Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards

Now accepting nominations for Crochetville's 2014 Best of Crochet Awards through September 30, 2014.
Click here to submit your nominations.

Photo

Downsizing baby dress patterns?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tress29

tress29
  • Villager
  • 4 posts

• Joined 18-January 13

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I've seen many gorgeous baby dresses that I'd love to make for my niece's (and my) dolls.  Is there an easy way to downsize them?  Substitute worsted wool for fingerling?  Change from an H hook to an E or F?  While I've been crocheting scarves and afghans for years, I'm new to clothes... 

Thanks for any tips!

Theresa in Indy

#2 magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan
  • Villager
  • 8,702 posts

• Joined 17-January 07

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

how I would do it: experiment with smaller yarn/thread and the corresponding size hook.  Find a pattern that gives you a gauge (stitches and rows per inch), and the dimensions of the finished garment.  then figure out how big the doll dress needs to be, and so what your gauge needs to be.  then you can play with yarns until you achieve that gauge.  then you can use that yarn and hook to make the pattern and it will turn out the right size.  

--Kathy
I'm Kathy-crochet on Ravelry.
It's official--I cannot type the word "stitch", it always comes out "sttich".
Callaway Stitchers crochet, knit, tat, sew, any fiber art! get-together in Fulton MO, Mondays at 5 p.m. Would love to have Villers join us! For more info, send me a PM.

"Advice to new crocheters on choosing a pattern" http://www.crochetvi...ad.php?t=107078