• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Afghaniac

Afghaniac
  • Villager
  • 2,461 posts

• Joined 16-July 05

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'd like to try translating a coaster pattern in No.10 thread to a placemat In cotton worsted. So the ratio would be about 1-3 if a placemat is about 15" in diameter and coasters, as a guess, about 5 ". Has anybody tried this, or would somebody venture a guess whether this would work? Granted, I could add a round here a or there, but not being much of an improviser or designer, I probably couldn't make drastic adjustments. The coasters are in a Leisure Arts book of coaster patterns.

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,286 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

It might.  I think the placemat might come out a little on the small side.

Do you know of the Petite Pineapple Doily?  I did that in Simply Soft with an E hook (so it would be similar to worsted cotton) and it came out the perfect size for a placemat.  Granted - the Petite Pineapple doily is bigger than a coaster, though.

#3 Afghaniac

Afghaniac
  • Villager
  • 2,461 posts

• Joined 16-July 05

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

It might.  I think the placemat might come out a little on the small side.

Do you know of the Petite Pineapple Doily?  I did that in Simply Soft with an E hook (so it would be similar to worsted cotton) and it came out the perfect size for a placemat.  Granted - the Petite Pineapple doily is bigger than a coaster, though.

Thank you, RoseRed, for the info on your experience with a larger hook and yarn. It appears that I might be wasting my time changing a coaster-size doily to a placemat. Maybe I should just take the time and try to design a placemat, using experience with other patterns! The doily you made is a lovely pattern. I have made a set of Priscilla Hewitt's pineapple placemats ---also a very pretty pattern. They actually turned out so large that I can't put eight of them around my dining table, so I sold four at a charity auction. I'm actually looking for more of a flower pattern, but haven't seen what I want so far.

#4 Martha Z

Martha Z
  • Villager
  • 135 posts

• Joined 06-January 11

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

I'd like to try translating a coaster pattern in No.10 thread to a placemat In cotton worsted. So the ratio would be about 1-3 if a placemat is about 15" in diameter and coasters, as a guess, about 5 ". Has anybody tried this, or would somebody venture a guess whether this would work? Granted, I could add a round here a or there, but not being much of an improviser or designer, I probably couldn't make drastic adjustments. The coasters are in a Leisure Arts book of coaster patterns.

I've used doily patterns as rug patterns.  I used two or three strands of yarn and a large hook.  They turned out a nice size so maybe if you use two strands of yarn and larger hook you will get a size close to what you want. 

Martha
Wrinkles only go where smiles have been.
by Jimmy Buffett