Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

what does "DK" weight mean?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cabanird

cabanird
  • Villager
  • 87 posts

• Joined 20-June 05

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:45 PM

i see that on some yarns it says

"DK"

what does this mean?

thanks!

#2 natalie058

natalie058
  • Villager
  • 1,817 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:52 PM

Double knitting = DK.

Not a common weight for US produced yarns - found overseas more. It's lighter than worsted and thicker than baby, I believe.

#3 Dejhia

Dejhia
  • Villager
  • 596 posts

• Joined 05-September 05

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:53 AM

Double knitting = DK.

Not a common weight for US produced yarns - found overseas more. It's lighter than worsted and thicker than baby, I believe.

I'm glad you know what it stands for. I didn't know that. And you are right, it's between a worsted and a sport weight. My mother once described it to me as a very light worsted. I've been trying to get my hands on some for a while now 'cuase I have some great patterns using it. But, the only DK weight I can find is out of my price range....

#4 katysam

katysam
  • Villager
  • 106 posts

• Joined 10-August 05

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:03 AM

I've been wondering about this too. The book Crochet for Tots uses "Plymouth Wildflower DK" yarn for all of the projects, and there is one I'm wanting to do. Patterworks (www.patternworks.com) sells this yarn for 3.75 per ball.

#5 mercy7

mercy7
  • Villager
  • 847 posts

• Joined 30-June 05

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

:ok for all you u.s. people out there dk is what we english people use to make our projects. :hook i use dk more than chunky or 4ply as it is a good price. there are online places to buy it too. £1 for 100gm balls :cheer i buy some locally for 79p for 100gm ball so that is not bad but there is postage on top buying online. :ghug
Sals
Sals blog please feel free to visit my blog and leave a message

#6 mercy7

mercy7
  • Villager
  • 847 posts

• Joined 30-June 05

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:49 AM

I'm glad you know what it stands for. I didn't know that. And you are right, it's between a worsted and a sport weight. My mother once described it to me as a very light worsted. I've been trying to get my hands on some for a while now 'cuase I have some great patterns using it. But, the only DK weight I can find is out of my price range....

here is a link to the site where i buy my dk and chunky online :yay :hook :hug
http://www.cpu-enter...k-rainbow-x.htm
Sals
Sals blog please feel free to visit my blog and leave a message

#7 Dejhia

Dejhia
  • Villager
  • 596 posts

• Joined 05-September 05

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

:ok for all you u.s. people out there dk is what we english people use to make our projects. :hook i use dk more than chunky or 4ply as it is a good price. there are online places to buy it too. £1 for 100gm balls :cheer i buy some locally for 79p for 100gm ball so that is not bad but there is postage on top buying online. :ghug

It would make sense that DK is more used in England than in the states. My mother loves it, but she tends to like like more the English and Eurpean stuff. ( Her first good yarn shop was owned by someone who imported yarn from England and the Fair Isles...) I tend to work in Worsted Weight and Sport weight.. . I would love to work in Fingering weight like my mom does for her knitting, but it's just to expensive to make a sweater out of it.... Thanks for the link though.. I will bookmark the place.

#8 faithpa76

faithpa76
  • Villager
  • 6,723 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:51 AM

Ah ha! I was wondering what DK meant, that's useful information! :D

Faith ~ The Crocheting Cook

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~ Elizabeth Stone

#9 Suebee42

Suebee42
  • Villager
  • 819 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:56 AM

You know...I've always found Lion Brand Wool Ease to be lighter than regular worsted weight, despite being considered a "4 ply worsted weight" yarn... I'd think you'd be able to substitute it for DK... at least I probably would, because I say "screw it" and do stuff like that! LOL!
Suebee
Still Friendly, But No Longer Your Neighborhood Jo-Ann Team Member

Suebee Designs | Join Me at SparkPeople!

#10 firemanshunny

firemanshunny
  • Villager
  • 253 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:41 AM

You can get the plymouth wildflower DK here for 3.75 or here for 3.99 with $5.00 dollar shipping (if you got 5 balls of wildflower it would be a little cheaper at the second place.) or you can try Knitpicks Merino Style for 2.29 this is also a DK weight.

You can try this yarn from Smiley's but they have a 30 dollar limit. I have never used the Luxor Dk.

I also think that shine from knit picks would work well as a DK weight. It has a gauge of 24st=4" on a size 3-5 needles (they alway list knitting gauge!) But I am sure that with the right size hook (F or G) you could get a gauge of 22 stitches= 4" for a DK weight
I have some extra shine at home I am going to swatch it with a G hook and see what I get. I really like the shine yarn.
Hope this helps!!
Firemanshunny
13 years of crocheting and still needs help now and then!

Visit My blog

#11 Dejhia

Dejhia
  • Villager
  • 596 posts

• Joined 05-September 05

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:02 PM

You know...I've always found Lion Brand Wool Ease to be lighter than regular worsted weight, despite being considered a "4 ply worsted weight" yarn... I'd think you'd be able to substitute it for DK... at least I probably would, because I say "screw it" and do stuff like that! LOL!

Hum.. That's odd. I'm working for the first time with Wool Ease, and I thought it was a little thicker than the Carron Simply Soft I like to work with... But I'm with you, I will modify a good pattern to make it work with the yarn I have.

#12 Dejhia

Dejhia
  • Villager
  • 596 posts

• Joined 05-September 05

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:04 PM

Thanks firemanshunny for all the good links... :clap After my move, I will have to do a search and pull up this thread again .... I can't really order more yarn right now :( since I won't be in this house 2 months from now.. wow.. that's weird to think about... less than two montsh... sorry.. I am getting way off topic here. But, after the move, . . .

#13 Suebee42

Suebee42
  • Villager
  • 819 posts

• Joined 21-March 05

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:07 AM

Simply Soft is another one that is a little thin... when I think "normal" worsted weight yarn, I think Red Heart Super Saver, TLC, or Caron Pounder. LOL!
Suebee
Still Friendly, But No Longer Your Neighborhood Jo-Ann Team Member

Suebee Designs | Join Me at SparkPeople!

#14 Dejhia

Dejhia
  • Villager
  • 596 posts

• Joined 05-September 05

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:30 AM

Now that I think about it, you are right. Wool Ese is thinner than the standard WW yarns... I guess It's just 'cause my last project was in Sport weight that WW seemed big....

#15 Rosemary

Rosemary
  • Villager
  • 1,197 posts

• Joined 12-October 05

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:07 PM

I received my copy of Crochet magazine today, and there is a pattern for a newborn gift set on page 30. It calls for Plymouth Wildflower size 8 Crochet Cotton. Is this the same yarn for sale on the sites just posted? I am confused because they are not calling it crochet cotton or mentioning the size 8.
Thanks for any help, as I would love to try and crochet the newborn gift set from the magazine.
Rosemary

#16 natalie058

natalie058
  • Villager
  • 1,817 posts

• Joined 20-March 05

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:45 PM

I searched at the Plymouth site, and this is what it gave me for "wildflower" so my guess is that the two are one and the same. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go grab my copy of Crochet! to check... :blush

#17 Rosemary

Rosemary
  • Villager
  • 1,197 posts

• Joined 12-October 05

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:12 PM

Natalie058, thank you for answering my question concerning the wildflower yarn. I kind of think it is the same, too. Guess I will try and order some online, as I have not seen it here in Toronto.

Yours,

Rosemary