009254445142_1295987457_n.jpg

Edited by Hooker4Life, 21 February 2014 - 09:42 PM.

• crabby rat, VikingRunnerGirl and mamak57 like this

#5 cjjohn

cjjohn

• Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 20-January 14

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

IF I decide to join this challenge (I need to allocate time for it), I will be attempting a project in RAINBOW COLORS, for sure! Something like this rainbow umbrella really interests me. I will return and edit this post with project details as we go.

Attached Thumbnails

• rainbowumbrella.jpg

• Shannart, VikingRunnerGirl and mamak57 like this

#6 Benny1962

Benny1962

• Villager
  • 5 posts

• Joined 20-January 14

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

1. Details About Your Project: Sampler Throw @ Redheart using a I - 5.5 mm hook

2. Why this project is a challenge: I work fulltime as a welding inspector and just began crocheting 3 months ago for relaxation. This will be a challenge since I have never done these stiches before.

3.Team: None

4. Completion status: Not started

5. Date and time finished:

Attached Thumbnails

• images.jpg

• mamak57 likes this

#7 Amy

Amy

• Administrator
  • 9,866 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

Please be sure you only post photos of your own projects. Due to copyright laws, you cannot upload photos that you have found in other places on the internet.

If you've included a photo in your post that isn't your own, please edit the post and remove the photo. Thanks for helping us make sure we're respecting and following copyright law. :)

Amy Shelton
Crochetville Co-Owner and Social Media Director

Crochetville Blog | Free Crochet Pattern Directory | Facebook Page | Twitter | Pinterest

#8 Gingerbread Girl

Gingerbread Girl

• Villager
  • 258 posts

• Joined 30-December 10

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

I'm in! I don't know what project I will do yet though. I'm going to browse my stash of patterns and see what I can come up with, and will edit this post once I sort out the details! =) 

Edited to add my project details: 

Details About Your Project: I am going to be making the Ruffled Doily (pattern located here: Ruffled Doily). I'm going to be using ivory size 10 cotton thread and a size 9 steel hook.

Why This Project Is a Challenge: As much as I love doilies, I do not make them often. I have a very, very bad habit of starting them and not finishing them. I work more slowly with the tiny steel hooks and thread than when I use larger hooks and yarn, so they take me a long time and I tend to get bored with them, thus leaving them unfinished/taking a very long time to complete them. The doilies I have made in the past (all significantly smaller than this one, which the pattern states a finished size of 21 inches across) have taken me a month or more to complete. So to finish a doily - especially a larger one - within the time frame of the Games will be a big challenge for me!

Team: None

Completion Status (see Rules): Finished

Date and Time You Finish: February 17th @ 3pm

Edited by Gingerbread Girl, 17 February 2014 - 02:19 PM.

Knitter, crochether, photographer, beauty blogger, bookworm, pet mom

Google +
Pinterest
My Recipes

lilshutterbug on Ravelry

#9 kiwikitti

kiwikitti

• Villager
  • 587 posts

• Joined 11-November 06

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

I'll join. The project I want to make is a bedspread inspired by either wild flowers or cherry blossoms specifically. The base is going to be a mesh design of 3ch and then 5dc then a row or two of sc. On top of this I'm going to sew on the flowers. For the wildflowers one, I'll use either dark brown or black for the base and then lots of random colors for the flowers along with a vine and leaves. For the cherry blossom I want to do a cream base with the brown branch and then the cherry blossoms sewn on it. They're the same blanket basically but I just have to decide on the colors. This will be a challenge because I am a sahm of a 2 year old and a 2 month old, as well as watching another friends 2 year old and being in online college full time for my computer major.
  • VikingRunnerGirl likes this

50 book challenge: 30/50

Scrapbusting Cal: WTD: +0 / YTD: -28

Any Afghan Cal: +0

Current WIPS: basket-weave baby blanket, double strand giant granny square afghan, scrap granny square bedspread, Tunisian 10-stitch blanket

#10 Cindy Freemon

Cindy Freemon

• Villager
  • 6 posts

• Joined 21-January 14

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

I will be joining the Crochet Games.  I will be making an Entrelac Afghan using the Tunisian Crochet Entrelac Throw pattern from Lion Brand, their pattern number L20319.  I will be using Red Heart yarn in the following colors:  Ranch Red, Buff, Frosty Green, Medium Thyme, Carrot, Aran, Coffee and Lemon.  This will be a challenge to me  because I have never done Entrelac.  I promise that I will not review the technique prior to the beginning date and time.  There is no way for me to hit the ground running.

#11 azmommy

azmommy

• Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 23-January 14

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

This sounds like a lot of fun!! I plan making a new project bag. This is a challenge because I have a 3 year old who keeps me busy and I have neck/shoulder issues that limit the amount of time I can work on it.

#12 KarenLuvsKrochet

KarenLuvsKrochet

• Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 23-January 14

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

Can't wait to get started!!!

Details about your project:

I'll be making the As-We-Go Stripey Blanker by Hannah David at http://notyouraveragecrochet.com in a throw size so I can enjoy it while making other lovely crocheted things :manyheart

Why this project is a challenge:

I've never done a number of the stitches before so it has elements that will be new to me.

Team:

None

Completion Status (see rules):

Planning in progress

Date and Time you finish:

N/A

Edited by KarenLuvsKrochet, 03 February 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#13 dilyca2006

dilyca2006

• Villager
  • 2,303 posts

• Joined 28-December 06

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

I'm in.  I have yarn and pattern for the broomstick lace cardi pattern by Jennifer Hanson.  The reason it will be a challenge for me is...I have not done broomstick lace in years.  And, I have tendinitis in my thumbs which makes doing crochet of any type a challenge these days. 

Diane in IA
2011 stashbusting cal....WTD +2....YTD +52(04/19/11)
2010 stashbusting cal.. WTD +3 YTD -318 (12/24/10)
2009 stashbusting Cal...WTD -28 YTD -27(12/31/09)

#14 Braxxi

Braxxi

• Villager
  • 1,292 posts

• Joined 02-August 08

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

I am definitely in again this year! I'm not sure what I'll be making yet though. Probably an afghan, just have to decide which kit to make. LOL! 

Edit to add details:

I have decided to make the "Mitered Brick Throw" from page 102 of the Crochet Red book. I will be making it with green yarns from my stash - red isn't really my thing. This will be a challenge for me because I'm not good at working afghans using single crochet. I tend to get bored with them and not finish them. Can't wait to get started!

Edited by Braxxi, 01 February 2014 - 11:12 AM.

2015 -->

Stashbusting YTDs --> (2009 +301) (2010 -79) (2011 -473) (2012 -620) (2013 -692) (2014 -430) (2015 -61)

Any Afghan CAL --> (2012 ~ 22) (2013 ~ 33) (2014 ~ 28) (2015 ~ 1)

50 Book Challenge --> (2012 ~ 64/50) (2013 ~ 24/50) (2014 ~ 34/50) (2015 ~ 52/50)

Crochet Games of Ancient Greece --> (2008 ~ Gold) (2012 ~ Gold) (2014 ~ Gold)

Total Projects --> (2010 ~ 82/84) (2011 ~ 91/94) (2012 ~ 58/60) (2013 ~ 63/69) (2014 ~ 55/54)

Crochet Photos --> http://s330.photobuc.../?sort=4&page=0

#15 Bailey4

Bailey4

• Villager
  • 5,230 posts

• Joined 22-December 10

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Details About Your Project: 18" Doll Coat

Why This Project Is a Challenge:  More pieces to put together and lots of buttons.  Not one of my strengths

Team: No team

Completion Status (see Rules): Gold Completed 100%

Date and Time You Finish: February 18, 2014 10:45PM

IMG_2103.JPG

I got a whole box of crochet food done for a donation during the Summer Olympics.  It was very motivating  I'm looking forward to tackling a project I've put off for several years because it always seemed to hard and time consuming.

Edited by Bailey4, 21 February 2014 - 10:14 AM.

• VikingRunnerGirl likes this

My Blog: Craft Attic Resources

Proud Bag Lady #87 Lilacs

Wishlist 2016

Book Challenge 2016 #305 2015 #304 2014 #235 2013 #398 2016 WTD +2 YTD +6 2015 +15 2014 -121 2013 YTD +2

Dishcloth Swap 2015, Ornament Swap 2014, Favorite Color Swap 2014, Amigurumi Swap 2014, Magic Ball Swap 2014, Dishcloth Swap 2014, Amigurumi Swap 2013, Dishcloth Swap 2012, Amigurumi Swap 2012, Starts With A Swap 2012, Notion Swap 2012, Holiday Gift Exchange 2011, Favorite Color Swap 2011, Kit Swap 2011

#16 pennyi

pennyi

• Villager
  • 8 posts

• Joined 11-November 11

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

Possibly a shawl for donation to the local cancer center

2. Why This Project Is a Challenge:  will be using a different type of stitch that I haven't used before and it will be my own design.

3. Team:  none

4. Completion Status (see Rules): tba

5. Date and Time You Finish: tba

#17 Jean Lucca

Jean Lucca

• Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 23-January 14

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

DEADLINE: This thread will be closed at 11:00 AM eastern time on Friday, February 7, the beginning of the Opening Ceremonies. As long as you post your information before the thread is closed, you'll be able to enter the Games!

After reading the Rules and General Information, if you want to participate in the 2014 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece, please post a reply in this thread with the following information. You must create one post for each project you wish to enter. Remember, each project may only be entered for one team.

You may include a link to the pattern or information about where it was published, yarn you're using, and anything else you'd like to share. 

2. Why This Project Is a Challenge:

3. Team:

4. Completion Status (see Rules):

5. Date and Time You Finish:

Please keep posts in this thread limited to the information requested above. Other posts will be removed to make it easier for us to keep track of Athletes

#18 Jean Lucca

Jean Lucca

• Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 23-January 14

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

I am not certain as yet what project I am going to try....but you can be certain it will be fun.....I will keep you posted...Thank you for letting me join....

#19 Lisa G

Lisa G

• Villager
  • 5 posts

• Joined 23-January 14

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

I'm so excited to do this challenge!  Thanks for the fun game!

I am doing the Stars & Stripes Ripple Throw from Red Heart.  Thought it was appropriate.  :)

I picked this as I feel like I'm a pretty experienced crocheter, so it is one of the few "Experienced" afghan patterns on their site.  I will be using the yarn that they suggest in the pattern.

Details About Your Project: Stars & Stripes Ripple Throw

Why This Project Is a Challenge:  Doing an afghan in two weeks is a lot along with it being "Experienced". Also have two young children at home as well as had put our home up for sale in the beginning of the challenge!

Team: No team

Completion Status (see Rules): I'm going to say I got an Honorable Mention, but I think I only got about 75% done. :( I was really struggling to finish it. My time just flew by and it was incredibly hard for me to do which kind of surprised me. I really had thought it would get done. :(

Date and Time You Finish: Unfinished as of deadline. :(

Edited by Lisa G, 23 February 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#20 Snuggamonkey

Snuggamonkey

• Villager
  • 1 posts

• Joined 25-January 14

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

Details About Your Project:http://www.repeatcra...spired-hat.html I will be using redheart Aran yarn to create a cabbage patch baby hat.

Why This Project Is a Challenge:I will have to learn the loop stitch and often struggle with hats.

Team:none

Completion Status (see Rules):not yet started

Date and Time You Finish: