3 replies to this topic

#1 phyl130

phyl130

• Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 09-February 13

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

I live in the UK and am planning to crochet an American pattern which uses a size Q hook but on trying to find one I discover the sizing is not consistent (16mm 15.75mm 15mm) Lyon brand advertises theirs as  15.75mm but the packaging actually says 15mm does anyone know the correct size. Here in the UK we only go up to 15mm so an accurate sizing  would be really helpful in saving the pennies (cents) as a Q hook costs £10 almost $16. Your help would much appreciated.
         Many thanks Phyl.

#2 Avon Lady

Avon Lady

• Villager
  • 1,021 posts

• Joined 03-January 09

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

measurements according to the Hook Sizes sheet I have, the Q hook is 16 mm.  Now, I don't know if that really corresponds to your measurements in the UK or not, because my chart states that it is the "corresponding U. S. Sizes usually both listed on hooks".  I would assume that it is the right mm.  I HOPE!  Good luck!  Oh,let me know if you'd like a copy of that comparison chart, and I'll email it to you!

Collette

A New Bag Lady-Very Proud Owner of November 2014 Bag # 104 "Good-bye Autumn"

WIP: Sampler Afghan in off whites and tans for County Fair in July  (missed this year, so....2015!)
Retired and having fun as a teacher of a Crochet Class at a local Senior Center.

#3 phyl130

phyl130

• Villager
  • 2 posts

• Joined 09-February 13

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thank you Avon lady for your reply, the chart I looked at said the same but Lyon brand (a US company) gives two different sizes for Q and if the actual measurement is 15mm that would be really helpful.

Many thanks phyl.

#4 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan

• Villager
  • 8,916 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi and welcome to the ville :hook

What pattern are you going to use?  If it was put out by a yarn company, they might have their own size chart.  

• wheat likes this
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078