Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Real 4oz skein of yarn from MH Yarn Inc. in Hempstead NY

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LI Roe

LI Roe
  • Villager
  • 1,341 posts

• Joined 19-March 05

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Hi all,

I was poking around my containers last night, looking for something specific when I pulled out a skein of a color I decided to use, checked the weight and saw it was actually an old 4 oz (remember them?, LOL) skein made in the USA. Then I noticed it said MH Yarn Inc, Hempstead NY, which is only a few miles from where I live.I did try to google it but apparently not there anymore.

I had been given a rather huge donation of yarn years ago, before I retired in 1999, so it was in that stash. It just said Sayelle yarn of Orlon on it.

Thought it was cool that it was 1) a 4 oz skein, which are dinosaurs now and 2) from a local town. Anyone remember or know of this company? It is fun to find stuff like this.

LI Roe

#2 MamawNaNa

MamawNaNa
  • Villager
  • 173 posts

• Joined 28-December 12

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I actually have  old 4 oz. skein that says Sayelle on it, 100% dupont orlon acrylic, it has a Montgomery Ward price tag of $1.37  . It was my Grandmas and she has been gone now 7 years...was 101 yrs old. And I am sure she had not crocheted in many many years.  I looked and it has nothing about NY, just has Chicago listed.  my mom just gave it to me and I am using it to make my 1st toothfairy dill...a practice 1. Turning out pretty good, but I sneeze and sneeze and sneeze when using it.

JeannieIf your'e dreading your next birthday...think of the alternative 2014 Goal ....
4/4 ninja turtles
1/3 baby afghan
0/2 afghans....TMNT afghan and hubby 1.

at least 2 dolls
8/30 Read 30 books
Learn how to make more baby items.
AND...That my wrist heals so i can crochet anytime I want and however much I want again. 5 no not being able to crochet at all was awful. slowly working on TMNT afghan for grandson and need another baby afghan,
Read 50 books 6/50.[/size][/color]<p> Miss you my precious Christina Marie 3/04/78-7/31/1993

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal
  • Villager
  • 14,721 posts

• Joined 07-September 07

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Orlon acrylic was the best, softest acrylic that used to be made, like Sayelle, then slowly all the yarn labels began to state the yarn was just acrylic.