Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

March Square Swap

square swap march aran irish

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 tiffer93

tiffer93
  • Villager
  • 4,920 posts

• Joined 17-February 08

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Welcome to the March Square Swap of 2013, Crochetville's 9-month long celebration of crocheted square love!
General Swap Requirements: Each swapper is required to send **ONLY** one Aran or Irish square (size as specified by your partner).

Swap Dates: This swap starts 1 March 2013 and ends 31 March 2013. All packages must be received by the ending date, so the mailing deadline for this exchange is  25 March 2013. All packages MUST be in the mail by 31 March 2013 (mailing deadline).

Remember: Crochetville admin limits Villagers to two swaps at one time. If you are already signed up for two swaps, one must be completed before the March Square Swap starts for you to be eligible to swap. See the Swap Guidelines. A swap will count as completed if you have mailed your final package and delivery confirmation information shows your package has been received OR your swap partner has posted a thank-you in the swap thread.

GUIDELINES: 

Here are the rules. Please read them thoroughly before signing up. 

1. Please submit a survey if you want to participate in this exchange. (See second post for Survey information.)Surveys should be emailed to the swap coordinator, tiffer93, at tiffer93 AT gmail DOT com. You will receive a confirmation email when your survey is received, and your username will be added to the list of swappers posted below. Surveys can be submitted until 5 p.m. EST (New York City) on 28 February 2013.

2. It is not required that you answer all the questions on the survey (except for name, address, and Crochetville nickname), but it is a good way for your partner to know your other preferences: favorite color, allergies, etc. If you have been in a recent swap, you may want to let the hostess know who your swap partner was, so you are not accidentally teamed again (this has happened).

3. By submitting a swap survey, you agree to follow all Swap Guidelines and general forum guidelines. Please note—there is now a new requirement re: digital patterns.

4. Partner assignments will be e-mailed to you by 1 March 2013. Packages must be POSTMARKED BY 25 March 2013. **Proof of shipping is required whenever it is available (see Swap Guidelines for details), and the delivery confirmation number must be emailed or PM'd to the swap coordinator.** All packages should be received by the end of the swap on 31 March 2013.

5. E-mail the coordinator, tiffer93, at tiffer93 AT gmail DOT com, when you receive your partner information at the start of the swap, and when you send and receive your exchange item(s) so that she can keep record of who sent and received. This is in addition to posting to the swap thread that you mailed or received your assigned partner and your packages. Lots of messages are posted to the swap thread daily. Please don’t make the swap coordinator go through all those messages to see if you sent/received your package!!! Remember, these emails are now required of all Crochetville swappers. Failure to do so will result in the accumulation of reputation points.

6. Please thank your partner for their thoughtfulness when you receive your package. It will make his or her day. **Thank-you’s MUST be posted on the swap thread, but you can post links to your blog for photos, etc., if you choose. Thank-you’s are REQUIRED!!**Please also thank your partner personally with a private email, as well as a post to the swap thread. The private thank-you lets your partner know that their package has been received, and the public thank-you lets the other swappers know what you received and adds to everyone’s enjoyment of the exchange. Both public and private thank-you’s are required. 

7. Make sure your postage and receiver's address are correct before mailing. Mark your package with Crochetville Square Swap. Do not forget that delivery confirmation (or other proof of shipping) is required whenever it is available, and the delivery confirmation must be emailed to the swap coordinator. This provides proof of mailing in case your package is lost during transit. 

8. If you have a problem with your partner or an item you receive, please DO NOT post complaints to the swap board. Please PM or email the swap coordinator privately. 

9. If your package is not postmarked by the Mailing Deadline of 25 March 2013, you will be subject to the consequences listed in the Swap Guidelines. Please contact the swap coordinator BEFORE the mailing deadline passes if there is a problem. 

10. Since we are an international group, everyone is more than welcome to participate. That means that your exchange partner may live across the world and packages may take longer to arrive and cost more to ship. Keep this in mind when mailing items. 

11. Most importantly, have fun! Happy Swapping!! 

PRIVACY INFORMATION:

The information you provide on your survey is provided to assigned swap partners. Information may also be provided to the Swap Coordinator Leader (DesertCrocheter) and Crochetville administration (AmyS and Donna) for the purposes of swap coordination only. With prior permission, survey information may also be shared with members sending “Angel” replacement packages, if necessary.

IMPORTANT DATES:

February 28, 2013: survey deadline
March 25, 2013: mailing deadline
March 31, 2013: end of swap

FINAL REMINDERS!!! SWAPPER RESPONSIBILITIES:

• Email Tiffany when you get your partner assignment (posting in thread isn’t sufficient)

• Email Tiffany the Delivery Confirmation number of your package (posting in thread isn’t sufficient)

• Thank your partner!

Swappers

Abigail1280

AngelFairy

Aussie_Paula

crsheridan

FrLopLady

kittyloverdeb

tambob6259

Edited by tiffer93, 28 February 2013 - 08:12 AM.

*~* Tiffany *~*

*~* Treasures & Trinkets by Tiffany *~*

*~* Facebook & Ravelry as tiffer93 *~*

*~* 2014 Hostess: Favorite Color,Stitch Marker *~*

*~* Proud Bag Lady #75 ~ 'Diamond Bright' June 2012 *~*

#2 tiffer93

tiffer93
  • Villager
  • 4,920 posts

• Joined 17-February 08

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

GRANNY SQUARE SWAP

Send a square, get a square!

Welcome to the our almost year-long granny square swap! For the next nine months, we’ll be exchanging one granny square a month to help jump start our Crochetville friendship afghans. But granny squares have so many other uses—scarves, tote bags, pillows, even hot pads and plant doilies. 

Each month you will receive specific directions about what kind of granny square to make (it may be a specific color or incorporate a specific theme into the pattern name—each month is different). You will sign up individually for each month, so if one month’s theme or color doesn’t appeal to you, you can just skip it and rejoin us another month. 

And, please, no extra goodies. Just like the KISS exchanges, all you need to send is your granny square and crochet love. 

I hope at the end of the year, we’ll share photos of any completed projects that use these granny squares to inspire all of us. Crochetville members are so talented and creative—I’m sure we’ll see some gorgeous afghans and finished items.

MARCH SQUARE SWAP SURVEY

March Square Swap: Aran or Irish themed (any square pattern, made in Aran or green/white combinations, shamrocks, etc)

What is your full name (for mailing purposes only), and C'ville nickname?

Email address for swap information?

What is your mailing address?? 

Can you send to a foreign partner?

Do you have any allergies? (Smoke, certain scents, food items, cats/dogs, etc)? 

Do you, or anyone in your household, smoke? 

Do you mind swapping with a smoker?

Do you have cats/dogs or other pets?

Do you have any fiber allergies (wool, mohair, etc)?

Do you have any fiber preferences? Type or brand?

What are your favorite colors? 

Are there any colors you don't like?

I prefer: _____ 12-inch square _____ 8-inch square _____ 7-inch square _____ 6-inch square

I prefer: _____ cotton yarn _____ wool ______ acrylic yarn

I ___do _____do not like granny squares with a 3-D flower in the center

Any other square guidelines you’d like to share with your partner? For example, are you making different colored squares from the same pattern for your afghan, and would prefer that pattern? 

Anything you want the swap hostess to know? (This information is removed before survey information is sent to your partner. It's kept private and confidential). E.g., a recent swap partner so you’re not partnered again, if someone is your relative, etc.

Have you read all of the swap rules, both for this specific swap and the general swap guidelines? And do you agree to follow these rules?

Are you currently participating in 2 swaps at this time? __________________

*~* Tiffany *~*

#3 DesertCrocheter

DesertCrocheter
  • Villager
  • 7,037 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Here are some examples of the kind of square we'll be exchanging this month:  March 12-inch Aran Square or Irish Pride Square. Or, pick your favorite square and make it in green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, when we're all Irish.

Patty

#4 kittyloverdeb

kittyloverdeb
  • Villager
  • 6,848 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Getting ready to send my survey in! Can the squares be any color or do they need to be the "aran" color?

Deb
Bag Lady #52 Miss Liberty 2010

#5 DesertCrocheter

DesertCrocheter
  • Villager
  • 7,037 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Well, I'd say it can be either green (any shade) and any pattern, or any pattern with Irish or Aran in the name but in any color. How's that for confusing?  We're trying to celebrate St. Patty's day with this square.

#6 kittyloverdeb

kittyloverdeb
  • Villager
  • 6,848 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I went back up and read the first post and it looks like it needs to be in Aran or Green/White combo. 

Deb

#7 tiffer93

tiffer93
  • Villager
  • 4,920 posts

• Joined 17-February 08

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Deb, I am not sure if the Aran color is a staple, as many people interpret this differently. Generally speaking I believe that it is an off white color, and the square is made entirely from that single color. For the St. Patrick's day (Irish) themed square, you could use a solid green, a solid white, or a combination of the two with perhaps a shamrock in the center? I could be wrong! 

*~* Tiffany *~*

#8 DesertCrocheter

DesertCrocheter
  • Villager
  • 7,037 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Actually, aran is a yarn weight, but is often used by modern marketers as a color designation: see here. Traditionally used for the lovely thick sweaters we think of when we think of those great old cabled knit sweaters, which served as part of the inspiration for a St. Patrick's Day square theme for March. The March Aran Square is a particular pattern I linked to above and one I thought perfectly suited for this month.

As I posted above, any color green yarn in any pattern or any pattern with Irish or shamrock or any other St-Pat's-Day allusion in its title is fair game for this month's square. I made a shamrock square blanket years ago that I love.

#9 tambob6259

tambob6259
  • Villager
  • 66 posts

• Joined 26-January 13

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

I really like that shamrock square blanket pattern!

I just sent in my survey - can't wait to get started. :)

-Tammy

#10 crsheridan

crsheridan
  • Villager
  • 647 posts

• Joined 19-July 12

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

Sending in my survey now!  :)

#11 Abigail1280

Abigail1280
  • Villager
  • 394 posts

• Joined 30-October 11

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Just sent in my survey!

Kim - Mom to 3 pugs
Abigail1280 on Ravelry
My Flikr
Friendship Ghan - 6" ww squares, any color - 54 received so far, Thank you!!

2013 Afghans - 1 Completed so far
2012 Afghans - 8 Completed.
2011 Afghans - 2 Completed.

#12 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,862 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

sent mine in!

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#13 AngelFairy

AngelFairy
  • Villager
  • 511 posts

• Joined 13-April 05

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

Sent my survey in.

WISH LIST

Swaps I'm in for

CROCHET- ALONGS
2013 Stashbusting CAL:

Ending 03/30/2013 WTD+5

Month of March YTD+71

#14 tiffer93

tiffer93
  • Villager
  • 4,920 posts

• Joined 17-February 08

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Today is the last day of sign-ups, so I'll be posting partners either tonight or first thing in the morning. :) 

*~* Tiffany *~*

#15 Aussie_Paula

Aussie_Paula
  • Villager
  • 509 posts

• Joined 18-February 09

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Can't wait to get started!
Friendship-ghan squares CAL - 12",any colour,prefer solid patterns - 22/30
New friend wishlist
MY BLOG: Contented Crochet

#16 tiffer93

tiffer93
  • Villager
  • 4,920 posts

• Joined 17-February 08

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

I sent out partner emails.. so ladies be checking those inboxes! Please let me know if you received your partners information :) Have lots of square making fun! 

*~* Tiffany *~*

#17 crsheridan

crsheridan
  • Villager
  • 647 posts

• Joined 19-July 12

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

I got my partner(s)' info!  I can't wait to get started on FrLopLady's square!!!  :)  I am really enjoying these square swaps.

Edited by crsheridan, 01 March 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#18 Aussie_Paula

Aussie_Paula
  • Villager
  • 509 posts

• Joined 18-February 09

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Got my partner info. Abigail1280, you have mail. :-)
Friendship-ghan squares CAL - 12",any colour,prefer solid patterns - 22/30
New friend wishlist
MY BLOG: Contented Crochet

#19 Abigail1280

Abigail1280
  • Villager
  • 394 posts

• Joined 30-October 11

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

I got mine too.  I will respond to you shortly!

Kim - Mom to 3 pugs
Abigail1280 on Ravelry
My Flikr
Friendship Ghan - 6" ww squares, any color - 54 received so far, Thank you!!

2013 Afghans - 1 Completed so far
2012 Afghans - 8 Completed.
2011 Afghans - 2 Completed.

#20 kittyloverdeb

kittyloverdeb
  • Villager
  • 6,848 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Got mine too and sent her an email a little while ago!

Deb

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: square, swap, march, aran, irish