Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

sweetheart ripple help please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yankeeblue

yankeeblue
  • Villager
  • 218 posts

• Joined 13-February 07

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I have the pattern for the sweetheart ripple afghan and have made it a couple of times.  This time I would love to make a baby afghan version for my new granddaughter coming in June.  Can anyone please help me convert the amount of chain stitches into what I would need for a nice baby blanket size?  Is there an approximate general baby blanket size?  thanks for your help.

#2 marpan79

marpan79
  • Villager
  • 5,910 posts

• Joined 27-February 10

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I haven't made this pattern, but when I do a baby blanket I usually make them around 32-36" if that helps you at all :D  Good luck!

Marisa
Proud to be 'bag lady' #79 of Mary Jo's Pumpkin Patch Tote
Proud owner of Dusti's College Tote (by Merri Purdy)
www.PancheriChiro.com

#3 prettywoman030981

prettywoman030981
  • Villager
  • 874 posts

• Joined 07-November 11

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Have you considered just using lighter weight yarn? I've done this pattern, but I stuck with the pattern. I'm sure you can just take out a few of the "hearts" to get the size down. I can't remember how many stitches there are to each heart, but I'm sure that will work.
Jennifer, mom of 5, crocheting since 2010, Knitting since 2012
Can you Help give afghans to NICU babies for Christmas?
Stashbusting Score: 2012 YTD:-6 ~ 2013 YTD:+20
2014: WTD: 0 YTD: -15

50 book challenge 2012: 67 ~ 2013: 102
2014: 27/50

“If more people knitted and crocheted, the world would see fewer wars and a whole lot less road rage.” – Lily Chin

#4 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,862 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I can't find where I stored my copy of the pattern to figure out the pattern repeat.  You could start with a chain about how wide you want it and then add a few extra stitches for the take up of width by the ripples.  Then work the pattern and get it as wide as you want.  Undo remaining chains.  That way you can use any weight yarn and still have it the size you want.

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,344 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

There's a very long Sweetheart Ripple CAL here.  That thread should be most helpful.  I believe it's in the CAL section

#6 yankeeblue

yankeeblue
  • Villager
  • 218 posts

• Joined 13-February 07

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

There's a very long Sweetheart Ripple CAL here.  That thread should be most helpful.  I believe it's in the CAL section

thanks RoseRed! that's exactly what I did.  I went to the CAL and found that one person had indeed made the afghan for a baby and suggested 142 chain as the base.  it worked perfect! just what I needed.  and for future afghans...the pattern is

plus or minus 13 to get the correct pattern details. 

thank you all so much! I will post a photo after it is complete! :)

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed
  • Villager
  • 15,344 posts

• Joined 11-January 07

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Awesome!

#8 crochetkim

crochetkim
  • Villager
  • 3,461 posts

• Joined 27-August 05

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I have the pattern for the sweetheart ripple afghan and have made it a couple of times.  This time I would love to make a baby afghan version for my new granddaughter coming in June.  Can anyone please help me convert the amount of chain stitches into what I would need for a nice baby blanket size?  Is there an approximate general baby blanket size?  thanks for your help.

According to several projects on Ravelry, 155 seems to be the magic number for a baby blanket.

tunicthumb091612a.jpg
KimGuzman.com
Books, patterns, tips, free videos and more
Find me on Facebook Pinterest @crochetkim Blog
The most Tunisian crochet videos on the internet!
Right-and Left-handed YouTube