Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Help pattern

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Amethyste

Amethyste
  • Villager
  • 10 posts

• Joined 06-February 13

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Hi, first hello (i am new around here)

I have a pattern that says :

Row 1 : 6 single into magic ring. (6 singles)

Row 2 : 2 single in each stitch, around. (12 singles)

Row 3 : Single in next, 2 single in next, around. (18 singles)

Row 4 : Singles in next 2 singles, 2 single in next, around (24)

Row 5 : Single in next 3 singles, 2 single in next, around. (30)

So i am fine with row 1 and 2 but i am not sure from row 3 what they mean by 18 stitches. Does it mean i do a single and next 9 x 2 stiches ? or should i do a single and then 18 x 2stitches ? 

Sorry, it is probably a basic question but i am not doing lots of patterns. I am trying to do a carousel box for my daughter's first bd ;-) thanks

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,675 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Welcome to the ville :hook (18 singles) is telling you that you will have 18 single crochet stitches in this round when it is finished. The directions for the round mean to do one single crochet in the first stitch, 2 single crochets in the next stitch, one in the next, two in the next, and repeat all the way around.
--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#3 Amethyste

Amethyste
  • Villager
  • 10 posts

• Joined 06-February 13

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Oh thank you very much. that crossed my mind too but i thought she would write repeat instead. I am sure i will be posting again soon crying for more help, lol !

Edited by Amethyste, 06 February 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#4 FrLopLady

FrLopLady
  • Villager
  • 4,859 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

you will find it is really NICE when the writer of a pattern gives the stitch count at the end of the row or round!

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#5 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,675 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Oh thank you very much. that crossed my mind too but i thought she would write repeat instead. I am sure i will be posting again soon crying for more help, lol !

a lot of patterns would use the word repeat.  this one , to me , is written in a non-standard way---which is pretty common with patterns on blogs etc.  

Do ask whatever you need to, we love to help!  

--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#6 Amethyste

Amethyste
  • Villager
  • 10 posts

• Joined 06-February 13

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I will be careful then, I am really hoping i ll be able to do it for her birthday. I am also hoping i am not being too ambitious, lol.