2 replies to this topic

#1 LI Roe

LI Roe
  • Villager
  • 1,285 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Hi all,

I was poking around my containers last night, looking for something specific when I pulled out a skein of a color I decided to use, checked the weight and saw it was actually an old 4 oz (remember them?, LOL) skein made in the USA. Then I noticed it said MH Yarn Inc, Hempstead NY, which is only a few miles from where I live.I did try to google it but apparently not there anymore.

I had been given a rather huge donation of yarn years ago, before I retired in 1999, so it was in that stash. It just said Sayelle yarn of Orlon on it.

Thought it was cool that it was 1) a 4 oz skein, which are dinosaurs now and 2) from a local town. Anyone remember or know of this company? It is fun to find stuff like this.

LI Roe

#2 MamawNaNa

MamawNaNa
  • Villager
  • 168 posts

• Joined 28-December 12

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I actually have  old 4 oz. skein that says Sayelle on it, 100% dupont orlon acrylic, it has a Montgomery Ward price tag of $1.37  . It was my Grandmas and she has been gone now 7 years...was 101 yrs old. And I am sure she had not crocheted in many many years.  I looked and it has nothing about NY, just has Chicago listed.  my mom just gave it to me and I am using it to make my 1st toothfairy dill...a practice 1. Turning out pretty good, but I sneeze and sneeze and sneeze when using it.

JeannieIf your'e dreading your next birthday...think of the alternative 2014 Goal ....
4/4 ninja turtles
1/3 baby afghan
0/2 afghans....TMNT afghan and hubby 1.

at least 2 dolls
8/30 Read 30 books
Learn how to make more baby items.
AND...That my wrist heals so i can crochet anytime I want and however much I want again. 5 no not being able to crochet at all was awful. slowly working on TMNT afghan for grandson and need another baby afghan,
Read 50 books 6/50.[/size][/color]<p> Miss you my precious Christina Marie 3/04/78-7/31/1993

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,392 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Orlon acrylic was the best, softest acrylic that used to be made, like Sayelle, then slowly all the yarn labels began to state the yarn was just acrylic.