Photo

Where do you draw inspiration for designs?

design inspiration

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrsThreehorn

MrsThreehorn
  • Villager
  • 4 posts

• Joined 31-January 13

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

When I'm trying to think up a new design sometimes it gets hard to come up with something special that will stick out. At times I can be really proud of something then I run across another design that is either similar or maybe better executed.
I was wondering what kind of things inspire ideas in pattern designers. For me it's music and stitch patterns. If I see a stitch pattern I really like the rest of the design seems to just fall into place.

What inspires you?
Sara :)

Check out my blog dedicated to crochet and knitting with a video game theme! http://gamingurumi.tumblr.com

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,426 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I get ideas everywhere. Recently, a girlfriend had her hair cut into a pixie style. Immediately I thought pixie hats are not just for children. She would be adorable in one.

#3 Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane
  • Villager
  • 885 posts

• Joined 04-February 13

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

I just take inspiration from the things around me. For instance at the moment I am making a crochet chess set-just to challenge myself and something to take longer then 1 night. Also we only have a glass one and the kids can't use it so this one we teach them to play with :) It opens up heaps of possibilities and it is not something I have seen done so also thinking about maybe doing that pattern up to sell too. I love the food amigurumi too I think they are great but have not yet mastered it myself. Have a look around your house and pick something random and give that a go and see what happens :D

#4 Just-in

Just-in
  • Villager
  • 116 posts

• Joined 16-January 13

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

I'm making mostly amigurumi, so I'm inspired by animals, cartoons and my child's clothes - he has lots of cute teddies on his shirts;) When I started making dogs, my friends joke that I see amigurumi in every dog I'm passing.

More of my creations at: www.cuteandkaboodle.com
I'm Just-in at Ravelry, too! :)
Stashbusting CAL: 7th December 2013 WTD: +16 YTD: -97

#5 Polen Mite

Polen Mite
  • Villager
  • 5 posts

• Joined 14-February 13

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

The item clears in place tons of opportunities and it is definitely not some thing I have witnessed carried out therefore likewise thinking of maybe accomplishing that pattern around sell also.

I like the foodstuff amigurumi also I'm sure these are wonderful although haven't nevertheless learned it me personally.

#6 pinkroses

pinkroses
  • Villager
  • 1,760 posts

• Joined 16-December 05

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I watch pbs  shows for crocheting and kntting

I get inspired from looking at magazines

and looking at pinterest

I know that I have a guardian angel by me all the time. I am very thankful
pinkroses
www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com

THE MORE YOU GIVE TO OTHERS THE MORE YOU RECIVE IN RETURN.

#7 The Shrone

The Shrone
  • Villager
  • 1,588 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

My latest sources of inspiration have been gothic beaded or lace necklaces, and henna tattoos. There is a lot of circular folk art that fascinates me and I imagine how I might translate it into thread crochet. 

Whenever I go to the Olive Garden restaurant there will be some decoration on the wall that catches my eye and I see the design potential for crochet. There's also a local restaurant that has the same effect on me.

I must say that since I started designing I see the world through "crochet vision". I'll see something that catches my eye and suddenly I'll see how it can be turned into crochet!

Edited by The Shrone, 01 March 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#8 anastaciaknits

anastaciaknits
  • Villager
  • 20 posts

• Joined 03-March 13

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

quilts are endless fountains of inspiration for me, as is nature

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: design, inspiration