• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Amy

Amy
  • Administrator
  • 9,468 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Now that you've been able to spend some time using the new forum software, you've probably noticed some things you'd like us to improve upon.

Please give us your suggestions in this thread. Also, be as specific as possible.

Example: If you think a font is too small or a color is too light, please tell us where you're seeing the problem. If it's in a post, which part of the post? Is it in a signature? (We can't do anything about that, though. Each member will have to change their own signatures, if they want to.) Is it in the list of threads with new posts? Is it on the main forum index? In a profile?

Also, make suggestions on what you'd like to see instead.

We're going to hold off making a lot of the cosmetic changes until we've had time to hear from you. Then we'll compile the suggestions and see what we can do. Some people are likely to make contradictory suggestions, so please understand we won't be able to give everyone exactly what they want. But we'll do our best to make as many people happy as possible!

Some things might be too complicated to do from a technical perspective as well, due to the increased complexity of this software over the vBulletin software.

I can't wait to hear everyone's suggestions!

How to Do Something

If you're still having trouble figuring out how to do something, please check out the built-in Help Files first. The information you need may already be there.

If it's not, please let us know in this thread what you need help with. We'll be creating some additional Help Files based on our particular needs.

Amy Shelton
Crochetville Co-Owner and Community Manager

Facebook Page | Crochetville Blog | Free Crochet Pattern Directory | Twitter | Pinterest

#2 Amy

Amy
  • Administrator
  • 9,468 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Does anybody have any suggestions for us?

Amy Shelton

Facebook Page | Crochetville Blog | Free Crochet Pattern Directory | Twitter | Pinterest

#3 craftyone

craftyone
  • Villager
  • 1,082 posts

• Joined 28-March 08

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

The "smilies" don't seem to be in any order now; it's hard to find the ones you want. I do like the option to start a new thread being very visable and easy to find.It's also easier to add pictures; the big paperclip is easy to find. Is there a way to change the font size in my posts? It seems that my text is smaller than some others.

#4 mattenylou

mattenylou
  • Villager
  • 1,043 posts

• Joined 04-August 08

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Overall, I'm enjoying the new features from this new software and appreciate all the work you've done behind the scenes to make it all come together.Thanks for that quick navigation button, I'm finding that quite helpful, and the quick links in the left column are handy, too.

I posted a little bit in the previous thread, but I'll repeat it here so you'll have it all in the same place.

Parts of the board seem very 'pale' and hard to read, maybe they just need to be in a bolder font.  I would like the poster's name's especially, to be bolder.

I'm wondering what the "villager" above and below everyone's photo is all about, but maybe we can edit that out.

Are the 'hometowns' going to show up again, that was kind of fun to see where everyone was from.

Keep Smilin'....

#5 katyallen8090

katyallen8090
  • Villager
  • 8,277 posts

• Joined 30-July 10

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

The "smilies" don't seem to be in any order now; it's hard to find the ones you want. I do like the option to start a new thread being very visable and easy to find.It's also easier to add pictures; the big paperclip is easy to find. Is there a way to change the font size in my posts? It seems that my text is smaller than some others.

also the smileys, you can't hover below them, to see what they mean, and they are a little small to try to figure them out sometimes for me anyway.

Overall, I'm enjoying the new features from this new software and appreciate all the work you've done behind the scenes to make it all come together.Thanks for that quick navigation button, I'm finding that quite helpful, and the quick links in the left column are handy, too.

I posted a little bit in the previous thread, but I'll repeat it here so you'll have it all in the same place.

Parts of the board seem very 'pale' and hard to read, maybe they just need to be in a bolder font.  I would like the poster's name's especially, to be bolder.

I'm wondering what the "villager" above and below everyone's photo is all about, but maybe we can edit that out.

Are the 'hometowns' going to show up again, that was kind of fun to see where everyone was from.

We also lost not only the home town, but the pattern contributor icon, least I can't find it, and the villager above the name, just means you are a member, and villiage is your status, right, other than new villiager, or something. that doesn't bother me at all. i like the bigger profile pic, and can edit the about me box now, where as when I first tried it, I coudln't. Things are slowly falling into place!

Do stop in soon, to join us! Granny Friendship/Comfort ghan Cal click on link

for info on joining and list of members, and preferences. 

my free square patterns here and here.......and here

My friendship ghan here! Thanks to all!

Baglady #91

My Photopages

#6 MarshaRice

MarshaRice
  • Villager
  • 159 posts

• Joined 04-October 12

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

I would like to see the indicator for photos in a post brought back, also the indicator that tells me I've contributed in a thread.

Marsha

LIFE'S SHORT, LIVE IT WELL

2013 Stashbusting CAL

WTD: -8, YTD: +3

#7 Amy

Amy
  • Administrator
  • 9,468 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

also the smileys, you can't hover below them, to see what they mean, and they are a little small to try to figure them out sometimes for me anyway.

We also lost not only the home town, but the pattern contributor icon, least I can't find it, and the villager above the name, just means you are a member, and villiage is your status, right, other than new villiager, or something. that doesn't bother me at all. i like the bigger profile pic, and can edit the about me box now, where as when I first tried it, I coudln't. Things are slowly falling into place!

The pattern contributor icons will be coming back, but slowly. I have to manually add each person back to the pattern contributor user group that attaches the icon to their profile. I haven't had a chance to get to that yet. When I do, it will still take awhile as there are close to 200 members to process.

Amy Shelton

#8 imanurse55

imanurse55
  • Villager
  • 17,375 posts

• Joined 01-March 09

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

I think there is too much 'white' space and not enough contrast.

I had also mentioned about the smiley's being in no particular order and I think Donna was looking into those.

Overall, it's a nice clean look, but I do find it harder to view with all the white!

No need for it to say Villager both above and below the avatar.

Joanne
Proud owner of Jelly Beans- Bag Lady #61!!(April 2011)

Make every day a good day!

#9 Empress Busy Bee

Empress Busy Bee
  • Villager
  • 8,992 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

If you click on the "show all" that is right under the smilies, you get a pop up window that shows them true size and shows their code.

Hope that helps.  :)

#10 Gardener

Gardener
  • Villager
  • 14,691 posts

• Joined 16-June 06

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

I feel like there is to much white space as well, and too little contrast. I hate to say it, but I feel the site looks kind of boring. I miss that blue crochetville border that the old site had! The light blue bars between the posts are just enough to be distracting, but not enough to clearly indicate that another post is coming. Same with posters names, easy enough to read, but they sort of blend in. Maybe it's just that they are much farther over to the left than they used to be.
Cindy WIPS: 63 squares afghan, Learn to Knit afghan,log cabin afghan, friendship squares afghan, 2 strand afghan for dgs

myblog
2013 book Challenge 136
2014 reading challenge: 75

#11 Amy

Amy
  • Administrator
  • 9,468 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I would like to see the indicator for photos in a post brought back, also the indicator that tells me I've contributed in a thread.

We're working on an option that's even better than the icon indicating photos in a post. We have a plug-in that will display a thumbnail of a photo from the thread just to the left of the thread title. For some reason, it's not working as expected right now, but Donna's trying to get it fixed. If we can't get it to work for whatever reason, she'll explore adding the icon. That is something we'd have to code into our forum "skin" template ourselves.

The icon indicating thread contribution already exists. Just to the left of a thread title now is a small solid circle (bullet) or a small solid star.  A star indicates that you have posted in that thread.

Amy Shelton

#12 Amy

Amy
  • Administrator
  • 9,468 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Overall, it's a nice clean look, but I do find it harder to view with all the white!

No need for it to say Villager both above and below the avatar.

We can't do anything to create  separate backgrounds for a post's text and the signature area, so we're going to be stuck with a solid block of one particular color.

We are going to try to change the background color inside a post from plain white to a softer color that doesn't cause so much glare and is easier on the eyes. It's on the list!

Yes, we thought it was pretty silly/stupid to have Villager showing twice. This forum just displays some information differently than vBulletin, so we've had to make adjustments.

Today, we've been able to remove the top Villager (which sometimes almost looks like it's in a spot for a person's name).

We've also added back the date each member joined the forum and their location (from a custom profile field).

Amy Shelton

#13 Amy

Amy
  • Administrator
  • 9,468 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I miss that blue crochetville border that the old site had!

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the actual blue crochet fabric background?

That is still there. If you don't see it on your computer, open your browser window a little wider.

Because mobile skins are designed to save space and show a minimal clean look, the mobile app will not display the crochet background. Unfortunately, that's just a tradeoff of having a skin designed for better mobile viewing.

Amy Shelton

#14 Empress Busy Bee

Empress Busy Bee
  • Villager
  • 8,992 posts

• Joined 18-March 05

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

We have a plug-in that will display a thumbnail of a photo from the thread just to the left of the thread title

I can't wait for this feature!

:)

#15 katyallen8090

katyallen8090
  • Villager
  • 8,277 posts

• Joined 30-July 10

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

great job! Sounds like you all are right on the mark with some of these changes, things take time, that is understandable.

Question however, when we click on send message to the person we are trying to message, it doesn't seem to give us the option of email or message lke before it would be email or pm.when available. Is that a feature that too is coming back, and thanks for all your hard work, must be a dang full time job keeping up with all this tech stuff!  

Baglady #91

My Photopages

#16 katyallen8090

katyallen8090
  • Villager
  • 8,277 posts

• Joined 30-July 10

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

oops, forgot to add also, when i messaged some people today, it kicked it back to me saying this person cannot accept any new messages.      I have never gotten that before, what is the reason do you suspect for that?

Baglady #91

My Photopages

#17 Gardener

Gardener
  • Villager
  • 14,691 posts

• Joined 16-June 06

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the actual blue crochet fabric background?

That is still there. If you don't see it on your computer, open your browser window a little wider.

Because mobile skins are designed to save space and show a minimal clean look, the mobile app will not display the crochet background. Unfortunately, that's just a tradeoff of having a skin designed for better mobile viewing.

I have been checking in from my iPad, so thanks for the explanation.
Cindy WIPS: 63 squares afghan, Learn to Knit afghan,log cabin afghan, friendship squares afghan, 2 strand afghan for dgs

myblog
2013 book Challenge 136
2014 reading challenge: 75

#18 Katchkan

Katchkan
  • Villager
  • 5,111 posts

• Joined 23-April 05

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I haven't had much of a chance to check things out. My internet has been down for a few days. GRRRRR..... But was wondering if it was possible to read the threads from last post made to first post made. Not 1st post made to last. I like to check on several threads that have been around for a while and read the last comments made. It's faster and easier to do that if I can set it up to read from the last post like we had in the old site. 

I know I need to spend some time figuring things out here, 

I do miss being able to see categories at a glance when browsing through the new posts. Such as Doilies and Runners. It is harder to read the way it is now. Can you highlight the forum titles or something to make them more visiable?  

Edited by Katchkan, 31 January 2013 - 08:00 PM.

*** Kathy ***
www.crochetnbeads.com

The Threads to my heart are wrapped around a Hook
CrochetNBeadsEtsyShop
Crochetnbeadsblog

#19 marycat

marycat
  • Villager
  • 568 posts

• Joined 18-December 07

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

I find the white background just a bit too bright for my aging eyes.  Am still checking out things and getting used to the new look.

#20 kittyloverdeb

kittyloverdeb
  • Villager
  • 6,765 posts

• Joined 22-February 07

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm not crazy about all the white space.  Now today there are no "stars" by the threads that I have replied in.  Also not crazy that when you view someone's profile it lists everyone that viewed it and when they viewed it. 

Deb
Bag Lady #52 Miss Liberty 2010