• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PBLKNP

PBLKNP

• Villager
  • 3,023 posts

• Joined 04-November 05

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have what is probably going to be a LOONEY idea for something to make...

Has anyone ever heard of anyone crocheting a horse blanket? 

I have a wonderful coworker who loves horses.  I thought it might be a nice thing to make her a blanket for her horse, but I wasn't sure if horses need some sort of special strength blanket, or a specific type of fiber, etc.

:think

PAM

WIP = EZ Adult Surprise Sweater (k), Teddy Bear (k). Done this year: Socks (k), Patchwork Trio Afghan (k), Foolproof Cowl (k), Duck Hat (k), Garter Cowl (k), Log Cabin Baby Blanket ©, Jules baby sweater (k), Socks (k-2), Reader's Shawl ©.

Stashbuster Total: WTD +62 YTD -74

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com/

#2 FrLopLady

FrLopLady

• Villager
  • 4,862 posts

• Joined 20-January 10

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

I don't think it would ever be close to being sturdy enough unless it was hooked out of nylon or something like that.    They can be pretty hard on them.  

Maybe get her a Breyer horse and make it a blanket :D

Mary
E Washington State
Stashbustin' 2011 Final score -596, 2012! YTD -331
Stashbusting 2014 6/30/2014 YTD: +167

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

#3 Empress Busy Bee

Empress Busy Bee

• Villager
  • 9,032 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

I don't know about a blanket either.  How about an ear bonnet?

http://www.ravelry.c...nnet-for-horses

http://www.ravelry.c...-horse-ear-nets

http://www.ravelry.c...ts---fly-bonnet

:)

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

• Villager
  • 14,875 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Leg warmers? :lol  :lol  :lol

#5 ReniC

ReniC

• Villager
  • 3,022 posts

• Joined 27-December 07

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Years ago I made saddle blankets for my horses and was told by a "seasoned" wrangler on the ranch to "Never use artificial fiber blankets on the back of a horse. They can cause too much friction between the horses back and saddle then create sores". I made a few wool blankets and felted them which worked out fine except the wear was not very long and a bit pricey for the 100% wool. I did make a few more wool blankets and used them as decorative blankets on top of the store bought ones. Put a bit of pizzaz peaking out from under my saddle.

#6 mattenylou

mattenylou

• Villager
  • 1,043 posts

• Joined 04-August 08

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

I just put this pattern up in the new Pattern Directory yesterday, for a little horse hat.

Here's a better photo

Keep Smilin'....

#7 grannyannie

grannyannie

• Villager
  • 12,002 posts

• Joined 25-November 07

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I just put this pattern up in the new Pattern Directory yesterday, for a little horse hat.

Here's a better photo

I don't have any horses and don't really know anything about there upkeep, but that hat is beautiful. 

Ann
Compassionate Creations - scarves for survivors of abuse

proud owner of stitchgirl's tote Jan '11
proud owner of dorothysgirls' pen/pencil set Mar '11
proud owner of Old Time 4th of July-baglady #64
proud owner of Kuddlekubs Snow Capped Mountains Tote
My Rav ID - grannyanniek  
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

#8 papersmiles

papersmiles

• Villager
  • 473 posts

• Joined 05-January 06

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

WOW, what a lovely piece of crochet.  I have a couple of neighbors that "horse around".....LOL.  I know the gal would love one of those for her horse.  May a black one would be nice for her partner's horse.  Thanks so much for the link.

#9 Elle

Elle

• Villager
  • 3,724 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Back when I used to ride and show horses I used to crochet saddle blankets for myself.  What you COULD do that might be possible if you are looking to make an actual blanket for the horse would be to take a lightweight cotton thread and crochet a fly sheet, which is just a lightweight blanket that you put on a horse in a stall or paddock to keep the flies from bothering them.  You could also, as someone suggested, crochet a fringed strip that attaches to their halter to keep the flies from bothering their eyes.  

Elle

When an eel swimming by takes a bite of your thigh, that's a moray

I am a Bag Lady! - #31 - "Christmas Memories" 2008

2010 Wish List #5, Post #23

#10 unicorndragon

unicorndragon

• Villager
  • 18 posts

• Joined 19-July 12

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

I am wanting to make a horse blanket for my horse, but have no clue where to find a crochet pattern for one. And I am not very good at creating patterns. Does anyone know where to find a pattern?

#11 waysouth

waysouth

• Villager
  • 95 posts

• Joined 21-August 13

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Are you meaning a saddle blanket? Rather than a full size rug!
No reason why not, but it would have to be

> absorbent, or sweat will cause soreness

> thick enough to provide a little bit of padding, but not too thick to interfere with the fit of the saddle

> nice and soft

> tough enough to withstand frequent washing and brushing off hair

Lastly, it should be crazy, unique and fun!!

#12 unicorndragon

unicorndragon

• Villager
  • 18 posts

• Joined 19-July 12

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Not looking for a saddle blanket pattern. I am looking for a full blown stable blanket pattern...lol...I may have to try and create one on my own, but have no clue how I am going to create it...lol.

#13 waysouth

waysouth

• Villager
  • 95 posts

• Joined 21-August 13

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Yes, I see.
In my opinion it would be of not much use, most are water repellant or waterproof. For added warmth a full size blanket is put on under the top rug.

You could maybe crochet a " sweat rug", this is made of a mesh pattern, sometimes used as a summer fly sheet.
If you google horse sweat rugs, or horse rugs using IMAGEs, the pictures may give you some ideas. If you google horse blankets you won't get the shaped rugs with all the necessary fixing straps

Just be careful you don't spend a lot of time making something the owner will never use, horse owners are fussy people, I know because I've been one for years

#14 waysouth

waysouth

• Villager
  • 95 posts

• Joined 21-August 13

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Here's a better photo

That's lovely, I would add a fringe to help keep flies out of the eyes like the Shire horse fly masks

#15 unicorndragon

unicorndragon

• Villager
  • 18 posts

• Joined 19-July 12

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

Lol...it's for my horse and I am want to make it for him to where when he is in his stall or traveling during colder weather...no way would something like this last for outdoor use when he is in the pasture.

#16 Elle

Elle

• Villager
  • 3,724 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

You would have to make it out of cotton, and unless you used a very light, #10 cotton thread, the blanket would be so heavy it would be very ungainly to work with.  Also, I think the weight of the blanket would probably pull it out of shape because worsted weight cotton is VERY heavy when it is crocheted into a cloth.  I made a hoodie for myself out of worsted weight cotton and the thing weighs a TON!  It's very cozy, even when it's pretty cold out, but as far as the amount you would need to make a horse blanket, it would REALLY be heavy to work with.  I would stick with the #10 cotton thread and make a fly sheet or a lightweight sheet to go UNDER a heavy rug for traveling.  Otherwise I don't think the project would turn out too well just based on how much the thing is going to end up weighing.  And if it ever gets wet, fuggeddaboudit!  Your horse's knees are going to be shaking trying to hold the thing up!  LOL!

Elle

When an eel swimming by takes a bite of your thigh, that's a moray

I am a Bag Lady! - #31 - "Christmas Memories" 2008

2010 Wish List #5, Post #23