5 replies to this topic

#1 O-Castitatis-Lilium

O-Castitatis-Lilium
  • Villager
  • 66 posts

• Joined 30-January 13

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hello, it's me again lol

You are probably getting sick of seeing my pictureless name come pu on here XD LOL!!!! But, I am having a really hard tome reading this one pattern I'm trying to learn from a book I got form the library. 

The pattern goes 

Row 1: *Sk 2 ch, [ 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc] all in the next ch (shell made), sk 2 ch, sc in the next ch *, rep bet *s across,turn (6 shells completed)

Row 2: Ch 3, dc in last sc (1/2 shell), *sc in ch-1 sp, shell in sc *, rep bet *s across ending sc in ch-1 sp, 2 dc in last st of the previous row (1/2 shell), turn.

Row 3: (this is basically the same as row 1 except that we are working over an established row instead of a foundation chain. It differs from row 2 in that there are no half-shells at the end) Ch 3, * shell in sc, sc in ch-1 sp *, rep bet *s across, turn.

Now, this is totally confusing, I know what all the abbreviations are ( I have been trying my hardest to learn them lol ) but, it doesn't make any sense at all to me, even if I read out the abbreviations to their full length. I even have a piece of the material I have been working on in front of me and have been trying to figure it out for ever. Please help me! 

Again, as always, your help will be much MUCH appreciated.

P.S. The book is "crocheting in plain english" by Maggie Righetti pg. 124-125, sorry, force of habit from school lol.

Edited by O-Castitatis-Lilium, 05 February 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#2 Aggie May

Aggie May
  • Villager
  • 3,144 posts

• Joined 22-April 05

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Where in the world are you? The pattern appears to be a US pattern so if you are in the UK or Europe, you may be using the wrong stitches, which will not help you work out the pattern. The DC (Double Crochet) in your pattern is the same as a TR (Treble) in UK/European speak. The shell is formed with DC2, CH1, DC2 and each side of it there is a SC which holds the shell down to give it shape. (On the row with the half shell at the beginning, there is CH3 which stands as your first DC then you work 1DC into the base of that CH3 to form the Half Shell and at the end you will work 2DC into the last stitch.) At the beginning of the row, you SK the first 2 CH, from the foundation chain, and it looks like the pattern is using those stitches as the first SC but you can just work 1 less CH and work your very first SC into the 2nd CH from the hook. The [ ] are being used to show you that this part of the row are worked into the same CH then the * are being used to show you that you repeat * to * for the repeats across the row. The (Shell made) is just telling you what you did with the instruction in the [ ]. This is not the best written version of a Shell Pattern that I have seen. What are you making? Hope this helps. Have fun. Colleen PS, Personally, I would not use the [ ] in this sort of pattern instruction.

#3 O-Castitatis-Lilium

O-Castitatis-Lilium
  • Villager
  • 66 posts

• Joined 30-January 13

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Where in the world are you?
The pattern appears to be a US pattern so if you are in the UK or Europe, you may be using the wrong stitches, which will not help you work out the pattern.
The DC (Double Crochet) in your pattern is the same as a TR (Treble) in UK/European speak.
The shell is formed with DC2, CH1, DC2 and each side of it there is a SC which holds the shell down to give it shape.
(On the row with the half shell at the beginning, there is CH3 which stands as your first DC then you work 1DC into the base of that CH3 to form the Half Shell and at the end you will work 2DC into the last stitch.)
At the beginning of the row, you SK the first 2 CH, from the foundation chain, and it looks like the pattern is using those stitches as the first SC but you can just work 1 less CH and work your very first SC into the 2nd CH from the hook.

The [ ] are being used to show you that this part of the row are worked into the same CH then the * are being used to show you that you repeat * to * for the repeats across the row.
The (Shell made) is just telling you what you did with the instruction in the [ ].
This is not the best written version of a Shell Pattern that I have seen.
What are you making?

Hope this helps.
Have fun.
Colleen
PS, Personally, I would not use the [ ] in this sort of pattern instruction.

I am actually from Canada, I'm not sure if any pattern here is printed in British or UK standards or if we use US standards over here lol. 

ok I got everything that you said, it made it TONS clearer but, the only thing I'm having a bit of trouble with is where you said

"(On the row with the half shell at the beginning, there is CH3 which stands as your first DC then you work 1DC into the base of that CH3 to form the Half Shell and at the end you will work 2DC into the last stitch.)"

(sorry I have no clue how to quote within quote yet lol. still kind of new to this page ^^; )

I'm not making anything right now, I'm trying to practice it before I go to attempt it in a piece that I might do later on lol. I just don't want to ruin any yarn i plan to use for it lol. 

again, thank you for the help.

P.S WE HAVE A PLACE NAMED HAMILTON HERE TOO!!!! lol sorry just thought that was cool, Hamilton, Ontario it is ^_^

#4 Aggie May

Aggie May
  • Villager
  • 3,144 posts

• Joined 22-April 05

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hello Canada. Yes, there are a lot of Hamiltons around the world. Someone here has just written a whole book about all of them. Have not read it but it was selling well. The bit you were having the problem with is telling you that there is a half shell at each end of the row to keep your edges straight. The first row starts and ends with a SC and there is SC between each Shell. The second row needs a half shell at each end or you will end up decreasing. When you have made a Shell, cover half of it over so you can see what I mean. Personally, I use 3DC for Half Shells when doing this sort of pattern. Are you actually doing the rows or just reading it? I have crocheted and knitted for more than 60years and I still find patterns hard to understand without my hook or needles in my hand. Have fun. Colleen

#5 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,604 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

I have the second edition of this book, which came out in 2008.  In it, there is a stitch symbol diagram and a photo of the stitch, on page 125.  If your book has these, studying them , esp the diagram , should help you understand the stitch pattern.  

--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078

#6 O-Castitatis-Lilium

O-Castitatis-Lilium
  • Villager
  • 66 posts

• Joined 30-January 13

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

I have the second edition of this book, which came out in 2008.  In it, there is a stitch symbol diagram and a photo of the stitch, on page 125.  If your book has these, studying them , esp the diagram , should help you understand the stitch pattern.  

Mine does but, the thing was, the chart wasn't seeming to match up, they seemed to be a little different from the written instructions. That's where I was getting confused a bit I think. I'm still trying to learn how to read the charts lol, I'm really sloppy with those but I was trying to line up the abbreviated pattern with the chart and...to me...I guess because I'm still learning, they didn't seem to match up. I will try that again though lol

I guess mine is the second edition too ^-^. I will try again!

Hello Canada. Yes, there are a lot of Hamiltons around the world. Someone here has just written a whole book about all of them. Have not read it but it was selling well. The bit you were having the problem with is telling you that there is a half shell at each end of the row to keep your edges straight. The first row starts and ends with a SC and there is SC between each Shell. The second row needs a half shell at each end or you will end up decreasing. When you have made a Shell, cover half of it over so you can see what I mean. Personally, I use 3DC for Half Shells when doing this sort of pattern. Are you actually doing the rows or just reading it? I have crocheted and knitted for more than 60years and I still find patterns hard to understand without my hook or needles in my hand. Have fun. Colleen

I am very through when it comes to stuff dealing with numbers. I have a hard time reading them, I have this Dyscalculia thing lol. I can't read numbers like everyone else can, my brain doesn't process them well, and if too many are thrown out at me at one time, my brain freaks out and just doesn't look at them anymore lol. So when I do stuff like this, I read it out, then I have to write out all the numbers in their written form, either in my head as I go, or if I'm really tired, out on paper lol. Then I go over the reading again, to see if it makes sense. Then for this, I get my yarn and my hook and I try it out, just to make sure I have read it right. I will try and try and try, for hours usually before having to ask someone else for help lol ^^; I know, it sounds a little OCD but, if I don't then I will never get it lol. Though, I do thank you very much for helping me out with the pattern, it has made it a lot easier for me to understand it ^-^