• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 starryblu

starryblu

• Villager
  • 54 posts

• Joined 27-July 11

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

has anyone seen the fabric potato zapper wrappers? i came across a pattern at JoAnn's and thought they were really cute. so i got to wondering...could they be crocheted? out of cotton yarn? and can cotton yarn be microwaved?

it was just a thought...might be something fun to make. i can't find a pattern searching online. has anyone seen/tried such a thing? i could probably figure out a pattern on my own. or maybe one of the soap scrubber bags would be a good starting point?

i'm gonna think on it. i made several of the little soap bags a while back. they are just about the right size. 

i always wrap a potato i'm going to microwave in a wet paper towel....so couldn't you do the same with a little crocheted cotton bag that's been dampened? i've always thought the wet paper towel makes them more moist.

#2 Granny Square

Granny Square

• Villager
  • 6,665 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'd never seen them, here's a link.  http://www.joann.com...er/prod1510001/

Seems like a lot of trouble; what if you just make a cotton washcloth, it could serve multiple purposes.  You could just make a rectangle, fold partway & sew or crochet the sides together if you wanted a pocket with flap.

Don't make it out of acrylic!  It would not take the heat and would probably emit nasty fumes, might even mess up the microwave.

• crystalkd likes this

Granny Square

#3 Gingerbread Girl

Gingerbread Girl

• Villager
  • 258 posts

• Joined 30-December 10

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

I actually have one of the fabric ones, it's styled a bit differently than the JoAnn's project. I bought it at the local farm market. I love it, as it's quite versatile. I use it to reheat rolls, muffins, and breads and to heat up flour tortillas, for defrosting frozen bread dough etc. I don't recall ever seeing a crocheted version but provided you used 100% cotton yarn, I can't see why it wouldn't work. I say go for it.  :D

Knitter, crochether, photographer, beauty blogger, bookworm, pet mom

Google +
Pinterest
My Recipes

lilshutterbug on Ravelry

#4 Magister

Magister

• Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 20-August 13

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Hello,

Yes I have made a few of these and yes they work really well. I had thought about this after doing some potatoes in a paper wrapper. Although this worked ok the paper sometimes stuck to the potato making it a bit hard to remove and from a hot potato too. Not to mention going through your paper towels.

So the first two I made were out of a bamboo yarn but I really wanted to be able to use cotton because I found the bamboo too expensive even though it was the ideal thickness. I have had (I am sure I'd find it online) a bit of difficulty in finding a nice thick cotton to use but I did find a cotton/acrylic blend. I did make one bag out of this but I would prefer not to use anything other than 100% cotton. The cotton blend bag still worked very nicely though. I made my bags in the round so that there was no sewing seams and included a draw string at the top. I made these bags to fit one potato at a time and just used two bags if I wanted to bake two at a time. I could write a pattern for it if anyone would like to try this:-)

#5 crystalkd

crystalkd

• Villager
  • 7 posts

• Joined 19-August 13

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

Hello,

Yes I have made a few of these and yes they work really well. I had thought about this after doing some potatoes in a paper wrapper. Although this worked ok the paper sometimes stuck to the potato making it a bit hard to remove and from a hot potato too. Not to mention going through your paper towels.

So the first two I made were out of a bamboo yarn but I really wanted to be able to use cotton because I found the bamboo too expensive even though it was the ideal thickness. I have had (I am sure I'd find it online) a bit of difficulty in finding a nice thick cotton to use but I did find a cotton/acrylic blend. I did make one bag out of this but I would prefer not to use anything other than 100% cotton. The cotton blend bag still worked very nicely though. I made my bags in the round so that there was no sewing seams and included a draw string at the top. I made these bags to fit one potato at a time and just used two bags if I wanted to bake two at a time. I could write a pattern for it if anyone would like to try this:-)

I'd actually thought this when I saw the question. It never occurred to me to do this. Do you wet the bag first or just stick it in the microwave as is? Maybe I know have an idea for cotton yarn I can't seem to figure out what to do with! 

#6 Granny Square

Granny Square

• Villager
  • 6,665 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

Something I just thought of, and would depend on your microwave.  Mine has a setting for baked potato, which works great (with a naked potato), I think it may 'sense' the moisture.   The bag may interfere with the sensor if you have one.  I know (the hard way) my microwave doesn't work at all with 'vegetable' setting if I cover the container.  I mean, it works, but it doesn't stop when it's supposed to.

Edited by Granny Square, 21 August 2013 - 01:44 PM.

Granny Square

#7 Magister

Magister

• Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 20-August 13

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'd actually thought this when I saw the question. It never occurred to me to do this. Do you wet the bag first or just stick it in the microwave as is? Maybe I know have an idea for cotton yarn I can't seem to figure out what to do with! 

I don't wet the bag but I did forget to say to pierce the potato(es) with a fork several times first. I also make sure that the potato skin is clean and I don't know if it makes any difference but I wet the potato and then put it in the bag. Cook it for about 6 mins on high then turn it over and cook for about 5 mins on high. This seems to work very well.