Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Crochet with a broken wrist?

broken wrist

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jones

Jones
  • Villager
  • 26 posts

• Joined 07-February 07

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi everyone! This may be in the wrong section, but have any of you ever crocheted with a broken wrist? I broke my left wrist a few days ago and I an already having crochet withdrawals. Right now it is in a splint but I will get the cast next week. I am right handed so it doesn't look like it would be a problen. I will wait and ask my doctor but I was just curious if anyone has tried it and if so, how did it work or did it? This one handed typing is for the birds! :)

#2 Granny Square

Granny Square
  • Villager
  • 6,552 posts

• Joined 18-June 07

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Don't.

I've never broken my wrist, but I have other hand issues, and I learned the hard way you really need to rest (of the injured area) to heal. 

Really.  Your body needs to focus on healing.  Let it do it's job.  Use your good hand to surf for patterns instead, for when you're back in 1 piece again!

Granny Square

#3 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,862 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

yup unless your doctor releases you to hook, you are a non-hooker for awhile.  I did break my wrist (compound 7 places) but I was not crocheting then.  It was also put together with plates and screws.  6 weeks ot PT after that.  

I do think that crocheting has help keep the wrist flexible...well a bit more flexible :D

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#4 cat3crazy

cat3crazy
  • Villager
  • 5,090 posts

• Joined 20-July 06

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

I've broken both wrists. The first one (the right) was about 3 years ago and I didn't crochet for some time afterward but I must say that once I started it was a great way to get it back in shape. I broke my left wrist last Sept and it was a bad break. I haven't tried to crochet yet since I'm still having pain in it. I could try to crochet and just see. I'm not taking PT so I need to do something to get it back in shape.

Of all the things that I've lost,

I miss my mind the most.

#5 Jones

Jones
  • Villager
  • 26 posts

• Joined 07-February 07

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm not going to try it unless I have my doctor's ok. I had read in a knitting forum where people were knitting with a broken wrist so that made me curious how or if it would work for people that crochet. So that is why I was asking. To those of you that have experienced this, what did you do to fill your days since you couldn't crochet?

#6 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,862 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

ok unless you are left handed it might work better.  I just realized it is your left hand.  It will still depend on the doctor and if you can do it without pain.  I broke my right wrist and I was just plain sol for a long time.  I spent a lot of time on the computer.  Bought an ergonomic keyboard which allowed me to start trying to type.  I also went out and worked in the garden..yeah crazy, probably stupid, but I did.  To keep it clean I'd put it in a long sleeve dishglove and tape it up.  I'd pour the water out of the glove when i was done from the sweat.  I wasn't always a good patient lol., but with the hardware, other than letting the incision heal, they told me I couldn't hurt it..not that I couldn't do something that wouldn't hurt!

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#7 Jones

Jones
  • Villager
  • 26 posts

• Joined 07-February 07

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

ok unless you are left handed it might work better.  I just realized it is your left hand.  It will still depend on the doctor and if you can do it without pain.  I broke my right wrist and I was just plain sol for a long time.  I spent a lot of time on the computer.  Bought an ergonomic keyboard which allowed me to start trying to type.  I also went out and worked in the garden..yeah crazy, probably stupid, but I did.  To keep it clean I'd put it in a long sleeve dishglove and tape it up.  I'd pour the water out of the glove when i was done from the sweat.  I wasn't always a good patient lol., but with the hardware, other than letting the incision heal, they told me I couldn't hurt it..not that I couldn't do something that wouldn't hurt!

I am right handed so that part won't be a problem. My right hand seems to do most of the work. Thanks for your suggestions.